Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week we reported that there was no Welcome video that had become custom on new installations of Mac OS X. While that is technically true, it seems Apple has replaced it with a similar "Welcome" animation for some installations (presumably clean):

The intro animation similarly displays the word "Welcome" in a variety of languages, but no accompanying soundtrack. Beta testers of iOS 5 might find the animation familiar, as it is also the setup animation for iOS 5 on the iPad:

ipad5.jpg

The animation on the iPad can be seen 13 seconds into this YouTube Video of iOS 5.

Article Link: So, There is an OS X Lion "Welcome" Animation

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
Looks way too plain/simple to be from Apple.

I think "sleek" should be your wording, but it's very Apple. Wasting time to do a video, when you could be using the product you just bought, planning your next Apple related purchase.

Honestly though it looks nice, and simple. It is Apple Chic.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I think "sleek" should be your wording, but it's very Apple. Wasting time to do a video, when you could be using the product you just bought, planning your next Apple related purchase.

Honestly though it looks nice, and simple. It is Apple Chic.

I guess I'll have to wait for a higher quality video.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
This is exactly what I said :p, but no one listened, there is a Welcome animation just before you start a Clean Lion Installation..

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I did a totally clean install and there definitely wasn't any kind of welcome video anywhere.
This was with the GM on a MacBook pro

YourHerojb

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
I'm not so sure I like it, but it's less in your face than the last one at least.

That arrow button looks like the new microsoft style buttons, on another note.

FvL

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
It totally makes sense that they left out the hundreds of megabytes (I presume) for the introduction video as they'd like to keep the download size as small as possible.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
This one looks tacky. Perhaps they'll unveil a new welcome screen on release day (something to do with the sky, relating to the cloud, perhaps).

complexcommunic

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
Don't you see? They are just holding back the real welcome video until the public release. This is just a placeholder. It's like a controlled release of a viral video to promote OS X. Because you know a new cool welcome video would make its way around Youtube and Apple blogs in a flash.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I prefer the old video. Oh well, I guess it had to go in the end. They could have come up with a new and better replacement instead of just that though.

I'm gonna miss that music. Do, do, doo, do! Do, do, doo, do! Do, do, doo, do, dododo!

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
This one looks tacky. Perhaps they'll unveil a new welcome screen on release day (something to do with the sky, relating to the cloud, perhaps).

That WOULD be tacky.... I think it currently looks great and matches the iOS devices..

fmaxwell

Nov 27, 2008
While that is technically true, it seems Apple has replaced it with a similar "Welcome" animation for some installations (presumably clean)

Oh, thank God! I was starting to panic, thinking that this it a sign of the End Times, that God was smiting us by giving us a OS X bereft of a Welcome animation. I hope there is time to cancel my online order for 1,000 shotgun shells, a three year supply of canned goods, and sixteen cases of freeze dried food for the shelter.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
this had better be good

i have staked my whole existence on Apple having an into video to Lion. I can't think of anything more important. Nothing.

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2007
If you did/did not see the video on a clean install, how did you make it a clean install? Did you put the DMG onto a USB stick and boot from that?

I want a clean install to mean everything on the hard drive wiped and then the OS on the empty hard drive

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
No starscape welcome video = deal-breaker.

It means Apple doesn't care enough about users to make them feel welcome. And they should focus on helping people instead of hoarding money. Ever since Steve took over they lost all goodwill.

Lmao

Last edited:

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Once they get the hang of FCP X , they will get around in creating an iphone-studded welcome video for Ios Lion...
A must have item by all accounts :D

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Seriously folks, why are we giving this welcome video so much attention?

It isn't a key feature. Let's get real here.

Scubanumpty

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
I saw the rumor that they were going to use this as their new default desktop background! ;o)

Attachments

• img24.jpg
    img24.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 297
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.