Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Finding it impossible to delete history in 5.2.

Have tried through preferences and recent conversations, but nothing works ;-(

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
I can't even enable the control bar... my chat video window is hidden when I'm in a video call and it's strange. Works for my friend but he said you didn't have to do anything to get it working. Something I'm doing wrong?

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Can someone help with the best way to set up a DSLR to use as a webcam for videochat, as per the screenshots?

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Just upgraded to 5.2 on my old macbook that i use to test code on. and still skype 5 is horrible. Will keep 2.8 on my main computer yet again.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Still have to pay for video conferencing, what is this 2002? I'll stick with iChat thank you very much, free sounds a lot better to me.

That's right!

Now if only I can get ALL of the people I communicate with to dump their Windows machines and buy Macs so they'll have iChat (too), AND then email me their iChat IDs so I'll be able to find them on AIM, AND... :rolleyes:

Right now on Skype: 26.7M people online, including many people I work with and know
Right now on iChat: don't know. Anyone online right now??? Any people I work with and know???

Last edited:

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
How do you make the floating window appear so you can always see the person you're talking to on the other end? I updated earlier to 5.2 but it's just not happening...

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Neat update for people who use conference calls. No way would I pay for that service, though. Although I used to buy Skype credits for calling phones; that was a good service until I discovered Google Chat offered free calls in North America.

Actually downgraded to the latest 2.x release yesterady. Loving it for it's simplicity. I don't care much for the features in 5.x, especially since a lot are paid. I use FaceTime and Google Chat most of the time.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The UI under 5.2 is a bit smaller but they expect you to make is so damn wide. In 2.8 and in Windows you can have a tall and thin application window without any problems. Why wide all of the sudden for OS X?

allamoureux07

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
History issues

Anyone try deleting contact history? Regardless of what you try, it still shows the contacts name and contact date in the "new contact sidebar." Stupid, and has since caused me to downgrade.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Ive just kept 2.8 and installed 5.2 but I'm liking the floating window telling you about the call and letting you mute it without switching to skype.

Group screen sharing has got to be the best feature though, microsoft are geniuses by charging for it, they're gonna make sure that they get loads of people using it and get mad bank simultaneously.:confused:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Screen shot 2011-07-05 at 9.29 PM.png

Haha, let me download this update and have a nice good laugh at how bad it is. Then let me cry over the fact that I have no other option in the 21st century to make video calls.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Anyone try deleting contact history? Regardless of what you try, it still shows the contacts name and contact date in the "new contact sidebar." Stupid, and has since caused me to downgrade.

I tried and failed to get the history to delete. Poor.

Where can v2.8 be downloaded from?

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Still no minimal sidebar thing like the Windows version then?
Means I will stick to 2.8 again.

Some portions of this version look alright, like:
That actually looks slick to me. Just to bad the whole sidebar itself sucks.

I've made a few video calls to check out the Call Control Bar feature. But it's not happening automatically, and I don't see a button or preference setting to enable this feature.

If anyone sees how to use this feature, please let me know. Thanks.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Have never had a problem with the programme, just the bloody connection when trying overseas. We have it on the wife's MacBookPro to talk to her brother and my mother who live in various parts of the world. The connection has become terrible from the UK.

Sadly as iChat is still a castrated application we have no choice.

toolate

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
There are uncountable number of "Skype 5 UI for Mac is horrible" topics at their official forum: users are totally unite in their opinions in that case. I'm incredibly surprised, there is still no any positive change in UI for Mac so far: in Skype 5.3 for Windows, for instance, we can choose compact (2.8-like mode) easily!
For now, Skype is a part of Microsoft's property and they promised to maintain it for alternative (non-MS) platforms, so there will be changes anyway. Positive changes, I hope.

Last edited:

Renverse

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
There are uncountable number of "Skype 5 UI for Mac is horrible" topics at their official forum: users are totally unite in their opinions in that case. I'm incredibly surprised, there is still no any positive change in UI for Mac so far: in Skype 5.3 Windows, for instance, we can chose compact (2.8-like mode) easily!
For now, Skype is a part of Microsoft's property and they promised to maintain it for alternative (non-MS platforms), so there will be changes anyway. Positive changes, I hope.

Microsoft has talented UI designers (WP7, Bing for iPad, OneNote for iPhone) so I'm hoping that someone there slaps the Skype division, and teaches them a thing or 2 about usability.

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
While I find Skype for Windows "compact" user interface very convenient, I, as many others HATE 5.x for Mac UI...

I really really hope Microsoft realizes Skype screwed up with the UI...just make it the same as Windows version but let us adjust the size of the chat window to make it as small as we want...

Cheers

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Haha, let me download this update and have a nice good laugh at how bad it is. Then let me cry over the fact that I have no other option in the 21st century to make video calls.

Google chat, if you and your contacts use Gmail/Google+. Facebook chat, if you/your contacts use Facebook (it uses Skype apparently, but it might not look as bad). Other than that, Skype is pretty much your only option. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.