Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:50 PM   #26
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiggy View Post
Thanks to MR, I now know what hitherto means.

Seriously, wtf lol Why would you use that word how many people know what it means without looking it up?
I knew.
smithrh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:50 PM   #27
dumoon
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Seriously, wtf lol Why would you use that word how many people know what it means without looking it up?

I am familiar with the aforementioned word.
dumoon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:51 PM   #28
Awjvail
macrumors 6502

"Hitherto"?

Awjvail is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:57 PM   #29
nOw2
macrumors regular

More foreigners should be welcomed to Spotify. It completely revolutionised my music listening habits; I even subscribed before the listening hours were cut..

Spotify: Instantaneous access to almost any music, at any time.
nOw2 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:58 PM   #30
kurzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Oh come on, broaden your vocabulary just a little bit. It'll make you look heretofore like an intellectual.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:00 PM   #31
skeleb
macrumors member

The free version of Spotify only allows 5 plays/one song. So if you like that one song a lot, you can only listen it to 5 times before it becomes unavailable. Otherwise it's a great service, I use it mainly to find new bands to listen to.
skeleb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:05 PM   #32
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

I'm a Rdio subscriber and absolutely love the service, but if Spotify has 3 million more songs, I may have to consider switching, if the price isn't much higher.
rwilliams is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:11 PM   #33
Clifto
macrumors newbie

Grooveshark should be in the mix here as well.
Clifto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:13 PM   #34
marksman
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant
Hope it doesn't go the way of the adware pandora.

Radio has fewer ads than Pandora now.
Use jelli jelli > pandora
marksman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:14 PM   #35
musio
macrumors 68000

The app is still stinky. Out of so many updates the app has, it STILL whilst playing music, dims the screen and locks your phone if you have a passcode (which many do as fools don't put passcodes on)

Pisses me off when driving and have spotify on as it's dangerous unlocking your phone on the road. No, i can't be bothered to turn passcode off.

when i mailed spotify about this last year i got 'yeah, thanks for the suggestion...we'll keep it in mind'

My dear American friends, bless you if you subscribe with shuch a shoddy app.
musio is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:16 PM   #36
NebulaClash
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Seriously, who hasn't heard that word before, and in today's world where it is trivially easy to look up an unfamiliar word, why are you complaining about an appropriate use of a word that you happen to not know? The action to be taken here is for you to learn a new word rather than insist MR limit its vocabulary to the subset most familiar to everyone regardless of language exposure.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:17 PM   #37
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
The app is still stinky. Out of so many updates the app has, it STILL whilst playing music, dims the screen and locks your phone if you have a passcode (which many do as fools don't put passcodes on)

Pisses me off when driving and have spotify on as it's dangerous unlocking your phone on the road. No, i can't be bothered to turn passcode off.

when i mailed spotify about this last year i got 'yeah, thanks for the suggestion...we'll keep it in mind'

My dear American friends, bless you if you subscribe with shuch a shoddy app.
I don't see how Spotify can correct that. Apps shouldn't change basic functionality of the device like that.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:22 PM   #38
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I don't see how Spotify can correct that. Apps shouldn't change basic functionality of the device like that.
Rdio does this as well, and it's annoying while driving. The iPod app will dim the screen, but will not lock the phone if it's being charged while music is playing. Is that functionality a result of a private API call that other developers are not allowed to use?
rwilliams is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:27 PM   #39
JTToft
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

- I do. And English is not my first language. It's really not very difficult to figure it out based on the context in which the word was used...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebulaClash View Post
Seriously, who hasn't heard that word before, and in today's world where it is trivially easy to look up an unfamiliar word, why are you complaining about an appropriate use of a word that you happen to not know? The action to be taken here is for you to learn a new word rather than insist MR limit its vocabulary to the subset most familiar to everyone regardless of language exposure.
- Well said. Very well said.
JTToft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:28 PM   #40
writingdevil
macrumors regular

Quote:

well it's not Russian, you know? don't use it myself but pretty obvious, even if you don't know the word, in context, what it means. like my journalism teacher said, when you write for the American public, dumb it down..and most papers do write for a junior high school spelling/vocabulary level. ahhhh..tech sites, the home of tech discussions, now branching into the dissection of language. *sigh* missing the peeps who contribute to tech knowledge....
writingdevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:31 PM   #41
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

Why would you write a post to complain how you're less ignorant than you were 5 minutes ago?
firestarter is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:32 PM   #42
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzz View Post
With this service, you're basically renting songs, just like Netflix, you don't get to keep any songs after unsubscribing.
Just the next step in changing consumers habits as far as music goes.

I used to collect LP albums (Remember LP albums?)
Then converted whatever was available into CD's. (Remember CD's?)
Then bought some songs on itunes (Remember itun.....wait a little early)

By now I don't need to own any songs and depending on what I want to listen to at a given moment I have plenty of services pandora, grooveshark, you tube etc. Some of these give me European or other continents music that can't be bought in the itunes store due to contractual/legal issues.

Only listening to the ipod app on my iphone when I am in a bad reception area (Hello ATT 3G everywhere please and keep it in 3G) or some news and sports on testicular radio:-)

As an old geezer I think owning stuff like movies or music is so yesterday!

Last edited by Thunderhawks; Jul 6, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Thunderhawks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:37 PM   #43
Aidoneus
macrumors 6502

Ok, if you guys are getting Spotify, please can we have Hulu?
Aidoneus is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:41 PM   #44
jabooth
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
Ok, if you guys are getting Spotify, please can we have Hulu?
I second this!
jabooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:42 PM   #45
Nothlit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
Rdio does this as well, and it's annoying while driving. The iPod app will dim the screen, but will not lock the phone if it's being charged while music is playing. Is that functionality a result of a private API call that other developers are not allowed to use?
I'm not 100% certain of the API details, but I know that apps can individually prevent auto-lock (for example, Pandora has an option to do this). However, I don't think there is a public API that allows them to go into that "half-asleep" state where the screen dims but stays unlocked, at least as of iOS 4.3.3. I think iOS 5 adds a public API for manipulating the backlight, so maybe we will see third-party apps duplicating this functionality in the future.
Nothlit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:48 PM   #46
transmaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Now you know what hitherto means like the rest of us

iTune is still going to remain the 80,000 ton Godzilla of digital music delivery. With 3 Terabytes of music in my personal collection thanks to 40 years of collecting I use iTunes because most of the time they have the really obscure artists I am looking for.

Last edited by transmaster; Jul 6, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
transmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:56 PM   #47
d0minick
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to d0minick
TBH this is what i wanted Apple to do. I am on Rdio right now, but the larger database might have me jump ship. I signed up.

I understand a lot of people wonder why people use this service. For me it is perfect. Netflix + RDIO have really simplified the digital content for me. I do not like buying dvd's/blu-rays and I really don't like buying music either, i dont really give things much replay value. The streaming/rental concept really fits for me, at a certain rate a month I am able to listen and watch basically what I want on demand.

For instance, i would never want to buy a comedy album but i wanted to hear Azizs'. he is funny as hell and I listened to his album this week, but i would not give it much replay value.

Also, wifey and I are watching weeds on netflix (amazing show) but I would never want to buy the box set, no replay value for me.

Streaming really works out, for me, not for everyone.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:59 PM   #48
bladerunner88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifto View Post
Grooveshark should be in the mix here as well.
Ya I use Grooveshark and quite like, and was wondering how different Groveshark is from Spotify?
bladerunner88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 02:06 PM   #49
karlwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Quite a bit more expensive than iTunes Match, but don't you get access to the entire catalog rather than just what you already own? Seems to me like the streaming service that everyone had expected to see from Apple.
But 60-100 euro seems a little steep. That's $86-$143/year. Could buy an album a month at that price and own it. I don't think I come across more than an album a month that I would find worthy of buying.
I have an account here in Norway. Yeah, you do get access to their entire catalog. It's pretty huge, though sometimes I miss certain oddities like a Soft Machine album or other little known bands from the 60's. Though I often put the service to such tests, it still feels like the Spotify library contains 90% of all music that's ever made. Hopefully they'll sign up even more, like The Beatles (a rare exception and a huge drawback for me).

The cost for Spotify is much cheaper than a CD per month, in my experience. A CD is usually 100 or 150 kroners here, while unlimited Spotify streaming is 50 kroners (about 6 dollars).

Gonna be interessting to see the final pricing in the US, and how they differensiate the products.

Here in Norway (and Sweden I suppose) there's three offers: the free version, unlimited for about $6/month (no ads, unlimited streaming) and premium (unlimited + smartphone access + offline playlists) for about $12.

In other words, you pay more to get access to the Spotify app that allows you to stream to your smartphone, as well as get offline playlists.

I gotta say, it's a very nice service and I think they have a really good business model. You can't compare it to Pandora, it's more like if iTunes put all the songs available in the iTunes store in your library for you to consume at a montly fee instead of paying for songs. And the UI is much less bloated than iTunes, which IMO has become slow with the newest updates.

I'm excited about whether they can break into the US market.

Last edited by karlwig; Jul 6, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
karlwig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 02:11 PM   #50
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
Cool... Now I get it... the term "stream" made it sound like a live connection was needed all the time.
That's because that is what streaming actually means - you do NOT have a local copy when you listen to or watch a stream. Streaming technologies were not designed to provide offline content - their purpose is to PREVENT offline content.

When these services now also offer downloads that can be used offline, than this is an additional service that has nothing to do with streaming.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion