Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider notes that MacBook supplies have become "severely constrained" at a number of third-party retailers, suggesting that Apple may be drawing down stocks ahead of a refresh.
Specifically, Amazon, MacConnection, On Sale and J&R are all out of stock. In addition, inventory of the entry-level portable is low at DataVision.

In addition, one of Europe's largest distributors is completely out of stock of the white MacBook, and lists no estimated time of arrival for new shipments. Sources indicated that this is unusual, but not necessarily a sign that the current model will be discontinued.
Shipping estimates for orders made through Apple's online stores around the world remain at "within 24 hours", suggesting that the shortages have not yet extended to Apple's own distribution channels. But shortages at third-party retailers are frequently the first indications of Apple preparing to release updated models.

macbook_2010.jpg

As noted in our Buyer's Guide, Apple is well overdue for a MacBook refresh as judged by its usual update cycle, having last updated the MacBook in May 2010.

Rumors of updated MacBooks have been essentially nonexistent, although the Machine will presumably make the shift to Intel's Sandy Bridge platform and include Thunderbolt support. And while no specific timeframe for an update has been offered, the line is clearly one of many including the MacBook Air, Mac Pro and Mac mini that are due for an update. Apple has been said to be holding new hardware launches until OS X Lion is ready, and so we may see a flood of new releases once the operating system debuts next month.

Article Link: MacBook Supplies Tightening at Third-Party Retailers Ahead of Potential Refresh

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Thank goodness, it's been waaaaaaay too long.

The new MacBook Air should just replace the MacBook. It serves no purpose anymore.

I don't understand this. The MacBook is more powerful than the Air (I believe), is more upgradable, more feature packed (dvd drive) and is cheaper than the MacBook Pro. And the only way to get a bigger screened MacBook Air is if you fork up 1500ish.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I'm not certain the MacBook would get Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is such a high-end connectivity standard and adds additional cost to the device that I could see Apple opting to wait until the next iteration for Thunderbolt support, since the MacBook is purely aimed at the entry level.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
?

RAM upgradable, Hard drive upgradable and faster MacBook going to be replaced with MacBook AIR?

and you going to upgrade to $1199 to real laptop.

I am not worried about the guys who want to have MBA as second computer or third computer.

MacBook at $999 is the best entry level laptop in apple line up.

please do not spread this rumor unless MBA has a minimum 4GB RAM and 128GB hard drive space.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
it's looking more and more like Apple will be releasing new hardware across the board to pair with Lion.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
RAM upgradable, Hard drive upgradable and faster MacBook going to be replaced with MacBook AIR?

and you going to upgrade to $1199 to real laptop.

I am not worried about the guys who want to have MBA as second computer or third computer.

MacBook at $999 is the best entry level laptop in apple line up.

please do not spread this rumor unless MBA has a minimum 4GB RAM and 128GB hard drive space.
to be fair, the white macbook (current model) has only 2gb too (with 4gb bto ofc). But yea, if it does get refreshed, it will get to 4gb standard. probably will have the same specs as the 13" mbp, as it always had...

davjaxn

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
Serves NO purpose?

The new MacBook Air should just replace the MacBook. It serves no purpose anymore.

Not sure I would go so far as to say it servers no purpose compared to the (identically priced) Air. Larger screen, 4X the storage space, superdrive, more IO, upgradable RAM...

I love the Air (in fact I will place an order for one for my wife the day the new ones are released) but the MacBook is still a great entry level computer with a bit more muscle and storage. I would love to see an updated version to replace my 3.5 year old iMac.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
to be fair, the white macbook (current model) has only 2gb too (with 4gb bto ofc). But yea, if it does get refreshed, it will get to 4gb standard. probably will have the same specs as the 13" mbp, as it always had...

for $50 from newegg you can upgrade the RAM to 8GB.

you do not have option in MBA.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
If they are intent on keeping the MacBook they ought to stick a weak non-hyperthread enabled i5 or i3 in there and charge $799. Otherwise, I don't see the point of it.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
If they are intent on keeping the MacBook they ought to stick a weak non-hyperthread enabled i5 or i3 in there and charge $799. Otherwise, I don't see the point of it.

it's purpose will be like it has always been, and at the 999$ price: A cheaper, plastic macbook pro which lacks 1-2 ports.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i was supposed to get a mac book last year but ordered a macbook pro by mistake xD haven't regretted it at all

oh and women still prefer the white plastic mac book and don't care much about the specs i believe

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

You're taking the view of other PC manufacturers... remember, Apple's average markup on computers is around $300, whereas other manufacturers are around $50 or below.

No, Apple will use an i3 or an i5, and still stick to a $999 price point.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
As a proud Macbook owner(6,1 model). I must say, I could have afforded the MBP but honestly, I wanted a white laptop. I upgraded the RAM and HD on the cheap from OWC. Couldn't be happier. Love the color mostly, some will say thats dumb, I say dont tell me how to spend my money :)

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Not care for girly Macbooks. Where the hell is my SUPERDRIVELESS MBP instead.
By the way....sorry for going off topic ;)

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
MacBook is for poor people who can't afford something decent, so yes, I think Apple will keep selling them and will update them soon.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wonder if this will be the last update for the macbook... or maybe it will be replaced by the 7 inch MBA... hmm :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.