Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple may be working to quickly add new and restored features to Final Cut Pro X, EOSHD reports (via The Next Web) that Apple has begun issuing refunds to at least some customers complaining through the company's customer service channels.
Here is an example of one such email a disappointed pro received from Apple:

"Moving forward, I understand that you are not satisfied with the app "Final Cut Pro". I can certainly appreciate you would like a refund, and I would be more than happy to help you out with this today. In five to seven business days, a credit of £179.99 should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase.

Please note that this is a one time exception because the iTunes Terms and Conditions state that all sales are final."
A thread in Apple's discussion forums reveals a number of other users who have successfully received refunds for their Final Cut Pro X purchases, although some customers have had to make several requests as part of their conversations with Apple support staff before being granted refunds.

fcp_x_header_ratings.jpg

Apple does not have a blanket return and refund policy for App Store applications, although the company has reportedly been required by law to offer one in Taiwan. Apple does offer refunds on a case-by-case basis, however, with customers having reported success gaining refunds for accidental purchases and other extenuating circumstances.

Article Link: Apple Issuing Refunds for Final Cut Pro X Upon Request

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
So after they get the refund do they have to delete the app from their computer? ...

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
Demos and trials seem to be where some of Apple's software might be headed at this rate. I'm impressed that Apple's refunding this software though

Robincognito

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
Good on Apple. However, I'm sure they expected an angry backlash after removing so many professional features. It's clear that Apple feel that the increase in sales from consumer filmmaker enthusiasts will outweight the loss in sales from professionals.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Apple does offer refunds on a case-by-case basis, however, with customers having reported success gaining refunds for accidental purchases and other extenuating circumstances.

I had this happen last year when I bought a $14.99 iPhone app as part of my wife's birthday present, and it didn't measure up to the promised description (or rather I'd say the product description was VERY misleading). I contacted Apple through the customer support section of iTunes and they issued a refund.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So after they get the refund do they have to delete the app from their computer? ...

I was wondering that too.. Because if you get a refund from an App Store for iOS you still get to keep the application.. I think Apple should be able to cancel the license on that account unless repurchased, because people will be scamming that all day.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
What, you think they should be able to continue using it? I'd imagine Apple can disable your license somehow.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS

If it works anything like refunds on iOS apps (based on my limited personal experience), then it appears to be on the honor system (and future updates of the app won't show up in the App Store).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Not really news.

Apple gives refunds for apps all the time, not just for FCPX. It is not policy, and you probably can't do it more than once or twice, but lots of people email Apple and get a refund as a "one time exception."

It's similar to them letting you re-download your iTunes music purchases. It's not policy, but they will let you do it if you ask.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Just like mobile me, I can see it now in a future keynote...
Steve: "Final Cut Pro X was not our finest hour."

zerofour

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011
UK
It seems FCPX is to FCP7 what Quicktime X is to Quicktime 7 :eek:

Glad I'm still using FCS2 to be honest. I'll wait a while before making any more judgement

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I defiantly think a Demo of the software would have been nice. Especially because it was missing so many features. What goof by Apple.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
It seems FCPX is to FCP7 what Quicktime X is to Quicktime 7 :eek:

Glad I'm still using FCS2 to be honest. I'll wait a while before making any more judgement

Yup, and also what iMovie 08 and on is to iMovie 06. :(

I bet Apple will see a spike in people buying FCPX and asking for a refund, now that it's getting out that they're willing to give refunds. A lot of people will try to get it for free that way. If Apple is smart, they'll know what that spike means and stop giving refunds.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
hmmm..

I wonder if Apple is heading downhill with their software now?

Because a complete re-write of a program that took the 10 prior years to build had a bad 1.0 release after its first week on the market? I think you're reading FAR too much into this... After a year or so Apple will have either added back features and won over much of their previous user base or FCPX will be abandoned by pros and adopted by pro-ams everywhere. FCPX is going to be a success, it's just a question of which market it wins over, even both if they quickly play their cards right.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Agree on the Demo option. It seems to be such a no-brainer for this type of software. I just finished, and bought my demo of HDR Efx Pro. I would not have tried or bought the software otherwise without a demo. It starts to be too expensive to risk a no-refund option.

I am impressed that they are offering a refund, especially knowing that news of the refund will (and has) spread like an Arizona fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.