Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Hopefully these new MacBook Airs will come with the same USB thumb drive containing OS X as the October 2010 models, but in this case containing 10.7.0.

Lion has a restore partition so including external media is unnecessary.

pjperez

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Awesome City
I never felt the need to order any Apple Product the second it was announced, but for reasons only know to the dark side of my brain, the moment this new Air hits the Apple Store I will be ordering one.

Same goes for me, but mainly because my 7-year-old Windows laptop finally died on me last year, and no way am I getting a new Windows machine (XP I loved, all OSes since have just annoyed me), and the Air seemed like the perfect fit between an iPad and a MacBook Pro. But no sense in me buying the existing model if something much better is coming along in a month or so.

But I hate that I've now become one of those people waiting on baited breath for every rumor of its release. ;)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Forgive me if I'm being dumb, but I genuinely don't know. What if you're hard drive, with the recovery partition on it fails? How would you recover something unrecoverable? Would the Air be totaly broken and need taking to apple for a new hard drive?

Yep, that seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

How would you change the hard drive if the recovery partition is on it. Say I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger one, the partition wouldn't be there so how do I reinstall. I wouldn't have access to the MAS as there wouldn't be an OS on my hard drive at this point?

Why would you change hard drive elsewhere than at the Apple store.

Again, this seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

Not that I agree or am happy about it (frankly, I want nothing to do with the MAS), but that's where they seem to be headed and they don't really give a damn about all the scenarios we can make up where their way doesn't work.

You will need either a USB thumb drive or DVD if you want to erase the internal HDD.

You can't do that from the Recovery partition.

Sure you can. Just make sure to erase the destination partition only, not the recovery partition. Again guys, this is where Apple is headed. I really doubt people who get new Macs after Lion will have recovery media when there's no Lion media to begin with. It's all MAS/Recovery partitions from here on out.

We'll see for sure when it comes out, but start preparing your whines and complaints already, I'm pretty sure you'll need them.

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
Would this mean that MacBook Pros would also begin shipping with Lion on its launch date, like the Airs, or would they need a few days for the supply to "catch up" with installing 10.7?

JasperJanssen

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Why would they ? Lion will have a recovery partition and you can always redownload it from the MAS if you need to reinstall.

With the way Apple is doing Lion, I'm thinking July will mean the end of "recovery" media with Macs, including the Air's thumb drive and DVDs with other Macs.

If your hard drive gets corrupted, with or without a replacement, then you're going to need something else to boot from.

My guess: a half-gig (or whatever is the lowest capacity still worth manufacturing) bootable USB drive that only boots and accesses the MAS.

gibstros

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Texas
17'' MacBook Air Please

Air and iMac are front and center, followed by the macbook pro and mac mini. And left to languish are the macbook(which may get the axe as the price is the same as an entry level air) and the mac pro.....

Makes sense to me. I don't understand why they don't release a 17 inch MacBook Air with a backlit keyboard. I use the DVD drive about once a year in my MacBook Pro. Give me the features of the MacBook Pro in the form factor of the MacBook Air and I will be first in line to buy one.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If your hard drive gets corrupted, with or without a replacement, then you're going to need something else to boot from.

My guess: a half-gig (or whatever is the lowest capacity still worth manufacturing) bootable USB drive that only boots and accesses the MAS.

Again, Apple doesn't care about the scenarios we make up where their way doesn't work. It's plainly obvious from the limited option (singular) with which they plan to offer Lion.

We'll see, but my money is on "Their way or the highway" with no recovery media in sight.

I know about all the scenarios where this would be a problem, don't shoot the messenger, we've all discussed these at lengths already.

cassians

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Would this mean that MacBook Pros would also begin shipping with Lion on its launch date, like the Airs, or would they need a few days for the supply to "catch up" with installing 10.7?

Once Lion Gold Master Build is released, they'll start putting them onto the pros/iMac/macbooks/mac minis, but of course after they have fitted all the airs with Lion first.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Good for you. Apple works on their schedule, not yours. They will do whatever they damned well pleases them.

If you want to change that, please contact Apple's board of directors and have them appoint you as Apple CEO.

You must be a blast to hang out with.

Excited for this refresh. I'll be picking an Air up for a christmas present to myself :)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
AppleNApps - Really? - what kind of "sources" does this guy have - my source is that I want this to come true so I'll post that it should come true on so and so date - give me a break :)

JasperJanssen

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Again, Apple doesn't care about the scenarios we make up where their way doesn't work. It's plainly obvious from the limited option (singular) with which they plan to offer Lion.

We'll see, but my money is on "Their way or the highway" with no recovery media in sight.
One way or another though, each Apple Retail Store and APR will have to have copies of boot disks (because they cannot repair macs at all, otherwise). They may not want consumers to have recovery images, but they have to exist. And somehow I don't think they will stay only in there.

If not provided with a new mac, I suspect there will either be a "Create a recovery disk/usbstick" utility or something will filter out onto the internet.

If nothing else, backing up the restore partition to a USB stick with the proper incantations should yield a bootable USB restore stick.

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Yep, that seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

Why would you change hard drive elsewhere than at the Apple store.

Again, this seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

Not that I agree or am happy about it (frankly, I want nothing to do with the MAS), but that's where they seem to be headed and they don't really give a damn about all the scenarios we can make up where their way doesn't work.

Thanks for your response, I assume your thinking is right it does look like the way Apple are going. Its a shame, but if thats the way they want it thats the way it will be I guess.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land

I know about all the scenarios where this would be a problem, don't shoot the messenger, we've all discussed these at lengths already.

I don't think they can do that yet.

Their are people who live hundreds of miles from Apple stores. What are they going to do when their HDD fails? Ship the laptop off to Apple for an OS install? This seems crazy to me.

You may be right but it just seems crazy to me.

Myself I'll be making an install thumb drive when Lion goes gold.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't think they can do that yet.

When has that stopped them before ? ;) (FCPX, Xserve, Lion distribution, the floppy drive!)

Their are people who live hundreds of miles from Apple stores. What are they going to do when their HDD fails? Ship the laptop off to Apple for an OS install? This seems crazy to me.

And to anyone else that is sane, but again, when has that stopped Apple ?

You may be right but it just seems crazy to me.

Myself I'll be making an install thumb drive when Lion goes gold.

As anyone should do. In fact, I do believe Apple should've simply shipped it as part of the install application you download. Clicking on it should offer to install Lion or create bootable recovery/installation media. This process can be made simple and intuitive easily.

But they don't seem to be going that route.

I'm guessing we all need to prepare for a very long confrontational thread titled "Apple moving away from recovery media with new Macs" sometime late July, where a few people here will insist this is moving forward and that anyone saying this is a bad thing is a luddite and "stuck in the old ways" while a few other people come up with dozens upon dozens of scenarios where this won't work.

In the end, it'll be Apple's way or the highway. I really hope I'm seeing too much into the whole Lion distribution thing, but it's what I'm expecting at this point.

mprofit

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Atlanta
Once Lion Gold Master Build is released, they'll start putting them onto the pros/iMac/macbooks/mac minis, but of course after they have fitted all the airs with Lion first.

So, in other words it's safe to assume a Pro ordered on or a few days after Lion's release will come with Lion preloaded?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.