Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I am on a 900mhz iBook running 10.2.8.
My airport card seems to be having some issues, and I am having some problems with troubleshooting.
Starting Friday night, I noticed my internet blinking (via my airport wireless card). I checked the router, no problems with the router. Also, my roommate's wifi connection is running flawlessly, so it's not a router level problem.
I can connect fine via my ethernet port, so i don't think my ISP has mistakenly blocked me.
My airport settings are normal; cable modem, using dhcp, etc. The card can see my router and it's name, and shows full signal. But no internet comes in. Also, I cleared my router logs after resetting it and it did not show my computer under the connection logs.
Finally, I tried going into the airport utility and scanning for my router, which it found, and having it "join" my network. The first time it worked, but only for about 5 minutes, then the network blinked out again. Since then it hasn't worked.
I repaired permissions and ran the macjanitor scripts. I even rebooted! :eek:
Any other troubleshooting suggestions, or should I just bite the bullet and head over to my local apple store for a genius consult?

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
You know the same thing happened to me recently and I was just about to post about it. I used to be able to walk into the library here at school and connect to their wi-fi network with no problems. Now I have the exact same problem. I have a full signal, but I cannot get assigned an IP number from DHCP and therefore cannot connect to the internet. Does anyone know what's going on?

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I am getting the same problem (i think). Basically i connect to the Belkin router fine, 90% of the time, and i have half bars of signal.
Half the time it gets the correct ip address and can connect and half of the time it gets a completely wrong ip address and says something like "airport is connected to the Belkin54g but no ip address has been assigned" or something along those lines and i can't connect to the internet. When i cycle through different network profiles (all set up to connect with dhcp) sometimes it gets the right ip address again after 2 mins and sometimes it doesn't in 30.
It is completely random, no interference due to cordless phones, had Airport card replaced and problem has persisted, had a ibook and that worked pretty much 99% of the time. Called Apple up very pissed off but received the "we can't do anything, you have to take it to a local reseller (that is about 30 miles away) and it leave it with them. I am not going too though, i doubt they would look after my imac, give it back with new faults and in about 2-3 weeks and i need my imac for work.

MXDT

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2004
I have this problem too!
I get it when connecting to most open WiFi signals.. I can join, get full signal but no connection to the internet in any way.
Same happened when setting up my OWN WiFi... don't know how it worked eventually, just did.. i haven't touched any of the settings since just so i don't go through the night mare and DAYS it took me to get it to work in the first place.
Glad I'm not alone, hopefully apple will catch on and put out a fix.

Friggin annoying when your in a Cafe and all the Windows machines are joining the wifi and you stuck scratching your head with no success...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hey-I have the same problem as everyone else here. I don't get it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Is there anyone out there who can help?

BigDogg

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
TN
I've had this same trouble recently when I took my iBook with me to Atlanta.
The iBook was picking up the signal from the hotel, but i could not connect.
Finally, I talked to a representative who didn't help , and fixed it myself.
I shutdown the iBook, unplugged airport, replugged it back in, and turned it back on. I may have had to restart again I am not sure, but that fixed the prob.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
it sounds simple, though it helped as mentioned before: diconnect the airportcard, and connect it again - and do not forget to put in the little cable! i forgot that once and had full signal, but no internet.
good luck folks!
.a

MXDT

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2004
Are we ALL talking about iBooks here? Most specifically iBook G3's with regular Airport as opposed to Airport Extreme?

I'm on an iBook 900

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
MXDT said:
Are we ALL talking about iBooks here? Most specifically iBook G3's with regular Airport as opposed to Airport Extreme?

I'm on an iBook 900

I'm talking about an iBook, but an iBook G4 with Airport Extreme...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
it looks like apple has a few discussion threads on this on their boards too...
maybe it's the age of the airport cards?
or maybe there's some new ibook problem! one we're all encountering simultaneously! w00t!

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
Having a similar problem with my powerbook. I'll have 3 bars one minute, and then they are gone the next. (With the comp. in the same place.)

Maybe something to do with the last update?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Airport regularly goes titsup on me, detecting a signal, yeah, 3 bars, woohoo... no IP address, no connection.

Simple answer: click taskbar icon, clck "Other...", and reconnect to your network manually, by entering the name and key. Works even when it believes it's already connected, it just needs a figurative kickin'.

MXDT

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2004
Spizzo said:
Maybe something to do with the last update?

I've had this long before the last update....

Is there a place, address, feature in OS X to send alerts about bugs or something just in case this doesn't already have their attention?

I doubt it has their attention as i've had this for a while.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys-I'm sitting in a cafe right now and everything's working fine. I don't understand why it happens in some places and not others. And it seems really random. Could it just be a signal problem? Oh-and I'm on an iBook G4 1 Ghz.

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
brap said:
Airport regularly goes titsup on me, detecting a signal, yeah, 3 bars, woohoo... no IP address, no connection.

Simple answer: click taskbar icon, clck "Other...", and reconnect to your network manually, by entering the name and key. Works even when it believes it's already connected, it just needs a figurative kickin'.

I can sit right in front of the router, do that, and nothing, Just tells me there was an error connecting to the network.

It's like it has a mind of it's own...and got tired of the internet. It takes breaks, and then connects itself again.

Very weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.