Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This is my next... adds some additional color to recent reports of a higher-resolution iPad set for launch later this year, claiming that the new "iPad HD" device will be sold alongside the existing iPad 2 and will target professional users in the video or photo industries. Apple is also said to be planning to debut iPad versions of at least one its pro-level apps such as Final Cut Pro or Aperture alongside the iPad HD.
Our sources are saying that not only will there be a newly designed iPhone coming in the fall, but there is going to be a new entry into the iPad family as well. As hard as it might be to believe, the new tablet is said to sport a double resolution screen (2048 x 1536), and will be dubbed the "iPad HD." The idea behind the product is apparently that it will be a "pro" device aimed at a higher end market - folks who work in video and photo production possibly - and will be introduced alongside something like an iPad version of Final Cut or Aperture. This product is specifically said to not be the iPad 3, rather a complimentary piece of the iPad 2 line. Think MacBook and MacBook Pro.
The report also goes on to try to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the next-generation iPhone and whether it will be a complete redesign or simply a minor tweak to the existing iPhone 4 that has come to be informally known as the "iPhone 4S".

iphone_4_ipad_2_black_white.jpg

According to the report's sources, Apple is indeed planning a smaller and lighter design for the iPhone 5, but has also been testing those components within iPhone 4 enclosures, leading to the confusion over the company's plans.
Simply put, as the iPhone 5 components are built for a smaller and lighter device, they can be easily fit into a casing which for all intents and purposes looks identical to an iPhone 4... and that's exactly what Apple has been doing. Our sources tell us that the company has been testing the new components in old iPhone cases, for obvious reasons.
The current iPhone 4 design is said to have fallen "out of favor" with Apple executives, leading to the substantial efforts to introduce a redesigned form factor only a little over a year after the iPhone 4's debut.

Article Link: Apple to Launch 'iPad HD' This Fall Alongside Pro Apps?

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
iPhone 4 'out of favor'? Madmen, they don't appreciate the beauty of their own creations!

Also, I think all these iPad HD versions are nonsense. There will just be an iPad 3, whose main feature will be a retina display just like the iPhone.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I'm not sure how much I believe Joshua Topolsky rumors. He has been pretty inaccurate in the past.

Also, the believability that Apple is making a professional-aimed iPad is somewhat questionable right now, as it really seems like everything Apple is doing is moving towards Consumer and Prosumer and away from Professionals.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
(iPhone 4) fallen "out of favor" with Apple executives...

maybe fallen out of their pockets and smashed too many times...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Why the iPad HD only at the high-end?

Low-yield of the HD screens? Too pricey? Performance at that resolution too poor for games, but good enough for photo display?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Not surprised at an iOS version of FCP at all, but I do find it odd if Apple plans to supplant the iPad 2 so quickly.

Though it does make you wonder how much longer OS X has to live.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
This is all getting extremely confusing. One of the best thing I like about apple (or more specifically iDevices) is that they have a fixed update cycle. Now iPhone 5 is not on schedule, there are talks about high resolution iPad showing up within 6 months of last refresh, and there are rumors that apple will kill iPod touch (some dumb blog suggested it a few weeks ago but I of course dont believe it).

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I'll believe it when I see it, but bring on lightroom for the ipad HD.

robT9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Ipad 2 HD

Finally, an article that makes sense. I suspected all along that 2011 is still the year of the ipad2...just that they will offer another option that costs more in the fall (ipad 2 HD).

People will then have a choice, and Apple can stay on the forefront in this space.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
The current iPhone 4 design is said to have fallen "out of favor" with Apple executives, leading to the substantial efforts to introduce a redesigned form factor only a little over a year after the iPhone 4's debut.

Not a surprise and exactly why I think the iPhone 5 will be a redesign. With all the antenna business, I'd think Apple would want to move on.

Re the Pro apps, as we've seen with FCPX, 'Pro' means nothing.

fluffylion

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
seems plausible

having knowledge of behind-the-scenes business tactics and way of thinking
i can say a redesigned iphone is most likely, as the negative feedback with the reception issues after launch would of angered senior management and there would of been a lot of ear chewing

ipad HD also sounds plausible. its a potential market to create and control
having already made pages etc available. it sounds like smart business to suck every buck out of consumers before ipad 3

it also seems the ipad is to be apples future, and trying to create this "post-pc" world

however, the ipad really needs a usb port to connect to external dvd/cd drives and hard drives or flash sticks

optical technology is not going anywhere in this life time
but the mouse and keyboard certainly can

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
This makes a lot of sense, this way they can charge more for those people that really want a nicer screen, but without scaring away people who just want a great iPad (the iPad 2). I think a lot of people will be upgrading even if it is just a screen upgrade (myself included :))

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
iPhone 4 'out of favor'? Madmen, they don't appreciate the beauty of their own creations!

If you will remember, the iPhone 4 development was lead by Mark Papermaster, who left the company. Could be some desire by top management to get rid of his product.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
why would they call it HD? 2048 x 1536 resolution is both higher than what is considered HD (1920X1080) and is a different aspect ratio. This just tells me these analysts don't no what they're taking about.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That seems so unApple-like. (to release a slightly better product with an add on to the name). I'm not saying it's bad, but just unusual.

It's like the jump from
Palm Pre -> Palm Pre Plus
Droid X -> Droid x2

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
It's only going to get worse as the months drag along. Every day there will be crazy, conflicting rumors. I haven't figured out yet if I'm amused or annoyed at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
why would they call it HD? 2048 x 1536 resolution is both higher than what is considered HD (1920X1080) and is a different aspect ratio. This just tells me these analysts don't no what they're taking about.

Anything above 720 is HD, it's not any specific res that's 'HD'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.