Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gummiborgar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I was using my MacBook yesterday and I got a warning telling me that someone else is using your IP. The mouse started to be funny and not doing things that I wanted it to do.

Then I just let it go and then the mouse started to move around going into my history, systematically opening folders and then I just hit the shut down button.

Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem. It seems that somehas broken into my computer and has taken control

Thx if someone can tell me something to do.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Are you using your Mac on a home wireless network? If so, make sure your network is secured with a complex WPA2 password. Also, as -aggie- recommended, turn on your firewall and enable stealth mode.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
please post the rest of your story as it plays out.
We may never hear the rest of the story. Since this is their first and only post in the forum, there is only about a 33% chance the OP will ever post again.

gummiborgar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Follow up.

I will definitely post what happens and what I did. If this is going to work I appreciate the help I got. And the least thing I can do Is at least let the people that helped me now if it worked or not.

Regards
Gummi

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I have no doubt that you are probably correct.

I am/was curious if the OP left VNC enabled with no passwd, had a Trojan installed by providing the admin passwd, or something like that.

I highly suspect that there is a lesson of caution to be learned by all of us here.

We may never hear the rest of the story. Since this is their first and only post in the forum, there is only about a 33% chance the OP will ever post again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I will definitely post what happens and what I did. If this is going to work I appreciate the help I got. And the least thing I can do Is at least let the people that helped me now if it worked or not.

Regards
Gummi
Thanks for beating the odds and posting again! Did you read my earlier post #3?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Unfortunately, none of the answers here are likely on track. They are all playing off your assumption that your computer has been somehow "broken in to".

First, it would be helpful to show us the EXACT error message. Not your paraphrase, but the exact words. And what you were doing when you got the message.

However, I can give a good guess. (But only a guess in absence of complete information.)

This message means that there is another device on your home network that has the same IP address as your Macbook. This would normally only happen if you are using static addressing and you've plugged-in the same IP address on two or more devices. The primary symptom would be flakey or completely non-functional networking on the devices with the identical addresses.

Tell us about your home network. (Router, etc.) Do you have an iPhone, iPad, Internet-connected TV, etc. etc. etc.?

Normally, today, in a home network, each device will be set up to "obtain an IP address automatically" (i.e. get an address from a DHCP server). Your router is a DHCP server, and will give each device a unique address. You need to make sure your router is set up for this (normally is by default) and that it's been set with a sufficiently large "address pool" for the number of devices (and possible guest devices) in your house.

Should you, for some reason, have more than one router, (I have a second WiFi router in my living room, for example, to provide complete coverage) you need to make sure you are running DHCP on only one of the routers.

gummiborgar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Feedback of my first post !

Thx for all replies.

Things I have done !!!

(GGJstudios)
I have turned on the firewall and enabled stealth mode.

I have checked the password for the router and it is now WPA2 password.

For the DHCP server it is turned on.

About my computers and router.

i have several of macs in the home and mac mini. I have also iphones and ipads. One windows computer (Hope no one nows where I live :) )

I have two routers but they are not the same wireless, i have different password and name for different router.

Facts about the problem:
When this happened i was in the same room as the other person and we both started to watch the screen while someone as i would prefer to say was browsing through my computer. I was propably browsing hotmail or Facebook when it first happened. And the second time when it happened I was just browsing Facebook and some other stuff hotmail and news pages. This computer is mostly used for browsing and not working with programs and other stuff.

Question:
Lets say i have opened and installed some **** from a hacker that wants to get access to my computer and I have trojan on my computer. How can i know, how can i get rid of it ???

I will keep posting If there is something new that happens. And I appreciate if someone else has a input to this threat. But until now there has been no strange activity on my computer and I hope something worked out, but if it happens again I will start to post again and I will try to record it to my phone and upload on youtube so everybody can just see this strange sh**.

Regards
Gummi

oyibo45

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
I'm in a hotel using their wifi and got the same message as OP. Creepy to say the least. I did not lose control of my cursor but I quickly shut down my wifi, enabled wifi again and got the message that someone else was using my I.P. address. I am know tethering off my Xoom tablet's 3G (ducks before fruit/beer bottles are thrown at me for using a Xoom) ahem, anyway... I went to my Settings/Security and Privacy/Firewall and set up my firewall to block all incoming connections except those required for basic internet services. Has another guest at this hotel accessed my I.P. address? Should I be worried? :confused:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Use ransom characters for your passcode for your router. Mine is over 25 random characters, the more the better. I also have my SSID hidden, not sure it helps, but I'll try anything to help.

Pirate Pete 13

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
Warning Error! Some one is using your IP adress??

Had a warning pop up on my Mac Book a couple of days ago saying

WARING SOME ONE IS USING YOUR IP ADDRESS FROM THIS ADRESS,

I saw another forum saying to turn on the firewall and stealth mode,
i use plex to connect my Computer to my TV, but thats about it,been using it for a month or so and haven't ever had any messages pop up??

Should i be worried??

Have just turned on the Fire Wall and stealth mod.

Any help would be Much appreciated!

beyondbelivable

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
"security expert" told me that 4 foreign addresses were using my ip address.

Yes, if you think it is happening then it is. How about this, remove java from your computer, go to sites that require java. Do it quick, if you get the site, guess what? Click off a page unexpectedly, you may see a page behind yours for a brief mini second, maybe in a foreign language. Slow computer, classic sign. I was told that the hackers embed into an essential microsoft and probably apple program, which doesn't disrupt your everyday activities. The purpose of this hack is to use your computer without your knowledge on your ip address. REALLY SCARY. Don't speculate. Find an expert and/or get another ip address. I assume that the "authorities" are following these activities, and maybe you! But if you are legit, then having them on board is a welcome relief. If the authorities are not watching these activities, then our Country is is bad shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.