Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KCartlidge

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Stoke On Trent
Purchased History!

Is there anyway in the App Store that you can delete the purchased history? There are Apps on there that are no longer needed and i wanted to delete! I can delete on iTunes but they are still on the App Store on my devices, which is annoying.. :apple:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
A number of discussions about this going on but unfortunately the answer is the same: not at this time.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Is there anyway in the App Store that you can delete the purchased history? There are Apps on there that are no longer needed and i wanted to delete! I can delete on iTunes but they are still on the App Store on my devices, which is annoying.. :apple:

deleting an app on iTunes on the computer is not the same as deleting it from your purchase history, if you go into your purchase history on the computer will show the same apps as on the iPad (give or take some beta glitches at the mo).

you cannot delete from your purchase history on any devices. if you don't need an app, just delete it from your devices, simples.

there's a long debate thread in the iPhone forum on this matter, tho that's more about people breaking T&C's by sharing their apple ID with family.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Wouldn't that make for an incomplete payment history? Maybe it would be better for Apple to let users make a list (or lists) based on their payment history. The idea if deleting items from the payment history doesn't seem right to me.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Wouldn't that make for an incomplete payment history? Maybe it would be better for Apple to let users make a list (or lists) based on their payment history. The idea if deleting items from the payment history doesn't seem right to me.

i get why people are asking it, but it makes no sense, if you have a long list on the device, there's the spotlight search at the top of the page to save you scrolling

Exodudee

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the problem isn't as much privacy or secrets or skeletons, the point is, Apple should at least have the functionality to hide/delete app history. It's not THAT difficult to enable a red-slider to remove/delete whilst still maintaining a 'receipt' on Apple's main servers.

The point isn't scrolling either, its just its annoying not to be able to edit or delete what you have on your iDevice; plus people get attached to silly things like accounts and the like :)

Personally, everyone should give Apple some feedback (as I did.. as of yet, no response!!) rather than wahhh-ing.

Simples!

KCartlidge

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Stoke On Trent
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the problem isn't as much privacy or secrets or skeletons, the point is, Apple should at least have the functionality to hide/delete app history. It's not THAT difficult to enable a red-slider to remove/delete whilst still maintaining a 'receipt' on Apple's main servers.

The point isn't scrolling either, its just its annoying not to be able to edit or delete what you have on your iDevice; plus people get attached to silly things like accounts and the like :)

Personally, everyone should give Apple some feedback (as I did.. as of yet, no response!!) rather than wahhh-ing.

Simples!

The red slider would be a good thing! Its the fact that the deleted Apps are there, it ain't anything do with privacy......

Last edited:

JohnBuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Apple already has parental restrictions for people like you. The only way this is really a problem is if you're trying to hide something from a spouse or something.

BINGO! ...and it's not Apple's or your responsibility to be a moral compass. People like myself share their phone with their kids and wife for various reasons. It's a hassle to log out of iTunes through settings every time I hand my phone over. If they don't fix this by the time my 2 year contract is up, I'm switching to an Android or maybe I'll jailbreak the phone to fix it. Right now, I think I'll resort to moving back to ios 4.3.2

JohnBuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Well, the Terms of Use you sign states you will not share your account information so...

From the TOS:

YOUR ACCOUNT

As a registered user of the iTunes Service, you may establish an account ("Account"). Don’t reveal your Account information to anyone else. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your Account and for all activities that occur on or through your Account...

Seriously? My family doesn't know what my Apple ID/pw is. I lock it down so my kids can't buy apps without logging in first. I take responsibility for the account as you quoted. But now I have to actually log out through the settings before I let my wife touch the phone if I don't want her to see questionable free apps I took on a test run. Apple isn't giving me the ability to 'take responsibility' for all activities. If they did, I'd have no issues.

JohnBuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
P.S. - In the end, make sure whoever owns the Apple ID, to make sure that only you know it, because I believe you need to re enter your Apple ID to view your purchase history on your Apple ID. Then again, you could always make a fresh one, and bury the other one. LOL

you don't need to re-enter it. Not unless you log out by going into the settings.

but thanks for the idea about the new account!!!

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
1.Open iTunes.

2.Locate the "Store" section in the main menu pane on the left side of your screen and select "Purchased." Your purchase history will populate in the main window.

3.Click "Edit" at top left of your screen and choose "Select All" in the pull-down menu. This will highlight every entry in your purchase history.

4.Right-click any of the highlighted titles in the main menu and select "Delete."

Edit: tried this and it doesn't work at all... oh well :(

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
It's a privacy concern. If you share your device, it most certainly is.

If you share you device then log out. If you share your ID (against the TOS) then there isn't much you can do. It's not a privacy issue, especially if you give someone your phone logged into your account so they can see everything.

inlvnv

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Not a fan of displaying purchase history. I just stopped buying apps and downloading free apps all together. It looks like my wife and two kids have done the same. I guess we are doing our talking with our pocket books.

161h

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
heres how to do it::

go on ur itunes
- apps page
- click on get more apps
- scroll to the bottom and look at the 'manage' menu
- click 'purchased'
- change from music to apps
- and when you hover over each app you have the choice to delete them and they wont show up on ur ipod or pc any longer

p.s dont forget to empty ur recylce bin on ur pc too!!:D

umti1130

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
Well you can just

Well you can just "hide" the apps. What you have to do is just pretend you are deleting it by sliding across the app and the red "hide button" will appear. Just sprees on that and the app will go transparent on the list. Exit the screen to the homepage and after a while, come back to it and the transparent apps should have disappeard. If it hasn't then just keep trying. It worked for me :)

Aleksandar

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Problem solved!!!!

1. Open App Store
2. Go to Updates
3. Press on Purchases
Here you see every app that has ever been downloaded on this Apple ID.
Swipe, with your finger, from the name of the app to the right. A red box should appear to the right of the app name. It sas "HIDE".
4. Press the red box.

Found it our myself w/out stupid apples help

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

JBTX said:
Can't you simply go into setting and remove your apple id from the device?

Yep she would loose video, apps and other authorized content. iCloud is not fully released and its already a cluster #%@#$ :mad:

Plus I'm not making a separate iTunes account for a 6 year old child!

I tell everyone that will listen that individual AppleIDs per family member is the way to go. I've an older daughter that shared her moms account for over 7-8 years and that amounted to several hundred dollars of music and apps purchases combined. When she went away to college it was necessary to split the account, which you cant do. So my wife gave up the account and had to start all over.

Set up your child with their own account. Keep the password for yourself. Put iTunes gift cards on their account if you wish. Over the years this will save you issues in the long run.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
1. Open App Store
2. Go to Updates
3. Press on Purchases
Here you see every app that has ever been downloaded on this Apple ID.
Swipe, with your finger, from the name of the app to the right. A red box should appear to the right of the app name. It sas "HIDE".
4. Press the red box.

Found it our myself w/out stupid apples help

I said this back in October.........my post is actually 2 posts above yours.......seriously.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Or you could , you know, grow up and ask your wife to quit playing the role of your mother. If an iPhone app is cause for marital discord, I'd say you two have a shaky marriage.

Problem Solva

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Purchase History Solved

----Well from what I Understood, the problem is that you cannot delete apps from purchase history-------

*************Solution***************
Simply follow these steps:
1. Open up PC
2. Open iTunes
3. Click on App store
4. Scroll down to the very bottom
5. Look right under the Manage category
6. Click on Purchased
--It will Automatically show you the music you bought, if you wish to delete apps or any movies or books, simply click on the category that says so-- I usually delete [Apps] So I will be talking about this category.

7. Put the mouse on the top left corner of the app you want to remove from
purchased until an X shows up
8. Click on the X and the app will be deleted from history

Note: Make Sure You are Signed in to begin this method!!

Thankyou :)

b&w

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, it will be a problem updating, but it wouldn't effect apps already on the device (I think). I think it's workable for the gentlemen concerned about his child, but a spouse... not so much. I don't know if there really is solution other than to stop sharing accounts.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2009
RI
----Well from what I Understood, the problem is that you cannot delete apps from purchase history-------

*************Solution***************
Simply follow these steps:
1. Open up PC
2. Open iTunes
3. Click on App store
4. Scroll down to the very bottom
5. Look right under the Manage category
6. Click on Purchased
--It will Automatically show you the music you bought, if you wish to delete apps or any movies or books, simply click on the category that says so-- I usually delete [Apps] So I will be talking about this category.

7. Put the mouse on the top left corner of the app you want to remove from
purchased until an X shows up
8. Click on the X and the app will be deleted from history

Note: Make Sure You are Signed in to begin this method!!

Thankyou :)

It does not work on my system?
Plus I dont see some apps that i bought from my iPad and deleted them on it but they are still visible with the Icloud symbol and you cannot swipe it so show a hide button. Has something changed in a software update?
Some of those apps I deleted do not show up in my purchase history on my Mac Itunes. Something is wrong..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.