Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Would like to hear from people who bought keyboards for their iPads. The Apple keyboard seems nice, but has anyone found one that is easier to travel with? Thanks!

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
I purchased and just received today the Verbatim 97537 folding keyboard (http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97537-Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B004L9LT2E). Initial impressions were extremely positive - decent feel, compact and useful iOS specific keys (home button and onscreen keyboard button). Unfortunately one of the halves of mine is warped and the "H" button is loose and doesn't register every keystroke, so it's going back for an exchange. Fortunately, however, Amazon customer service is fantastic and they've already shipped me a replacement unit next day air in advance of me even sending back the defective unit.

I have an Apple wireless keyboard at home, but its length makes it a bit too cumbersome to carry around regularly. I also looked at the Scosche flexible keyboard but disliked the keystroke feel of the silicone keys and thought it would be less versatile because it requires a firm flat surface whereas the Verbatim does not (it can be locked into open position).

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I wouldn't say it's "easier to travel with" than the Apple Wireless keyboard, but an excellent alternative if you need a reliable, excellent keyboard for extensive text entry, consider the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth mobile keyboard. It has some significant advantages compared to the Apple product (along with some disadvantages.) I have both.

() The Microsoft keyboard is much less expensive. Sells for $45 on Amazon and for as little as $30 (without a separate numeric keypad) on buy.com.

() It's a bit wider and ergonomically curved for a natural wrist position than the Apple keyboard. Thus, the keys are a bit larger and if you use the keyboard for extensive text entry, it's more comfortable.

() As noted above, the Microsoft keyboard comes with a separate bluetooth numeric keypad. This may be a crucial advantage for those who work with spreadsheets or other number-heavy apps. (See Amazon for a picture of the two separate pieces.)

() On the other hand, the Microsoft keyboard is plastic, not aluminum. It's quite rugged, however. I've traveled with mine for a couple of years and it holds up very well.

() Unlike the Apple keyboard, the Microsoft is not elevated at the top. I find it very comfortable but others may differ. On the other hand, it's very thin and for that reason it's in some ways easier to pack than the Apple keyboard.

Although the Microsoft keyboard works very well with the iPad, I've opted to use the Apple keyboard simply because it fits into the Incase Origami Workstation which provides a stand for the iPad in addition to a case for the keyboard. Further, I also use a Waterfield Travel Express case for the iPad and keyboard. The Apple keyboard in the Origami Workstation case fits in the case; the Microsoft keyboard does not.

If that's not an issue for others, a small stand (such as the "Nest" from Bluelounge) combined with the Microsoft keyboard makes an excellent combination.

All in all, the Apple and the Microsoft keyboards each have their pluses (and minuses.) I do a LOT of typing in my work so a good keyboard is essential. I haven't been impressed by the "feel" or durability of most "travel" keyboards, especially those that "fold" into small packages. YMMV.

http://www.buy.com/prod/microsoft-bluetooth-keyboard-6000/q/loc/101/219044629.html

http://www.bluelounge.com/products/nest/

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I purchased the zagg/logitech casemate keyboard and really like using it. The only negative I have found is that the back of it can scratch up easily. But it fits and works great.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I purchased the zagg/logitech casemate keyboard and really like using it. The only negative I have found is that the back of it can scratch up easily. But it fits and works great.

I have this keyboard, and use it for more extensive typing, when the onscreen keyboard bothers me. I must say, it works very well for me. I do like how compact it is, especially for travelling.

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I just found a review of this Keyboard; I think it looks like one of the best ones available.It resembles an "improved" version of the Zaggmate/Logitech:

aluminiumkeyboardbuddy.jpg

See the review here, especially the video:
http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/applelinks_ios_news_reader_wednesday_july_6_2011/#3

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
That one looks great, but I read on engadget that the downside is you can't adjust the iPad while its in place, making it uncomfortable to view.
I suppose it depends on the angle that the Manufacturer used for optimum viewing. I have the Logitech, and the angle is great, but not adjustable; what is a nuisance though, is the little plastic hinge/support mechanism you have to unfold each time you want to prop up the ipad. I have a feeling that with prolonged use, this might break.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
UPDATE:
I've used the Verbatim keyboard a bit more and have to revise my initially positive impressions as I've realized that using it feels like a kludge. It takes a bit of getting used to each time I use it, I have to be a bit more conscious of my keystrokes and it creaks and flexes a bit with every keystroke (mostly due to its folding design). Also, while I still appreciate how compact in length it is when folded, it's also twice as thick when folded which makes it a bit of a push in terms of the benefits of the folding design, and not worth the loss in rigidity. It's not terrible, but it looks and feels so distinctly un-Apple like that it detracts from the experience of using the iPad.

I have, however, found a possible alternative - the Joy Factory Arpeggio (http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/input-device/arpeggio-for-ipad-ipad-2.html). It's roughly an inch shorter/narrower than the Apple BT keyboard, and while it is very slightly thicker than the Apple BT keyboard, because it is completely flat as opposed to raised in the rear, it actually looks and more importantly packs slimmer than than Apple. Feel is terrific - on par with the Apple - rock solid with zero flex. In short, it's a pleasure to use. The only major disadvantage I see so far is the price - it's price is roughly the same as the Apple keyboard, but doesn't have the same build quality. That's not to say the build quality is bad - it actually seems to be one of the best designed and built non-Apple BT keyboards I've come across - but it does fall fairly well short of the Apple which makes the price too high in my opinion. That said, I'm surprised by how much of a difference the one inch less of length and flat design make in terms of carrying options (e.g., it will fit in many iPad sleeves whereas the Apple wont), and that may well make it worth the price. I'll give another update after some more use.

I purchased and just received today the Verbatim 97537 folding keyboard (http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97537-Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B004L9LT2E). Initial impressions were extremely positive - decent feel, compact and useful iOS specific keys (home button and onscreen keyboard button). Unfortunately one of the halves of mine is warped and the "H" button is loose and doesn't register every keystroke, so it's going back for an exchange. Fortunately, however, Amazon customer service is fantastic and they've already shipped me a replacement unit next day air in advance of me even sending back the defective unit.

I have an Apple wireless keyboard at home, but its length makes it a bit too cumbersome to carry around regularly. I also looked at the Scosche flexible keyboard but disliked the keystroke feel of the silicone keys and thought it would be less versatile because it requires a firm flat surface whereas the Verbatim does not (it can be locked into open position).

Evancx3

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Long Beach

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
That one looks great, but I read on engadget that the downside is you can't adjust the iPad while its in place, making it uncomfortable to view.

I just got this keyboard and am typing on it now. It looks and feels a lot better than the ZaggMate IMO. It took a few minutes to get used to the size, like the ZaggMate did. The build on this unit feels a lot better and the ZM looks cheap in comparison. The only downside, thus far, is the iPad is not assssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss (ok that's another downside - the s key just went crazy) but the downside I was writing about is the fact that it is not as easy to get out of the case as it appears on the video. May that will get easier with time. So far, glad I got it and not ZM, which I had for iPad 1 and didn't like. I held out for something better and feel like I may have found it. I have a nice Zagg Skin on the back however.

alukado

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Well I definitely recommend this Aluminum Bluetooth Keyboard Dock Base,
Sleek and stylish design with unique and useful features makes the keyboard dock an essential accessory to buy for your iPad 2

13746.jpg

Also the price is very competitive , $39.99 from slickgate

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
DO NOT GET THE ZAGG KNOCKOFF!!!

Ok, now that everyone is listening: I purchased one of these the day they were announced, about 3 weeks or more ago. I finally got it today, and half the keys are useless. I can't even backspace because the key isn't responding, and almost none of the iOS specific keys up top work either. The "aluminum" reminds me more of foil, as when I got the case out of the packaging, it was bend horrible out of shape, so badly in fact that the iPad 2 won't even fit into it. Looking on the Facebook page for the company that makes it, MIC Gadget, its a hugely common problem and the solutions involves weeks more of waiting and spending $40 to ship it back to Hong Kong.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
DO NOT GET THE ZAGG KNOCKOFF!!!

Ok, now that everyone is listening: I purchased one of these the day they were announced, about 3 weeks or more ago. I finally got it today, and half the keys are useless. I can't even backspace because the key isn't responding, and almost none of the iOS specific keys up top work either. The "aluminum" reminds me more of foil, as when I got the case out of the packaging, it was bend horrible out of shape, so badly in fact that the iPad 2 won't even fit into it. Looking on the Facebook page for the company that makes it, MIC Gadget, its a hugely common problem and the solutions involves weeks more of waiting and spending $40 to ship it back to Hong Kong.

Wow. That's not my experience. It's really not a Zagg knockoff. It has it's own design and I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.