Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Blob monster

It looks like Apple is about to aggressively combat the “replay attacks” that have until now allowed users to use iTunes to restore to previous firmware versions using saved SHSH blobs.

Those of you who have been jailbreaking for a while have probably heard us periodically warn you to “save your blobs” for each firmware using either Cydia or TinyUmbrella (or even the “copy from /tmp during restore” method for advanced users). Saving your blobs for a given firmware on your specific device allows you to restore *that* device to *that* firmware even after Apple has stopped signing it. That’s all about to change.

Starting with the iOS5 beta, the role of the “APTicket” is changing — it’s being used much like the “BBTicket” has always been used. The LLB and iBoot stages of the boot sequence are being refined to depend on the authenticity of the APTicket, which is uniquely generated at each and every restore (in other words, it doesn’t depend merely on your ECID and firmware version…it changes every time you restore, based partly on a random number). This APTicket authentication will happen at every boot, not just at restore time. Because only Apple has the crypto keys to properly sign the per-restore APTicket, replayed APTickets are useless.

This will only affect restores starting at iOS5 and onward, and Apple will be able to flip that switch off and on at will (by opening or closing the APTicket signing window for that firmware, like they do for the BBTicket). geohot’s limera1n exploit occurs before any of this new checking is done, so tethered jailbreaks will still always be possible for devices where limera1n applies. Also, restoring to pre-5.0 firmwares with saved blobs will still be possible (but you’ll soon start to need to use older iTunes versions for that). Note that iTunes ultimately is *not* the component that matters here..it’s the boot sequence on the device starting with the LLB.

Although it’s always been just “a matter of time” before Apple started doing this (they’ve always done this with the BBTicket), it’s still a significant move on Apple’s part (and it also dovetails with certain technical requirements of their upcoming OTA “delta” updates).

Note: although there may still be ways to combat this, a beta period is really not the time or place to discuss them. We’re just letting you know what Apple has already done in their exisiting beta releases — they’ve stepped up their game!

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/6952986620/blob-monster

i guess people are really going to need to avoid upgrading from Fall on.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Looks like we're in for nasty weather.

Nah j/k this will just be another minor inconvenience while jailbreaking,
And might be possible to circumvent.

If they enforce this after beta (i bet they will), its gonna suck for those who want to downgrade to iOS 5.x.x +
Luckily this is a minority.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I don't see this being a big deal at all. I've never felt the need to ever downgrade my main firmware. Once the latest firmware is jailbroken I get on it. Only thing I'd be concerned about is the ability to maintain an unlock while being on newer firmware.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
It is not so much the downgrade but it is also if you ever have a problem and have to restore you will have to update to a possibly un jailbreakable iOS

I never had any problem after jailbreaking thus see no needs to restore.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
So let me understand how this works..lets say(Since I am on 4.3.3 right now) and I jailbreak(When jailbreakme comes out for my iPad 2) and I have some kind of issue with the iPad and I have to restore..I would have to upgrade to IOS 5 even though I already saved my SHSH blob for 4.3.3..I cant just restore to 4.3.3?

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
So let me understand how this works..lets say(Since I am on 4.3.3 right now) and I jailbreak(When jailbreakme comes out for my iPad 2) and I have some kind of issue with the iPad and I have to restore..I would have to upgrade to IOS 5 even though I already saved my SHSH blob for 4.3.3..I cant just restore to 4.3.3?

I have copy and paste the answer from the original post for you.

"Also, restoring to pre-5.0 firmwares with saved blobs will still be possible (but you’ll soon start to need to use older iTunes versions for that)."

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
if you have the 4.3.3 blobs you can always downgrade/ restore to that. However if you buy a device that is on iOS 5 and you cant get the 4.3.3 blobs you will be forced to go to the latest version. Take this scenario

Buy an iPhone4 on iOS 5.0 (when it is released)
jailbreak (obviously if/when this is released)
apple release iOS 5.1 (no jailbreak available)
your iPhone4 craps up and you need to restore.
You are forced to go to the un-jailbreakable iOS 5.1

this is why having blobs backed up helped incase anything went wrong, by the look of it backing them up will no longer be an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.