Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
possible stupid question, after going full screen on an app like chrome how do i get back out ? i cant see any other way other than closing the app and reopening : / im sure im missing something obvious but cant work it out

Thanks !

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Chrome is a bit odd in that it both does and does not support Lion's full-screen at the same time. I think it's just a coincidence in how it was implemented.

Either way: the menu items are still functional as is the key combo: View -> Exit Full Screen and cmd-shift-F.

Normally when an app supports Lion's full screen, there'd be a button for it on the right side of the menu bar. (Plus the aforementioned menu items.)

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Why is the Chrome implementation such a hack? Could they not do it properly for some reason?

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Chrome should fix this in their next update.

Those using the beta or dev versions of Chrome, is the problem still existant in those builds?

hyperpiper45

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Canada
MacBookPro13";12876988 said:
Chrome should fix this in their next update.

Those using the beta or dev versions of Chrome, is the problem still existant in those builds?

It's still broken in the 13.0.782.41 beta.

My problem with the fullscreen chrome is that you lose the address bar and tabs which i struggle to live without.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Safari is the most compatible browser with Lion GM at the moment and is actually a very nice improvement over the version on SL.

Maybe you should try it out? I was a major Chrome user on SL but have given Safari the green light in Lion and haven't been let down yet.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
MacBookPro13";12877189 said:
Safari is the most compatible browser with Lion GM at the moment and is actually a very nice improvement over the version on SL.

Maybe you should try it out? I was a major Chrome user on SL but have given Safari the green light in Lion and haven't been let down yet.
Totally agree, but it's a pity there is still no combined search/address bar.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Because it's in the tab bar and you have the tab bar hidden when there's only one tab.
That's true, but it doesn't explain why it's not obvious to the casual user how to get a new tab up. Most users I see, don't even realise that Safari does tabs!

magicandmystery

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
possible stupid question, after going full screen on an app like chrome how do i get back out ? i cant see any other way other than closing the app and reopening : / im sure im missing something obvious but cant work it out

Thanks !

I came here looking for the answer, but then stumbled on the solution by accident.

To get out of full screen mode, hover your cursor at the top of the screen, and the menu bar will appear. To the far right of the menu bar, you will see an icon that will let you get out of the full screen app.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I came here looking for the answer, but then stumbled on the solution by accident.

To get out of full screen mode, hover your cursor at the top of the screen, and the menu bar will appear. To the far right of the menu bar, you will see an icon that will let you get out of the full screen app.

Doesn't work in Chrome, though. But that is how it should work, yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.