Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redaddiction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I am having an issue with my Macbook Pro 5,5, I have two hard drives, an SSD in place of the disk drive, and 1 tb in the hd bay. While working the 1tb which holds all of my media stopped showing up in Finder and disk utility. I attempted to reboot, but to no prevail. I have searched but was unable to find any answers to why this may happen other than, a bad sata cable, bad hard drive, or logic board. The last which I don't believe is an issue because I'm still using the computer. I'm in Afghanistan with limited resources and want to know what actions I could take to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Sounds like a bad cable to me. Pretty cheap and simple fix. I think there would have been a lot more issues if the HD had actually died. Definitely not logic board though, it would probably be unusable.

Redaddiction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Sounds like a bad cable to me. Pretty cheap and simple fix. I think there would have been a lot more issues if the HD had actually died. Definitely not logic board though, it would probably be unusable.

That's good new, any idea on where I can purchase a replacement? Don't necessarily need a great price just somewhere that will ship APO.

Redaddiction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
That's good new, any idea on where I can purchase a replacement? Don't necessarily need a great price just somewhere that will ship APO.

After some research the cable is part number 922-7579, prices range from 4.00 on ebay to 30.00. Amazon had a vendor who had the cable so I was able to order one from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.