Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2004
recently my imac has been connecting to a neighbor's unprotected wireless network instead of connecting to my airport. Is there a way I can make it connect to mine? My internet service is faster so I would definitely prefer to be using mine!

I've tried going through "network preferences" and haven't found a way to successfully manually select which network to join.

It looks like his router's signal is the strongest one being found and so my imac will join that network. This has only been going on for a few days and I haven't changed anything in my set-up recently.

What can I do to get it back to using my own wireless router?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Network Preferences > Advanced > AirPort > Preferred Networks

Drag networks into the order you prefer to join. Click the "-" to remove an unwanted network from the list.

bdunaway

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
blocking a network

I saw a reply as to how to block a neighbor's etwork that's hijacking my Mac. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand the person's answer to someone else's same question.

I saw that I need to drag my desired network to the top of the list, but I can't see how to access the "-" and delete it. Where and what is the "-"?

Thanks!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
neighbor's unprotected wireless network

You could be a good neighbour and pop round and help them set up a password! Thats what I had to do with my neighbour as she had no idea I could use her wifi and hack into her computer. Had to laugh when showing her what to do as she was about to give me the password to put in for her!

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I saw a reply as to how to block a neighbor's etwork that's hijacking my Mac. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand the person's answer to someone else's same question.

I saw that I need to drag my desired network to the top of the list, but I can't see how to access the "-" and delete it. Where and what is the "-"?

Thanks!

Bottom left corner of the screen in System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced there is a +- button that says : Drag networks into the order you prefer. If you select the one you want to delete and then click - , it will disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.