Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diogosgp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Hi guys,
I'm reading Mac programming for absolute beginners O'Reilly. Some times it's a lit bit confused but I'm still reading.
When I finish this book, I'd like a book that teach us how to code using the interface and examples from the real life.
Do you know if there is any book like that?

Cheers,
Diogo

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Perhaps the 4th edition of Hillegass will be out once you're done with Mac programming for absolute beginners?

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-4th/dp/0321774086

BTW Hillegass has been busy. He's co-authored two other to-be-released books. Advanced Mac OSX Programming and More Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. I look forward to reading them.

Cocoa Recipes for Mac OS X (2e) is another recommendation. It pretty much develops a single app over the course of the book, showing incrementally how the functionality is built up.

Last edited:

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
Perhaps the 4th edition of Hillegass will be out once you're done with Mac programming for absolute beginners?

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-4th/dp/0321774086

BTW Hillegass has been busy. He's co-authored two other to-be-released books. Advanced Mac OSX Programming and More Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. I look forward to reading them.

4th edition? Damn, I just finished the 3rd, it was really outdated but thankfully only a small amount was unusable. If your going to get that (which I strongly recommend), definitely wait for the 4th edition.

In the mean time, this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934356514) is excellent and even better for beginners. It uses real world type examples, just like the approach Hillegass took. I would read this first and then Hillegass'.

diogosgp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Cheers

4th edition? Damn, I just finished the 3rd, it was really outdated but thankfully only a small amount was unusable. If your going to get that (which I strongly recommend), definitely wait for the 4th edition.

In the mean time, this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934356514) is excellent and even better for beginners. It uses real world type examples, just like the approach Hillegass took. I would read this first and then Hillegass'.

Thank you guys very much.
So you recommend that I finish the book I'm reading first.
Some times I get confused because O'Reilly teaches a lot of code but how on earth I'll memorize them. In my opinion it'd be easier if he gave more real world examples.
Cheers

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Thank you guys very much.
So you recommend that I finish the book I'm reading first.
Some times I get confused because O'Reilly teaches a lot of code but how on earth I'll memorize them. In my opinion it'd be easier if he gave more real world examples.
Cheers

Your goal shouldn't be to memorizing chunks of code. Your goal should be to really understand the concepts behind the code. The code is there to demonstrate and reinforce the concepts.

Another goal you should have is to develop your research skills. If you know how to find information, than you don't need to memorize it. No-one has the whole of the Cocoa libraries in their head. The difference between an efficient and inefficient programmer is, in part, their ability to effectively find answers to their questions and solutions to their problems.

Programming is an art. It is creative. Your will never have or be able to find chunks of code that will solve all your problems.

diogosgp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Your goal shouldn't be to memorizing chunks of code. Your goal should be to really understand the concepts behind the code. The code is there to demonstrate and reinforce the concepts.

Another goal you should have is to develop your research skills. If you know how to find information, than you don't need to memorize it. No-one has the whole of the Cocoa libraries in their head. The difference between an efficient and inefficient programmer is, in part, their ability to effectively find answers to their questions and solutions to their problems.

Programming is an art. It is creative. Your will never have or be able to find chunks of code that will solve all your problems.
Yeah I know. It's impossible to memorize all the codes. But that's why I want a book showing real examples. It'll be easier to learn.
Thanks guys

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Yeah I know. It's impossible to memorize all the codes. But that's why I want a book showing real examples. It'll be easier to learn.
Thanks guys

Even the "real examples" may not resonate with what you want to do.

A good exercise for any programming book you read is to try and write some toy code of your own to use the principles that were taught.

e.g. if loops were taught adapt the sample code and concepts to some loop from your world.

B

diogosgp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Even the "real examples" may not resonate with what you want to do.

A good exercise for any programming book you read is to try and write some toy code of your own to use the principles that were taught.

e.g. if loops were taught adapt the sample code and concepts to some loop from your world.

B

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.
What I reckon that's difficult is to find information on the documentation library. But it's probably because I'm a beginner.
Cheers

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009

I used this book also. Very good starters book.

diogosgp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I used this book also. Very good starters book.

It is very good. I've just finish the dictionary and sets chapter. Very interesting.
I'll start reading the next one which containnts the explanation on how to create classes.:apple:

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
Xcode 4 for a beginner?

Following along with this thread, now that Xcode 4 is out, are there any good books out there that utilize this for absolute beginners? I've never personally programmed before, but would like to get started. I have Xcode 4 on my Mac at the moment. Is it recommended for a noob to get rolling on Xcode 3, since most books at the moment deal with that? I guess my thought is that if 4 is out now, that it would make more sense to get going with that? I see Kochan's book integrates Xcode 4 now.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Following along with this thread, now that Xcode 4 is out, are there any good books out there that utilize this for absolute beginners? I've never personally programmed before, but would like to get started. I have Xcode 4 on my Mac at the moment. Is it recommended for a noob to get rolling on Xcode 3, since most books at the moment deal with that? I guess my thought is that if 4 is out now, that it would make more sense to get going with that? I see Kochan's book integrates Xcode 4 now.

Although I haven't gotten it yet, I'd suggest Kochan's book. I've heard many good things about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.