Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is getting a bit silly.
Apple should just release their own jailbreak option for iOS.
-Choose to jailbreak and you are on your own & good luck to you. Stick with Apple's oversight and they will cover you. Your choice.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Makes me wonder... Do the people at Apple actually use Jailbreakme and other jailbreak related tools in order to find the exploit? They must...

No, they just randomly poke around trying to find the holes in iOS to fix.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Jailbroke my iPad 2 today, worked too damn well... then I looked around in Cydia and couldn't find anything I wanted that wasn't already coming for free in iOS 5... Guess I'll wait for 4.3.4 to get rid of the jailbreak and Cydia...

Get RetinaPad. It is a feature that should have been put in iOS5. Silly for Apple to just scale up (2x) the 480x320 iPhone apps to 960x640 when they could use the retina 960x640 resolution (for apps that have it) for MUCH better presentation.

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I used to use MyWi, but got the message from AT&T. I JB my iPad 2, but nothing really useful as I don't pirate apps and it's Wifi only. I do still use My3G on my iPhone 4 so I can make FaceTime calls with my wife. I guess if they allow that feature, I'll be done with the JB.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
hope the software update comes fast, jailbreaking not worth it, too many issues and needing to restore many times. now everything seems good to go on the iphone except when connection to itunes / sync. takes a few times to stay connected get an error itunes error iphone could not connect 0EX8000001

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I love how apple calls this a "fix"

You do understand that jailbreaks work because they take advantage of a security vulnerability SO HUGE that they can actually rewrite parts of the device operating system, install entire apps that sidestep the normal install process, hack all kinds of system settings...

You don't consider that the tiniest bit dangerous? You'd rather Apple just leave it out there? Surely nobody would ever exploit such a vulnerability for evil, because hackers are all looking out for our best interests, right?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

It's great that they respond so quickly. I'll be keeping my JB for now tho.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
And please don't come with some safety nonsense arguments. For those of you who can read German, here is what the German BSI has to say about the security of iOS:

https://www.bsi.bund.de/ContentBSI/...lle-im-Apple-Betriebssystem-iOS-06072011.html

So, no, iOS is by NO MEANS safer just because Apple cripples your experience. The mere fact that you can jailbreak iOS by simply visiting a website already negates that argument.
Apple's curation has no effect on the number of zero-day exploits for a given platform. So, I don't see how the security layer added by curation is affected (or even negated) by zero-day exploits.
Unless you think that curation means zero security risks (beyond social engineering), I never did and nobody claimed as much. And the German authorities make no reference to Apple's curation in the link you posted.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Another confirmation why it was a good thing for me to switch to Android. I have apps on my Galaxy S2 that I even use for work that Apple had banned from their App Store (e.g. WiFi Analyzer). It's ridiculous that you have to jailbreak a phone to get useful software on it. It's a non-issue in Android land.

And please don't come with some safety nonsense arguments. For those of you who can read German, here is what the German BSI has to say about the security of iOS:

https://www.bsi.bund.de/ContentBSI/...lle-im-Apple-Betriebssystem-iOS-06072011.html

So, no, iOS is by NO MEANS safer just because Apple cripples your experience. The mere fact that you can jailbreak iOS by simply visiting a website already negates that argument.

Wasn't it German researchers that found a huge security hole in Android back in March too?

Regardless, I really don't have have much to say about iOS security besides the fact of there being no such thing as a completely secure Smart phone platform. Android, iOS, Web OS, and the likes can all be compromised, period.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple can work fast when patching stupid JB holes, but we're still stuck with buggy-as-hell beta 2 for iOS 5 after a month.

Where the hell is beta 3, Apple?????

Because protecting the security of their actual customers is more urgent than pleasing developers?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Jailbroke my iPad 2 today, worked too damn well... then I looked around in Cydia and couldn't find anything I wanted that wasn't already coming for free in iOS 5... Guess I'll wait for 4.3.4 to get rid of the jailbreak and Cydia...

Tetherme and SBSettings and Retinapad

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Get RetinaPad. It is a feature that should have been put in iOS5. Silly for Apple to just scale up (2x) the 480x320 iPhone apps to 960x640 when they could use the retina 960x640 resolution (for apps that have it) for MUCH better presentation.

Makes sense, but I use iPhone apps on my iPhone, and iPad apps on my iPad... :cool:

Tetherme and SBSettings and Retinapad

My plan allows for Personal Hotspot, doesn't matter though because my iPad and iPhone use the same data plan anyways at no extra monthly cost on my phone bill. (Thank god for MultiSIM... thanks, T-Mobile [Germany]!)

SBSettings, maybe, but I actually don't dick around with the settings anymore like I used to, so having them readily available at all times also doesn't make much sense :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple can work fast when patching stupid JB holes, but we're still stuck with buggy-as-hell beta 2 for iOS 5 after a month.

Where the hell is beta 3, Apple?????

No beta 3 yet for ios 5?

This is it! I am leaving Apple for good.

Where would we all be if Apple released things on their schedule.
This is an outrage. How dare they!

In case you were serious:

May I suggest you contact Apple and PLEASE let them know that your time schedule is of the utmost importance and urgency?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

It's great that they respond so quickly. I'll be keeping my JB for now tho.

Errr... a statement that they'll fix a zero day exploit three days later with no timescale for implementation isn't very quick.

They might not fix it until September when iOS ships...

Phazer

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Because protecting the security of their actual customers is more urgent than pleasing developers?

This bug is very old, it became a priority to fix only because there was a big fuss about it when the new jailbreak came out. I think these security issues need to be fixed in a much faster timeframe, after all the fix is available in Cydia already...

It's a shame you have the bug fixed by a third party but you have to keep the device not secure with Apple's official stuff.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
No beta 3 yet for ios 5?

This is it! I am leaving Apple for good.

Where would we all be if Apple released things on their schedule.
This is an outrage. How dare they!

In case you were serious:

May I suggest you contact Apple and PLEASE let them know that your time schedule is of the utmost importance and urgency?

LOL I know. Only half serious.

Actually development was going quite well during beta 1, then beta 2 hit, and things have slowed to crawl because testing is infuriating due to massive bugs in iTunes 10.5 beta 2 and iPad_1 beta 2.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You obviously have no idea how jailbreaking works.

JailbreakMe exploits a BUG in iOS. We all know that ;) Its not hacking into the OS, its exploiting Apples own flaw that they have known about for a couple of years, but failed to fix.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
For some reason whenever I've jailbroken an iOS device in the past, even when just installing one of two apps or changing a few unimportant things, the battery life seems to really drop off, and things eventually become really sluggish.

The same happened with my iPad 2, after I jailbroke it, I was just browsing Cydia but it ended up getting really warm and munching through the battery. Perhaps the apps for jailbroken devices aren't efficiently coded, or maybe there's some kind of anti-jailbreak thing Apple's put in the kernel to sap away batteries on jailbroken devices.

I couldn't find anything useful in Cydia, so I ended up restoring back to a non-jailbroken device. As others have mentioned, most of the useful features you could get by jailbreaking have been included in the OS now anyway.

Sorry, but i respectfully disagree. I have jailbroken iphone, and have everything off...WiFi, 3G, data, location, push. As such 2 day off a full charge, i am still in the 90 percentile.....Jailbroken or not, you just have to be smart about whats on and whats off. Also, use SBSettings and Remove Background Toggle, to always have a wiped-clean multi-tasking pane...nothing should be running when not in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.