Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuna9720

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Well is that even possible, I've been searching this , and there are many threads out there saying that it won't work with a power pc , only on intel macs. And a few is saying it does boot..

Somehow I do remember I did get that to boot from a usb drive , for some reason it doesn't work now when I restart and hit the option button , it doesn't give that choice..

So anyways, am I just dreaming , and is that not going to work at all?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
yes osx can't boot from from usb thumb drive with ppc....i did however manager to install os 9 on thumb drive and it will boot...go figure....

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
This is why I thought about getting an old Firewire iPod. Great for backup / recovery purposes

Heh.. I thought about that too, but then went the whole hog and just bought a couple more PowerMac Desktops I can use as boot drives via FW Target Mode.... Admittedly not the smallest option, but the line of Towers does look quite good.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
Yeah, but you have to dork around in OpenFirmware to get it to work right and it doesn't always work. See here for an example.

Oddly enough, I seem to recall that the Yikes! G4s can boot from USB but not Firewire.

With some, not with others, some will boot usb just by holding option during boot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.