Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsetsam

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
My 85w T style charger frayed - again. Not knowing about the quality control replacement offer, I went to the apple store and bought a new L style charger. When I found out that they replace frayed chargers, even out of warranty, I returned to the apple store in aspirations of getting a brand new charger.

I showed one of the helpers at the Genius bar my charger, and he told me, it was TOO frayed, too many wires were coming out, and that this will not be covered. At first, I thought he was joking, but he was serious. He told me that he would have replaced it if only small amount of it was frayed, but since many wires are coming out, it's out of quality.

I asked him, "what would you have done with the frayed charger If I gave it to you immediately after it frayed?"

He said: "nothing".

I responded: "Then what is the difference If I give it you NOW vs 1 week ago, if you are just going to throw it away? I did not do this intentionally, I even went and bought a new charger because I didn't even know about the replacements that apple does with frayed chargers"

By then, my tone had raised, and his patience had decreased. He was so flustered that he just gave me some L-style charger out of the cabinet under the genius bar, not even new. It was used, the wire wasn't as taught, no packaging, no extension cord. Nor did he give me paper work.

I took the charger he gave me because I too was just as flustered and wanted to just get out because I was too annoyed to deal with anyone else about the issue.

What should I do? I have one more day until I can return the charger I bought. I am not sure if I should keep both chargers or not.

Last edited:

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
My 85w T style charger frayed - again. Not knowing about the quality control replacement offer, I went to the apple store and bought a new L style charger. When I found out that they replace frayed chargers, even out of warranty, I returned to the apple store in aspirations of getting a brand new charger.

I showed one of the helpers at the Genius bar my charger, and he told me, it was TOO frayed, too many wires were coming out, and that this will not be covered. At first, I thought he was joking, but he was serious. He told me that he would have replaced it if only small amount of it was frayed, but since many wires are coming out, its too out of quality.

I asked him, "what would he have done with the frayed charger If I gave it to you immediately after it frayed?"

He said: "nothing".

I responded: "Then what is the difference If I give it you NOW vs 1 week ago, if you are just going to throw it away? I did not do this intentionally, I even went and bought a new charger because I didn't even know about the replacements that apple does with frayed chargers"

By then, my tone has raised, and his patience had decreased. He was so flustered that he just gave me some L-style charger out of the cabinet under the genius bar, not even new. It was used, the wire wasn't as taught, no packaging, no extension cord. Nor did he give me paper work.

I took the charger he gave me because I too was just as flustered and wanted to just get out because I was too annoyed to deal with anyone else about the issue.

What should I do? I have one more day until I can return the charger I bought. I am not sure if I should keep both chargers or not.

Should've handled it better. Go back, speak to a genius, take both chargers, and get it done right. The guy that helped you obviously shouldn't be in a blue shirt. "its too frayed." ****. Regards and luck. kg

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
i too think you probably shouldn't have been so demanding. perhaps you should go to a different apple store and see what they say?

i mean, what's the problem anyway? you already bought a new charger, why do you need to get the other one replaced?

sunsetsam

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
:(. He took my charger that was frayed. This happened 2 days ago, on friday. I can still return and talk to the manager? I was just worried at that moment if I asked to talk to the manager the manager would have agreed with the man in the genius bar.

sunsetsam

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
i too think you probably shouldn't have been so demanding. perhaps you should go to a different apple store and see what they say?

i mean, what's the problem anyway? you already bought a new charger, why do you need to get the other one replaced?

Thats 80 dollars. Why spend 80 dollars when I could get one absolutely for free.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
:(. He took my charger that was frayed. This happened 2 days ago, on friday. I can still return and talk to the manager? I was just worried at that moment if I asked to talk to the manager the manager would have agreed.

why did he take it? lol

if he claimed that it was "too frayed," it doesn't make much sense to take it. you should have just kept it, and gone to another store.

sunsetsam

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
why did he take it? lol

if he claimed that it was "too frayed," it doesn't make much sense to take it. you should have just kept it, and gone to another store.

Trust me, driving around from apple store to apple store can be a daunting task at times, where I live at least.

He took it and gave me a replacement. but the replacement wasn't new. What bothers me is the logic of him not allowing a replacement in the first place, but then at the end, replacing it but not at an assured quality.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Trust me, driving around from apple store to apple store can be a daunting task at times, where I live at least.

He took it and gave me a replacement. but the replacement wasn't new. What bothers me is the logic of him not allowing a replacement in the first place, but then at the end, replacing it but not at an assured quality.

that's understandable, but in the end you have two chargers. there's nothing to fret over. just avoid business there in the future if you weren't satisfied with the service.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
I'd return the one you bought, no reason to have 2 chargers really.

If the replacement one he gave you works, then you might as well use it. I agree that it's weird that he just pulled it out of nowhere after saying he wouldn't replace it, if it works, I'd just keep it.

If it starts fraying again, go back and ask for another, simple as that.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I have 2 and it's pretty handy. One is always plugged in at my desk at home, and the other is wrapped up in my bag. That said, I got the second one from Amazon for $31. It was marked as used in "very good" condition, but I received a brand new one, still in the Apple shrink wrapped box (although with a small dent in the corner - I imagine it was "distressed packaging"). It was the newest MC556LL/B model too. If you don't get what you want from the Genius bar, just order a cheap one from Amazon.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Unfortunately, these sorts of things happen all the time. Apple stores are really no different from any other retail store. Sometimes your experience will be pleasant and other times things don't go so well. In your position, I would return the new charger you bought, assuming there isn't anything wrong with the used one you received. While it may be frustrating, it's probably best to let this whole thing role over and come out of it in the best way you can. If you really feel strongly about the issue, go back to the store and speak to the manager.

Pro tip: Geniuses aren't actually geniuses. They're just regular Joes with a fancy title.

ocgirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
France
I too had a problem with my charger, which was frayed (and you could see wires coming out and spreading apart). I went to the apple store (Montreal, Canada), saying that it had only been a month since I bought the laptop and that I did not understand, it never happened with my other laptops before. He was very helpful and told me he would change it right away (the 1 month didn't seem to matter, I think the whole 1st year is covered), so it is weird that they told you such a thing about it being too frayed ?

If I read correctly, you spoke with a blue shirt but he wasn't an actual Genius? Maybe this is why he couldn't help you properly? Also, when you get your new charger, you don't get the ''new ones'', there's no box, and it's only the damaged part that is replaced so here, your wire being connected to the main block, you wouldn't get an extension cord, or the little accessory too.
It also comes wrapped in a transparent plastic paper (just like when you get it in the MBP box at first).
Oh and it's normal that they took it (well i think it is), because they took mine too and gave me some kind of receipt/proof to show the details of the appointment and outcome.

I would just go back to the same Apple store, and keep my cool and explain all the events that went on. Good luck!!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My 85w T style charger frayed - again. Not knowing about the quality control replacement offer, I went to the apple store and bought a new L style charger. When I found out that they replace frayed chargers, even out of warranty ...
WHAT!? Ugh. I just bought an L style (which I like a lot better) off eBay because my T style frayed. The Apple Store is only 20min from my house too. Suck.

josheeee

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
apple stores are stupid. My MBP 2007 graphics card went and it was under the extension warranty to repair. Only thing is it also knocked out the motherboard in the process and apple said because it knocked out the mobo at the same time it is not covered. I like my mac but I hate apple. Does that make sense? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.