Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsrii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
I've searched and searched for the answer to this, but can anyone tell me how I can print a file directory/folder listing?? I do a lot of work that involves handing CDs off and it would be nice if I could print out the files that are on the CD straight from the folder.

I am hoping that there is something native in the OS that does this, beyond making a capture of the screen or using third party software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nick

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
There's a way for you to output the directory listing to a text file via Termainal (unix to the rescue). I actually found the commands off the web. quoted from the link:
ls -RF > ~/Desktop/folder_list.txt

The -R flag drills recursively into sub folders.
The -F flag writes a trailing slash '/' after folders, and a trailing asterisk '*' after executable files.
folder_list.txt is the name of the file you want the output of the recursive ls command to write out to. Feel free to use something more descriptive as you wish.
The link provides more help and can be found here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004020716455773

EDIT: found out that BBEdit also does the same thing, just click and drag

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
This would also be a nice feature for iTunes: printing the contents of a playlist in jewel case size.

nsrii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
angelneo said:
There's a way for you to output the directory listing to a text file via Termainal (unix to the rescue). I actually found the commands off the web. quoted from the link:

The link provides more help and can be found here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004020716455773

EDIT: found out that BBEdit also does the same thing, just click and drag

Thanks for the tip! I saw something similar to this, but I was looking for something more graphical. However, I guess it wouldn't make much difference, since the person(s) using the CD would have access to the contents.

Thanks again,
Nick

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You could always use Command-Shift-4 to take a screen shot and include the .pdf file on the CD.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Why Apple removed this feature from OS X is beyond me, our company still uses OS 9.2.2 for our mainstay production work. I work in Commercial Printing and when we send printing jobs to and from customers and outside vendors, it's a neccessity to print a "contents" list of the documents, fonts, linked graphics, etc. I can't see why a request to Apple couldn't get this feature back (OK a strong loud lobby would do better).

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Veldek said:
This would also be a nice feature for iTunes: printing the contents of a playlist in jewel case size.
Erh... try cmd-P (or File -> Print...) and you'll see a lot of choices, among them jewel case with coverart from your artwork... or a plain list...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.