Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Time Warner Cable today announced the release of a major update to its TWCable TV app for iPad, increasing the number of channels available for live viewing to over 100 and adding new channel guide, remote control, and DVR management capabilities when used with compatible set-top boxes.

twcable_tv_jailbroken.jpg

But as noted by Engadget, the updated app also brings one other unpublicized change: jailbreak detection that renders the app inoperable on jailbroken devices. Time Warner Cable offers no specific reason for its disabling of the app for jailbroken devices, although it seems likely that the cable company fears unauthorized tools that could facilitiate unauthorized usage of the live TV feeds being sent through the app.

On a separate note, Time Warner Cable and Viacom have been said to be negotiating a settlement to a legal dispute that saw Viacom channels such as Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon quickly removed from the TWCable TV app after its debut, but the Viacom channels have yet to make their return to the platform.

Article Link: Time Warner Cable Updates Live TV App for iPad, Shuts Out Jailbreakers

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
This is disheartening to read.

I understand their concern - however this was just a bit unnecessary. If people want to copy their video feeds they will. It's that simple.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I have a feeling that they are the first of what could be many developers following suit and intentionally breaking their apps on jailbroken devices.

I could easily see HBO, Comcast, and others following suit.

Sucks!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Tomorrow: Jailbreakers release a new tool to get around Time Warner jailbreak blocking code by spoofing such and such and adding a line of code to the file in the blah blah blah...

Seriously, why try to fight the Jailbreakers? They will always find a way. You're wasting your time and resources, Time Warner Cable. If anything, they will see this as more of a challenge now that you've publicized it. Good luck with that.

I wish Mediacom would get off their lazy butts and make a cool iPad app, but HAHAHAHAHA who am I kidding we're talking about Mediacom! Hahaha a stupid local provider that is so backwards that when troubleshooting connection issues on the phone, they don't understand and get very confused when I tell them I don't have Internet Explorer, lol.

...I can't wait to move back to the city. Next year!!

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Time Warner Cable is the dumbest company around. Their Internet, phone, and TV services are horrible and unreliable. Now they try to shut out jailbreakers? Pitiful. If people want access to the files for the app, then they can do so WITHOUT being jailbroken. Fire up iPhoneExplorer for Windows or Mac OS X, and BAM. View all the files. People can then change them up or view them.

Brenzo

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
Chicago
What's so idiotic is that there is no reason to block access to the jailbreak community as the only way to access the content in the first place is to be a paid subscriber. This will only anger existing customers.

What will be interesting is to see if other app developers start implementing a similar jailbreak detection "feature" into their apps.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hate cable companies so much.

BlueHedgehog

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

First the Skype iPhone app, and now this app from Time Warner cable! :mad:

Well, at least Skype only displays a warning message (once) and works fine for me (Yes, my iPhone's jailbroken).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
lol yeah this was the first thing I thought of. There's no point TWC! Resistance is futile!

Chances are the jailbreakers will figure out how to get around it but it might take a while depending on how tw did it. My guess is it trys to run some code that works on jailbroken phones but on non broken phones it fails.
Mix that with server side checking to make sure most updated version it gets harder to get around.
The jailbreakers way I am going to guess to get around this current blocking will make a modified version of the apk that is lacking the checking like they did for netflix for Android.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
how about you just don't jailbreak your phones? :rolleyes:

Somehow I don't think that will make much difference since this is all about the iPad.

How about you just read the article and keep your snark to yourself? :rolleyes:

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

mklaman said:
how about you just don't jailbreak your phones? :rolleyes:

It's so simple! You're absolutely brilliant! You know the difference between an iPhone and iPad too!

OT: I give it about 7 days before we see an app on Cydia that unrestricts not only this app, but any app using this restriction by emulating an unmodified iOS device.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
And this is where install0us becomes very hand in the ability to downgrade...

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Who cares, it's a lousy program in the first place.

Who watches tv on an ipad when your sitting at home and have your flat screen right in front of you.

Do you have a TV in every room of your house? I most certainly don't. :rolleyes:

This app has really come in handy for me.

I care, it's a good app, I use it, and it's "you're".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.