Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I don't see how a poor person can somehow get the $1,000 for a white MacBook... but can't find $200 more for a MacBook Pro...

Take me for example and some other thoughts.

1) I wanted a white laptop
2) At the time, my 6,1 rev model was better spec'd than the 13"MBP at the time.
3) People have preferences, maybe they like the feel and look more than the pro
4) Price, in todays world $200 is still a good chunk of change, esepcially if you don need more ports, etc...that the pro offers.
5) People spend their money how they want

Just saying, I could have easily afforded the extra $200 to get the base pro, but I wanted white, and I could upgrade my RAM and HD on the cheap myself. Now I have a nice macbook with more ram, more hd space, in a package I want. Couldn't be happier. :)

aery

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
Canada
A white MacBook was my first Mac computer, I absolutely loved it and my only complaint was that the white polycarbonate scratched easily.

It was my first Mac as well and I still think it's a great entry level device. I had the last revision before the unibody and still managed to get the dreaded cracked top case although it was a small crack. Anyway, it has now been passed on to my sister as her first Mac and I'm loving my new iMac. I would still recommend the MacBook, although at this point in time I would lean more towards the Pro.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Since everything is stuck with the Intel HD 3000, whatever is the cheapest notebook. Product differentiation gets far to vague when it comes to Apple. Once you see one part of the lineup, (9400M G, 320M, etc.) you have seen it all. It breaks down to how much you want to cough up to run OS X. For me, the least amount possible if at all.

Monserrat

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Wait For Macbook Upgrade?!

:confused: I'm Not Sure If I should Wait For An Upgrade Of The MacBook (I really like that model) Or Just Get A 13'' in. Macbook Pro. What Do You Guys Think?!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Hmm . . . I'm looking to get one of these white MacBooks for my Mother, in order to replace an Acer running Ubuntu.

Price drop imminent. Better jump on it before they're all gone.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Just saying, I could have easily afforded the extra $200 to get the base pro, but I wanted white, and I could upgrade my RAM and HD on the cheap myself. Now I have a nice macbook with more ram, more hd space, in a package I want. Couldn't be happier. :)

But you know, deep down, and secretly, you would love to have the aluminum unibody with back-lit keys

aery

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
Canada
:confused: I'm Not Sure If I should Wait For An Upgrade Of The MacBook (I really like that model) Or Just Get A 13'' in. Macbook Pro. What Do You Guys Think?!

You could always just wait and see what happens with the MacBook and then get it cheaper through Apple refurb once they either refresh or discontinue.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
You can buy a 13" MacBook Pro at Micro Center for $999. The only thing that would legitimize the MacBook (in my mind) is if its price were dropped by $100-$200. As others have said, it has no place, at the moment. Apple would probably be better off this way. The baseline MBP, MB, and MBA are way to close in price.

Tminusg

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I think if apple married a mac mini with an ipad without the screen (like the desktop version of the air) and sold it for 599$ it would kill!!!!

akhbhaat

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2010
I'm one of those who feels that the white Macbook no longer has a place. I don't know if they'll kill it just yet, but it does appear to be as good as dead regardless. To wit:

1.) The design (with respect to the rest of Apple's lineup) is dated. Some people like it, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't really "fit" anymore, and for a company that places such an emphasis on design and aesthetic, that's important to consider.

2.) It's beyond obvious the Apple/Jobs considers iOS-style devices to represent the future of everyday computing for average users. The real "entry level" computer is the iPad. For those who demand a bit more, there's the Macbook Air (which is now available at the $1000 price point and beginning to resemble the iOS machines with flash memory, super thin/light profile, and OS X Lion). And that leaves the Macbook Pro for the developers, content creators, and power users. It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with that approach; that's apparently how Apple sees it and that's how they're going to proceed.

3.) To expand upon #2: there's now significant overlap between the Macbook and Macbook Air. Sure, you can upgrade the RAM and HDD in the white Macbook, but how many actually do? And how many even need to? My grandmother actually has a white Macbook, which she rarely uses (and certainly not to its potential). I actually agree with Steve that she'd be better off with an iPad.

If there's one thing that might keep the Macbook alive a bit longer, it's the price/capacity problems that linger with SSD storage. There are still plenty of average users out there who might otherwise be a perfect fit for the MBA, but still demand a lot of storage space. Apple may well accelerate that process by pushing people to use external drives for heavy storage (Thunderbolt should eventually help to facilitate that).

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Many people are glossing over the addition of info that Mac Mini will be getting an update.

If Mac Mini gets and update, it could be a perfect modular minitower with the addition of Thunderbolt.

All of the things you can't do to add extra graphics power, hard drives and more will be easy and upgradable with ThunderBolt.

ie, you could buy a mac mini, only need to add Ram to the unit itself, then you can add an extra Hard Drive with an upgraded graphics chip. which in turn could power a killer monitor, or heck maybe even output to Apple tv and make your living room big screen a monitor.

There is tons of potential there for Mac Mini, with the addition of LightPeak Technology, it finally gets possibilities to be more than it is when it leaves the factory

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
But you know, deep down, and secretly, you would love to have the aluminum unibody with back-lit keys

I dont need backlit keys, I hardly ever use my comp in pitch black or darker areas. I'm not a heavy user, and I like the white! I secretly deep down really dont want it. If anything, if I didnt love the Macbook line as much as I do, I'd get the air, just because of its ultra portability!:)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The new MacBook Air should just replace the MacBook. It serves no purpose anymore.

The "no purpose" qualifier is ridiculous.

However, I could easily see Apple dashing MacBook on the rocks to be replaced by the Air. Doubt it will happen, but they tend to do dicky things like that every so often to promote some technological thrust. I'd hope if they chop the MacBook that they would do it with a basic Air price of $899. Doubt that, too.

With Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt, an external drive and DVD makes the Air much more desirable. You just load it up before you disconnect and you have a much more comfortable laptop/portable.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
should probably lower the price. even if it does see some decent upgrades (i3/i5, 1440x900, 4gb, etc) it probably still wouldn't get bought over the entry mbp if it's still $999.

i REALLY don't understand why apple just doesn't introduce a more affordable model. of course they sell already at the current price point but it's arguable that they would sell more at a lower starting price and appeal to more people and most importantly, offer os x to more people at a more affordable price.

$800 1440x900 i3 macbook with a solid gpu. unlikely but would be nice.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I don't understand the "macbook has no purpose" line... If it gets the same specs as the 13" MBP, it will be a cheaper and plastic MB.
If you don't care about the aluminum, why would you buy an MBP13" instead of the MB? To me it makes more sense to say the 13" macbook pro doesn't fit in apple's laptop line-up...

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I don't think Apple will kill the white MacBook yet, but it is definitely on it's way out. Just based on observations of watching people at my local Apple Store, people are drawn to the MacBook Pros and the iPads the most. The White MacBooks are hardly shown any interest.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Of course there is a purpose for an entry-level, cheap Apple laptop.

E.g., parents or older people

They don't need a light and small laptop. 11" is too small for them (bad eysight). They DO need a built-in CD/DVD, because they have a lot of music on CDs, and still buy CDs. Still, they wanna use iTunes and iPods, and rip music.

They don't care about looks (white not being "cool"). And they don't need bells and whistles (e.g. SSD instead of a HD or Thunderbolt).

Apple would be stupid to kill that market.
At least until the iPad can do things like ripping music. Really, you won't believe what a big deal this is for older generations.

-t

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Just looking at the options from what I would consider to be a typical consumer's point-of-view...

The assumption I'm making here is that the consumer has a very basic knowledge of computers and an Apple employee in the retail store has walked them through the basics. Also, no after-market upgrades (Apple-offered upgrades only). I think the thought process looks something like this:

13" Macbook - $1099
  • Cheapest option in the notebook line (good for wallet, but what does that mean in terms of quality?)
  • White may or may not be appealing depending on your preferences
  • Decent processor that will work for most folks
  • Upgrade the RAM to 4GB on employee's recommendation
  • Possible Con to a tech savvy shopper: No SSD Option

13" Air - $1478
  • Flash storage (128GB) makes this machine FAST compared to other units. That is likely one of the first things any consumer is going to notice aside from aesthetics. Even though the processor doesn't have the power of the others, the consumer is unlikely to notice due to performance from SSD.
  • A little more expensive [+$379 over Macbook in this comparison]
  • Industrial design, light, thin, cool (in both sense of the word). Wow! factor cannot be underestimated with Airs.
  • Employee may have pointed out better screen resolution than Macbook and Macbook Pro at 13"
  • Upgrade RAM to 4GB on employee's recommendation
  • Have to purchase SuperDrive [$79]

13" Macbook Pro -$1449
  • I think there is a Wow! factor with Pro units. Consumers feel like they are stepping into a machine that professionals use. It is an image/ego boost.
  • Largely the same as the Macbook in terms of specs other than faster processor (2.7 GHz)
  • More expensive [+350 over Macbook]
  • Better aesthetics depending on personal preference
  • 4GB RAM standard
  • Upgrade to 128GB Solid State Drive to put it on par with Air.

So, with all of that said, I think it is pretty clear that the Macbook still has a place in the line for folks that may not be willing to spend that extra $350/$379 to jump up to a Pro or Air. The reason that so many people continue to buy crappy Windows laptops is because of cost, like it or not.

If a consumer decides that they don't want the Macbook and that it may be worth it to spend a little extra, I think you have a fairly close race between the Air and the Pro in this scenario. The price difference is a mere $29. At that point, it becomes a trade-off between portability vs. a faster processor. Other than that, the specs are extremely similar.

In my opinion, many consumers will choose the Wow!/coolness factor of the Air over the Pro given the above scenario. It is hard to ignore how light and portable the Air is (and the better screen resolution, for the more tech savvy).

Just my 2 cents (or maybe 3). :)

amandasaurus

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
I was waiting for the MBA refresh, but if they refresh the MB and it has 4GB RAM standard and better casing, I'd be in, assuming price points stay the same. I have a 2007 MB right now, and that poor thing got scratched to hell within months of using it, even with a hard case on (apparently if dust particles manage to get in between the hard case and the laptop, it scratches even *worse*). While the MBA is a great portable machine, if I could get 13" MB instead of 11" for the same price, I'd be thrilled.

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
I really don't think that Apple will stop creating MacBooks or Mac Mini's. But we'll have to wait until Lion's release to see something new :)

I have a last year's white MacBook, and I'm very - very happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.