Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Hi,

I have a MacBook 13" i bought about two and a half years ago, and just recently, the battery has decided to die. I can only get about 1 to 1 and a half hours out of it, it dies randomly when i reach the 20% full mark.

Just wanted to know the best option for getting a new battery? (I'm in the UK).
Is the best option to just buy from the Apple Store? Are there cheaper re-sellers of genuine apple batteries?
My laptop is still under an applecare plan, would i be able to claim a new battery off this?

Cheers

Dave

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
If it's stopping the supply of power at 20%, I'd look into getting it replaced under warranty. Over time, it will lose capacity, but it should still be utilizing all of that capacity.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Hey,

just to give you guys a quick update, i took my macbook to the apple store in the bullring (bham, uk) today, and they replaced the battery under the applecare agreement because the batery only had around 3000mAh of capacity where it should have no less that 5000, even after the 298 charge cycles that it had had.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Hey,

just to give you guys a quick update, i took my macbook to the apple store in the bullring (bham, uk) today, and they replaced the battery under the applecare agreement because the batery only had around 3000mAh of capacity where it should have no less that 5000, even after the 298 charge cycles that it had had.

Awesome!
I'm looking to replace my Black MacBooks battery also.

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
do you think they would be able to replace it out of warranty ?
I cant even caibrate my macbooks battery because it just dies at around 20%

Im not in warranty, in the UK.

Any chance of a free or reduced price for a new battery ?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
do you think they would be able to replace it out of warranty ?
I cant even caibrate my macbooks battery because it just dies at around 20%

Im not in warranty, in the UK.

Any chance of a free or reduced price for a new battery ?

How many battery cycles have you used up?

(Click the Apple Logo, hold the Option (alt) key and click on "System Profiler", choose "Power" in the sidebar and then the "Cycle Count" should be somewhere on the right.

If it's relatively low (given the age of your product) they might offer a replacement, but it's unlikely.

Edensuko

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
(mAh): 1747

with 469 cycles.

Macbook Pro Santa rosa, 2 years old.

Is it time for a new battery?

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
How many battery cycles have you used up?

(Click the Apple Logo, hold the Option (alt) key and click on "System Profiler", choose "Power" in the sidebar and then the "Cycle Count" should be somewhere on the right.

If it's relatively low (given the age of your product) they might offer a replacement, but it's unlikely.

my battery is at 62% 3140 mAh, 573 cycles
is that low enough ?

Giambroni

Jun 26, 2011
753!

Hello,
I just checked by battery usage with the coconutbattery application and I have 753 charge cycles with 85% battery life (4266 mAh out of 5020 mAh). I've had my white macbook for 4.5 years.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Hello,
I just checked by battery usage with the coconutbattery application and I have 753 charge cycles with 85% battery life (4266 mAh out of 5020 mAh). I've had my white macbook for 4.5 years.

Only if your battery life isn't satisfactory (and that will be down to your needs).

85% health doesn't sound too bad.

I'd recommend calibrating the battery:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Substitute79

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
I took my MacBook to the Apple store and they just replaced the battery. Macbook is about 2 years out of warrenty.

A new battery hasn't solved all my problems, often my Macbook won't start if I don't have the power cable in, but will work fine on battery after the initial start.

CamCroz99

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2014
What is my best battery replacement option? My white MacBook only has 402 cycles and says "Replace soon". It will not last over an hour.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
As I remember the design target for older Macbook batteries is 500 cycles. But age and even environmental issues (especially temp) can influence the live of a battery.

For the 2010 white Macbook 7,1 units I refurb I bet replacement batteries ftom Terra Power via Amazon for around $55. Terra Power includes the screwdrivers needed to open the Macbook case and remove the battery. Piece of cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.