Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iperson21

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I have an iPod Touch, and just recently got a DROID Incredible 2.
I still love both devices, but i feel like my droid does some things better, and my ipod does some things better.
For android, i <3 the bigger screen, the pull-down notifications, widgets, scrollable docks (launcher pro) different launchers, live wallpapers, and the fact that i can download apps off the internet and install them, even if they arent on the market.

for my ipod touch, i love the web browsing in camparision to my droid. i also like the more easy to use app store. another plus is itunes syncing. Yes, i realize its slow and everything, but its an easy way to get all my files from my computer>ipod. but, of course, i can't download files OTA like i can on my droid via mediafire, cloud, dropbox, etc.

for me, i think android is close, but not yet there on being better than iOS, but Ice Cream Sandwich or me having a Nexus S might have changed my look of android.

for me, the iPhone has become too mainstream for no good reason, since i think the form factor of iphone sucks, and honestly, some android phones are hell of a lot better.

zetsurin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It's just perception.

The truth is that nobody even joins those threads to defend iPhone because the would be stooping to their level.

No relevant conversation can be had at this time because iPhone is so far ahead on so many fundamental levels, the choice is not even in question so the majority don't bother. Everything has already been said awhile ago in threads from back in the day.

But then EVERY SINGLE android fan will chip in because it's the chip on their shoulder and they always participate, propagating the notion that you feel people don't defend it.

It's that insecurity that makes them come here when we don't go there. Obviously the iPhone is the barometer that everything is up against so they are jealous of that and our response is just to ignore it.

So therefore all the conversations of late seem one sided. I was in there defending for awhile (in the trenches) but then I got in trouble for breaking conversation rules reall fast so I'm like forget it. I'm not gonna get into it with those people because it's pointless really and we are not really allowed to put down their opinions and make them feel silly.

Absolutely 100% biased, and wrong. You must be new to the web as Apple fans are notorious for going to all corners of the web to defend the Apple brand.

mrmacosx

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I haven't made any statements. I haven't brought up any topic points for you to say that about. There is no arguments or opinions/ideas on the table. The scope of this is not details.

If I was arguing it would be choppy scrolling, laggy behavior, and generic design.

Now just like in science we can have theories and experiments, in conversations/debates we can employ logic using the rules of sound reasoning and critical thinking.

People always say opinion this opinion that butthat is more of a social PC notion to not make anyone feel bad or defensive. But when aspiring to find truth, methods can be used to reach logical conclusions.

In a logical debate the iPhone is clearly a winner, but they know that so they use sleeze tactics to try to downplay the glory of Apple like it's just another equal contender with subliminals and choice of phrases that indirectly try to attack the notion that iPhone is the best and there is no competition arguably.

They can't argue straight on directly so they try to do it in sneaky round about ways and it's all with the intent to get under our skin.

It's like aggie said, it's an iPhone message board! Have some respect and come back when Galaxy S 3 come out, maybe we can have a reasonable debate then.

You've already shown clear bias towards the iPhone, so your opinion (or, as you call it, 'facts') is useless, by your own definition.

I am not afraid or angry at the idea of a phone beating the iPhone, but I do get annoyed when people subliminally act like it has already happened when it clearly hasn't.

You clearly are afraid- I'm quite annoyed when people subliminally act like it hasn't happened with it clearly has.

Oops- my opinion here. Just sayin'- admitting that the i9100 has some features (and it should- it's one year younger!) that outdo Apple isn't going to hurt you.

Try to be a bit open minded, and step out of 1 Infinite Loop for one moment, will you? Bluntly stating that your opinions = facts isn't going to get you any support here, the downranks show that quite well.

There's no need to insult me. Android was adopted for two reasons: 1. They couldn't get iOS, and 2. The proprietary phone OS whatever manufacturer was using was complete crap.

There's two different ways to look at the word "compete." One, as in "Will Android ever be a superior platform to iOS?" The answer is a resounding "Not a chance in hell." The other way is to say "Will there be more copies of Android out there than iOS?" The answer is "Yup!" Why? Because it's getting spammed on dozens and dozens of handsets. The vast majority of which are complete crap.

Just because you spread a turd everywhere doesn't make it a great phone OS. Good luck with your antivirus software.

Oh look, it's another 'my opinion = facts' poster. Are all Apple fanboys like this?

Looking at your post history, I see how you commented on the 'iOS has no security flaws and Androidhas more holes than Mars' post and blindly posted 'Android is a POS' having only read that article from an known Apple biased blog (without actually reading the original Symantec article).

Why don't you go back to that thread and read up on what the original article (not some insanely biased article from that apple blog) says? It states that both iOS and Android have security flaws :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Why not? Why defend the Nissan Altima or Malmar Qadaffi?

People have different opinions on different topics, which is acceptable.

The problem is those people who define their identities by what they consume commercially. They do this, and so when someone criticizes an iPhone or Apple, they perceive it as a slight upon their person.

Its a little ridiculous, but pretty common in this country.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Oh look, it's another 'my opinion = facts' poster. Are all Apple fanboys like this?

Looking at your post history, I see how you commented on the 'iOS has no security flaws and Androidhas more holes than Mars' post and blindly posted 'Android is a POS' having only read that article from an known Apple biased blog (without actually reading the original Symantec article).

Why don't you go back to that thread and read up on what the original article (not some insanely biased article from that apple blog) says? It states that both iOS and Android have security flaws :rolleyes:

So which antivirus software do you use on your Android device? How much malware have you downloaded from the "app store" (I put it in quotes, because it can hardly be considered an app store. More like a crap store.)

pattigranda

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
I wouldn't say android is rubbish, but it is "all over the place". You never know if something is going to work. with my iphone it "just works"

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
And its not just limited to this forum. It happens in social environments. Almost every time I am at any social gathering and the discussion of Android vs iPhone comes up, I notice the Android fans will immediately unite and argue for the Android. While iPhone fans are timid and will sometimes "agree" with the Android fans or won't say anything in defense for the iPhone.

OP may need some new friends.

I've never been to a social gathering where people argued Android vs. iPhone. I would guess that most people don't seriously argue with friends/acquaintances about their technological preferences in a public setting. The only occasions where this happens that I've been to are webdev meetups where we talk xcode vs java.

As per why people here defend Android. Its because Apple users are a huge diverse group. iPod users, Mac, iPhone, iPad. Not everyone on MacRumors owns an iPhone, just like not everyone owns an iPad or Mac. The majority here don't own ONLY Apple products but we love the ones we do nonetheless.

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
To me, it is quite simple. Why should an android user post on an iPhone forum, particulalry if it's merely to trash iPhone. I get that android has some neat features, etc. And, if you have other Apple products but an an android phone, you still shouldn't be an iphone forum just to bash the device.
It's two different models. You have a choice. If you chose android, don't come here to play this silly nanny nanny boo boo game. You made your choice, go play with the android folks.
Most of this crap is trivial.

100% This^

What he described is the crux of the problem with this board.

1. Android user come in the iPhone board and talk about they're phone and how much better it is than the iPhone.
2. Because the majority of the people in the iPhone forum have a passion for iPhone (I know it's shocking, but stay with me) they defend the iPhone.
3. An argument begins.
4. Flames ensue, trolls get fat.

That exact thing happen on a daily bases here. Nothing happens like that in the Mac portion of this site; or any part of it (except the iPad)

Now my friends, let me ask this question:

Where did the problem start? (It's ok to reread the list if you still don't understand);)

Pmoser

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
100% This^

What he described is the crux of the problem with this board.

1. Android user come in the iPhone board and talk about they're phone and how much better it is than the iPhone.
2. Because the majority of the people in the iPhone forum have a passion for iPhone (I know it's shocking, but stay with me) they defend the iPhone.
3. An argument begins.
4. Flames ensue, trolls get fat.

That exact thing happen on a daily bases here. Nothing happens like that in the Mac portion of this site; or any part of it (except the iPad)

Now my friends, let me ask this question:

Where did the problem start? (It's ok to reread the list if you still don't understand);)

Ill give it to you. You have some great points. My opinion on why it dosen't happen in the mac or other areas is because everyone agrees that PC does some good things and Mac does some good things. It all depends what your looking for an a computer. I prefer mac its just an all around good computer and does what i like web browsing, music, videos, light games it does these all perfect. Of course if you were a gamer i would go with PC. so it all just depends what you need can't we respect others opinion and agree to disagree

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
So which antivirus software do you use on your Android device? How much malware have you downloaded from the "app store" (I put it in quotes, because it can hardly be considered an app store. More like a crap store.)

You can tell a person doesn't have an intelligent reply to an argument or point when they: A) go back and repeat untrue generalizations of the platform they are attacking. B) State lame pun. C) Attack the person's grammar.

Besides, if you use the same amount of intelligence required to put on pants for the internet, you don't need antivirus software. Its a pretty easy template, look at app, read reviews, read some more reviews, download app. How hard can it be?

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Because then it would be boring coming to a forum in which everybody praises the iPhone, reading the same thing everyday...

It would be pretty boring if you think about it, so I'm cool with the Android talk, it starts epic conversations

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
I dunno, the way I see it is that yes, glass is more likely to break if you drop it (without a case, I've dropped my 4 several times with a cheap silicone case and it's fine). But... in general, at least the plastic Apple uses, seems to crack even if you take care of it. At least I have a chance with the glass phone of it not cracking (Seriously, I've found lately that plastic Apple products are very prone to cracking just from use. My 3G got the crack a lot of people complained about coming from the dock connector area. My Macbook got cracks right on the "palmrest" areas of the keyboard, not to mention every single person I knew with a plastic Macbook had the same exact issues, even to the point one person had his keyboard and therefore the palmrest replaced and the new one cracked too! It's so bad apple will replace that part up to 3x according to one genius I talked to. Shoot, even the back of my macbook has a small crack coming from the airvent).

So yeah, I don't have any faith in Apple + plastic (I don't seem to have this issue with other manufacturers, just Apple). So I'd rather they not use plastic as either they use crappy plastic or they make forms that tend to stress the plastic out (not sure which).

And I agree with you that phones get dropped. But at this point, I'd rather deal with a case and have a glass phone that I have a chance of it not cracking.

You know, before I got the 4 I thought this would be an issue. But honestly, I barely notice the difference holding it between it and my old 3G. I have to hold the 3G before I hold the 4 before I even notice it. It's not bad at all. And I *love* the fact it sits flat on a table. It's so much nicer.

Yeah if you're having or had cracking problems with your plastic then I don't blame you for not wanting their plastic lol. As for holding the iPhone 4, yeah you will get used to it after a while, but the thing is, it still really isn't comfortable and you notice it whenever you pick up a phone that's ergonomically designed. I know Apple wanted a pretty device, but I don't know why they couldn't make it attractive and comfortable.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
You can tell a person doesn't have an intelligent reply to an argument or point when they: A) go back and repeat untrue generalizations of the platform they are attacking. B) State lame pun. C) Attack the person's grammar.

Besides, if you use the same amount of intelligence required to put on pants for the internet, you don't need antivirus software. Its a pretty easy template, look at app, read reviews, read some more reviews, download app. How hard can it be?

Your entire post attacked me and you contributed nothing to the thread.

I personally believe that Android is a completely inferior platform. It has no polish, no aesthetics, it's insecure, has tons of crapware and malware and viruses, and it's just plain ugly and unusable. I truly believe the only people who actually "like" it are wannabe techies who have a weird Apple hate.

TJi®

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Android

Ok. I bought the iPhone 4 in July 2010. At the time I had the Nexus One. Back then I must admit that the iPhone 4 was superior. Nexus One was not even close to the i4. I sold the Nexus One. New Android phones are coming out so fast and Apple is taking too long to launch new phones. I recently sold my iPhone 4 and bought a Galaxy S II. I could not be happier. What an improvement! Absolutely amazing. I don't miss my iPhone 4 at all. :cool:

Let's see what the new iPhone will have... :apple:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's just perception.

The truth is that nobody even joins those threads to defend iPhone because the would be stooping to their level.

No relevant conversation can be had at this time because iPhone is so far ahead on so many fundamental levels, the choice is not even in question so the majority don't bother. Everything has already been said awhile ago in threads from back in the day.

But then EVERY SINGLE android fan will chip in because it's the chip on their shoulder and they always participate, propagating the notion that you feel people don't defend it.

It's that insecurity that makes them come here when we don't go there. Obviously the iPhone is the barometer that everything is up against so they are jealous of that and our response is just to ignore it.

So therefore all the conversations of late seem one sided. I was in there defending for awhile (in the trenches) but then I got in trouble for breaking conversation rules reall fast so I'm like forget it. I'm not gonna get into it with those people because it's pointless really and we are not really allowed to put down their opinions and make them feel silly.

Exactly. Perhaps they are waiting for their laggy Android phone to reboot. Or perhaps the Android keyboard typed in the wrong URL so they ended up here.

Or perhaps shills, similar to those who promoted Palm as iPhone killer.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Your entire post attacked me and you contributed nothing to the thread.

I personally believe that Android is a completely inferior platform. It has no polish, no aesthetics, it's insecure, has tons of crapware and malware and viruses, and it's just plain ugly and unusable. I truly believe the only people who actually "like" it are wannabe techies who have a weird Apple hate.

I like Android and I'm not a techie. As for the Apple hate I have a MacBook Pro, 2 iPods, and an iPad so if that means I hate Apple then I have a weird way of showing it considering how much money I've paid to Apple for their products over the years. People can like Android and have no feelings whatsoever towards Apple. What if they have T-Mobile or Sprint? Android phones are the best phones on those networks so of course having one and liking it means they hate Apple. It's mind boggling how Apple fanboys think that someone liking a competitor of Apple means they hate Apple.

Last edited:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
It's pretty obvious that Android owners who troll around about the iPhone are very intimidated by the iPhone, and want to prove in any way possible, that Android is superior. This is due to their insecurity, because they don't like how popular and powerful Apple is.

I just watch and lol.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Ok. I bought the iPhone 4 in July 2010. At the time I had the Nexus One. Back then I must admit that the iPhone 4 was superior. Nexus One was not even close to the i4. I sold the Nexus One. New Android phones are coming out so fast and Apple is taking too long to launch new phones. I recently sold my iPhone 4 and bought a Galaxy S II. I could not be happier. What an improvement! Absolutely amazing. I don't miss my iPhone 4 at all. :cool:

Let's see what the new iPhone will have... :apple:

You're nothing more than an Apple hater.

/sarcasm

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Consultant said:
It's just perception.

Exactly. Perhaps they are waiting for their laggy Android phone to reboot. Or perhaps the Android keyboard typed in the wrong URL so they ended up here.

Or perhaps shills, similar to those who promoted Palm as iPhone killer.

I would hope it's got less to do with shills and more to do with tech enthusiasts who use multiple platforms and enjoy intelligent discussion.

If someone who is experienced in both platforms sees someone spouting unfounded inaccuracies, are they unwelcome to correct the poster or should they leave it in fear of upsetting those that are unwilling to listen or insecure about truths/others opinions?

Of course there are trolls (on both side of the spectrum) but I've had plenty of intelligent and enjoyable discussions on this forum to prevent me from participating.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
I like Android and I'm not a techie. As for the Apple hate I have a MacBook Pro, 2 iPods, and an iPad so if that means I hate Apple then I have a weird way of showing it considering how much money I've paid to Apple for their products over the years. People can like Android and have no feelings whatsoever towards Apple. What if they have T-Mobile or Sprint? Android makes the best phones on those networks so of course having one and liking it means they hate Apple. It's mind boggling how Apple fanboys think that someone liking a competitor of Apple means they hate Apple.

Android does not make phones. Android is an OS. Too often people use the term Android as if it is a phone. The experience on Android phones differ because of the manufacturers that made them. I get what you are trying to say, but just differentiate between the OS and the manufacturer of a phone. Besides that I agree with you.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Android does not make phones. Android is an OS. Too often people use the term Android as if it is a phone. The experience on Android phones differ because of the manufacturers that made them. I get what you are trying to say, but just differentiate between the OS and the manufacturer of a phone. Besides that I agree with you.

Yes I knew that. What I meant was Android based phones are the best on those networks. I'm aware that they are made by HTC, Moto, Samsung, etc. I simply misspoke but thanks for the correction I corrected the post.

Last edited:

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
For android, i <3 the bigger screen, the pull-down notifications, widgets, scrollable docks (launcher pro) different launchers, live wallpapers, and the fact that i can download apps off the internet and install them, even if they arent on the market.

for me, the iPhone has become too mainstream for no good reason, since i think the form factor of iphone sucks, and honestly, some android phones are hell of a lot better.

I personally see being able to download apps off the web as a negative, malware will become a big problem just as it has under Windows PC's.

Actually Android is more Mainstream than the iPhone, and there is a reason for it being popular. It's stable and easy to use, not everyone wants 100 pages of settings on their phone, I know I don't.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
here is the real reason.

There is a difference between fanboys of the iphone and fanboys of android.

the iphone fanboy: he (she) knows that iphone is better then most, if not all, android phones currently on the market. sure some have better features, 4G, bigger screen, etc, but as an overall phone, brower, media player, entertainment, the iphone is the number #1 best package. If it wasn't it wouldn't be as popular as it is. In conjunction with it working seamlessly with the number 1 music software, it will always be the number 1 individual phone.

the android fanboy: he knows that android has more options available, with our jailbreaking or rooting. these options and such work very well on some phones. He knows there is more then 1 phone available, so choice. the android user know that the only reason android exists is because iphone existed first. He can't stand this. So he rages and uses the 1 or 2 features that anyone phone might have to attempt to destroy the iphone. Common features not common to all phone that used like this, screen size, 4G, wireless tethering, AMOLED. He says haha, Evo is 4G, eat it iphone and your 3G. But what the he doesn't realize is that no 1 android equipped phone is better then iphone and no 1 android equipped phone will beat the current gen iphone as a better overall phone/OS.

Now the differance. android fanbois hate the fact that no 1 android based phone is outselling the iphone and no 1 phone is actually better the iphone when it comes to user experience and use. He can't deal, so he attacks.

The iphone fanboy on the other hand realizes that yes, the iphone does get best by certain features of other phones but understands that the iphone is a better phone. The apple fanboy does long for some of those features but no enough to switch to a substandard phone. So rather then attempt to attack, they praise the features that they wish they had or they think would be nice to have.

I am that way. I am an iphone fanboy and would love a bigger screen but only within the size of the current phone factor), I would love 4G speeds (but not at the loss of my unlimited plan), I would like the 3D pics (but not at loss of batt life), I would like an AMOLED screen (but not at the loss of the retina display), etc.

Individual android phones have good features, but no phone puts all the good features into 1 package. And that is why android phones will ultimently never be as good as the iphone.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
It's pretty obvious that Android owners who troll around about the iPhone are very intimidated by the iPhone, and want to prove in any way possible, that Android is superior. This is due to their insecurity, because they don't like how popular and powerful Apple is.

I just watch and lol.

It really is strange. I would never even look up an Android forum and go troll them. I can't imagine being *that* bored and having that *little* to do in life. Really bizarre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.