Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
No starscape welcome video = deal-breaker.

I don't think anyone here has implied that yet. Just speculation on how it looks iOSsey and how the old video will be missed. You're taking the mick out of something no-one has said.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Also we need to install SL first, so the Welcome is there

Don't need it again on Lion since it's just an upgrade

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
What hath Jobs wrought?

Apple's new minimalist welcome video will usher in an exciting new paradigm and undoubtedly change the way we design and build welcome videos in the forthcoming post welcome video era!

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Seriously folks, why are we giving this welcome video so much attention?

Exactly. Who ******* cares about some hokey piece of drivel that only took time away from setting up a machine?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Exactly. Who ******* cares about some hokey piece of drivel that only took time away from setting up a machine?

What you have to "set up" a Mac? Geee everything I bought one I just turned it on got the welcome video and that's it, it worked. No need to fiddle with anything.

Setting up Window's boxes on the other hand . . . .

nrodriguez55

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2010
Amen, brother..Amen..

I think it's a pretty slow news day when the masses begin to worry that there is no Welcome animation video in the new version of OSX.

Find something spectacular to write about, MacRumors, and we will read it..
In the meantime, don't flood our pages with this kind of crap.

Oh, thank God! I was starting to panic, thinking that this it a sign of the End Times, that God was smiting us by giving us a OS X bereft of a Welcome animation. I hope there is time to cancel my online order for 1,000 shotgun shells, a three year supply of canned goods, and sixteen cases of freeze dried food for the shelter.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Oh, thank God! I was starting to panic, thinking that this it a sign of the End Times, that God was smiting us by giving us a OS X bereft of a Welcome animation. I hope there is time to cancel my online order for 1,000 shotgun shells, a three year supply of canned goods, and sixteen cases of freeze dried food for the shelter.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!" ;)

abaxworld

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
No Animation with clean installation

Hi.
I did a clean installation with a DVD burned with the inner dmg of Lion GM and didn't have this animation, so don't know where it comes from, but I can assure you that it doesn't appear on a clean installation.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I got on it only on one system. The system I have server installed on and it wasn't a clean install...

Izlib

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
I welcome the minimized welcome video. Anyone who has done any sort of mac repair service I'm sure agrees. Every hard drive replacement (a dozen or more a day typically) has been accompanied by a disk re-image and a replay of this song for the last 4 years.

I hear that song in my sleep.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
What you have to "set up" a Mac? Geee everything I bought one I just turned it on got the welcome video and that's it, it worked. No need to fiddle with anything.

Setting up Window's boxes on the other hand . . . .

Both take time to "set up" in the sense that no operating system could be configured perfectly and have the right programs included to meet a user's needs - it's simply not possible.

The video was one of those touches that showed Apple cared about its user experience, although I do think it should have been skippable.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
You see that welcome "video" if you were to burn the Mac OS X Lion image onto a DVD and boot from the DVD (which takes forever to boot from the DVD)

It seems like from booting from the DVD image you are in some recovery mode utility which you can reinstall Lion, Restore from Time Machine, and run some utilities.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I welcome the minimized welcome video. Anyone who has done any sort of mac repair service I'm sure agrees. Every hard drive replacement (a dozen or more a day typically) has been accompanied by a disk re-image and a replay of this song for the last 4 years.

Because Apple caters to IT guys. Right. I think the average consumer appreciated the video, I know I did. I really liked the video in fact, even though I've had to reinstall Mac OS multiple times in the past. It gave me such a thrill when I started up my first Mac. Might sound a bit strange, but hey... What can I say. :)

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Because Apple caters to IT guys. Right. I think the average consumer appreciated the video, I know I did. I really liked the video in fact, even though I've had to reinstall Mac OS multiple times in the past. It gave me such a thrill when I started up my first Mac. Might sound a bit strange, but hey... What can I say. :)

I hear that.

Whe installing Leopard on my hackintosh, it started to play the music but became responsive after that. Had to reboot as single user and install graphics drivers, never saw the video.

When installing Snow Leopard on my hackintosh, it played the video without audio (no intelHDA). Never got to see the video with audio.

So getting to install Snow Leopard when I got my macbook was pretty special :D

xappeal

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
Brisbane - Australia
You may or may not see this depending on the computer you're installing Lion on.

I did a couple of clean installs, the video did not appear on my MacBook Pro, but was there on my iMac.

I'm guessing it may be graphics card/CPU dependant.

danand725

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Sawbridgeworth, UK

Yeh, I used to build Windows XP machines that would update and reboot at least 10 times. Multiply that by a lab of 16 machines building at any one time. i hear the Windows XP logon sound in my sleep - way more annoying.

At least the old video was catchy and upbeat.

And since we're all doing sarcasm and this is a forum - can I add that Hitler would have made a welcome video. Job done.

Last edited:

danand725

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Sawbridgeworth, UK
I'm guessing it may be graphics card/CPU dependant.

I'm sorry if this sounds fatuous, but are you suggesting Apple reduced the entire Lion OS to a infinitesimally small size and then created a 3.9 gigabyte animated Welcome on a grey background in full cinema quality HD?

Sounds like an Apple thing to do. Fair enough. :eek:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
IF that is indeed a Lion welcome video, I wouldn't bother to dance when it comes.

In fact, I'd mute my speaker and cover my eyes until it's done. What a crappy welcome video .. especially when it comes from Apple

Last edited:

YourHerojb

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
I like the title of this post. Macrumors saw the video so theyre just like "well this is awkward..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.