Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As with the debate over whether the next-generation iPhone should tentatively be referred to as an "iPhone 5" or "iPhone 4S", observers are also differing in their opinions on Apple's next-generation iPad. While Apple has so far used the yearly upgrade cycle that has been relatively among the company's mobile devices for the iPad, there have been rumors that Apple is planning to release an updated iPad later this year. That update would come only about six months or so after the release of the iPad 2.

ipad_2_hand.jpg

And while many reports have taken to calling the rumored device the "iPad 3" as a logical extension of Apple's naming scheme so far, a new note from FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger (via International Business Times) has now coined a new term for the next-generation iPad: the "iPad 2 Plus".

Berger's note echoes a report from last week claiming that Apple is gearing up for a fall launch of the next-generation iPad, which will include a higher-resolution display.
"There are some indications from the supply chain that Apple may look to introduce an 'iPad 2 Plus' device as they put out request for quotes from various component suppliers for this marginally different device," FBR Capital Markets analyst Craig Berger wrote in a note to clients.

Apple may launch the device in late 2011, the analyst said, citing supply-chain contacts.
Berger's view of the next-generation iPad as a tweaked iPad 2 is essentially the reverse of theories that initially appeared earlier this year in the lead-up to the iPad 2 launch. At that time, some observers had considered what would become the iPad 2 to be an interim release to carry Apple through until it could release a more significant update later in the year.

But with Apple actually having made fairly substantial improvements in the iPad 2 with the addition of dual cameras, a 33% thinner enclosure, and processor and graphics enhancements, Berger's report takes the view of the next-generation iPad being an enhanced iPad 2 rather than a full iPad 3 update.

Regardless of the name attached to the rumored next-generation device, a shift to a higher-resolution display approaching "Retina" resolutions in the range of 250-300 ppi would of course be a substantial improvement even on its own, although it is unclear just what other enhancements would be included in the new iPad.

Article Link: Apple Gearing Up for 'iPad 2 Plus' Release Later This Year?

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
I think they'd generate more revenue if they held the actual Retina display for the iPad 3. The iPad 2 is fast as it is at the moment, though. Calling it 'Plus' would be silly.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
If they barely can keep up with demand now, why would they release a new super hot product right at the start of the x-mas shopping season? Doesn't add up.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
They better put real cameras in it this time!

These crappy .97 & .05 pixels are a joke!

Last edited:

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
iPad2 + Retina > Higher price?

I would buy it nevertheless. The new DualCore A5 and the improved graphics capabilities would make me buy it. Even if they price the retina version much higher. Think about how many display they would have needed if they launched it with retina.
I think this is a limiting factor right now.

glopezpadro

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
iPad 2 Plus ?

really, an RFQ from Apple… I don't buy it, this guys know this stuff a year in advance… not 90 days of bidding before release.:apple:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder if this would be a case of selling both at the same time. The current iPad 2 stays at the current price or even drops a very small amount, the iPad 2 Plus would start at a higher price and maybe go up to 128gb at the top end.

JamesDo

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Could you please stop posting this crap, it doesn't make any sense. The editor should use his common sense, a new version would mean that developers have to update their applications again <--- costing a lot of money. And Apple doesn't benefit either since the iPad 2 is doing fine, and the production costs will be lower every month.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
"This is the year of the iPad 2." -Steve Jobs

Who cares what he said? Do you really think one slide at a keynote will dictate a multi billion dollar corporation's product release schedule?

If it's the right time and they want to do it, they'll release it.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
It seems odd that Apple will do this. What's there to add to the iPad 2 and not be substantial? SD card slot? 128GB storage? Better camera? Better battery? I don't see the point of releasing this mid-cycle since the competitors are still playing catch-up and iPad 2 is still selling like hot cakes. If anything, a minor, less noteworthy mid-cycle update that makes sense would be new colors... To me, the iPad 2 with the upcoming iOS 5 is enough of a mid-cycle "refresh".

patp

Apr 10, 2008
If they barely can keep up with demand now, why would they release a new super hot product right at the start of the x-mas shopping season? Doesn't add up.

i agree. I see no sense in offering something new when they haven't really finished the first product cycle for iPad 2. I see them ramp up production for the 3rd and 4th quarters, but do not see a new version coming.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The story doesn't seem too far fetched to be honest, the iMac had two updates in 2009 with roughly six-eight months of a gap and the second was a whole new design. These updates might be unusual but they're not unheard of.

Last edited by a moderator:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
They still can't meet demand for ipad 2, but they are going to release a new one already.. Sorry, doubt it.

I admit I may be wrong, but apple doesn't NEED to play launch one every six months. Even if android software gets better optimized, it will take at least a year to have the smooth feel of ios - and this is after I tried to defect.

I'm not sure even a 2x as powerful as ipad 2 tablet running honeycomb could accomplish the speed and smoothness of ipad 2.. so why rush to release in contest with other makers?

Apple simply doesn't need to spend more in r/d and speed up release cycles, right now. They very well may in a year's time.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Who cares what he said? Do you really think one slide at a keynote will dictate a multi billion dollar corporation's product release schedule?

If it's the right time and they want to do it, they'll release it.

Exactly.

PLUS -

Steve Jobs is known for misguiding people and other companies into making wrong/incompetent decisions. It's high time people realise that Steve Jobs bluffs a lot which necessarily adds to Apple's advantages.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
It seems odd that Apple will do this. What's there to add to the iPad 2 and not be substantial? SD card slot? 128GB storage? Better camera? Better battery? I don't see the point of releasing this mid-cycle since the competitors are still playing catch-up and iPad 2 is still selling like hot cakes. If anything, a minor, less noteworthy mid-cycle update that makes sense would be new colors... To me, the iPad 2 with the upcoming iOS 5 is enough of a mid-cycle "refresh".

I agree that a new tablet seems unlikely but simply replacing the screen with a higher res unit would be a pretty big blow to the those upstarts.

Personally I'm not going to worry about it. My eToys won't stop working if they do come out with another version. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.