Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Apple should just stop with their own priority ports and implement a HDMI port on macbooks. Stupid enough that you have to buy an adapter to use any non-apple monitor.
If you meant to call MDP proprietary, you would be wrong. Apple doesn't own the standard, it's part of the Displayport standard - a VESA standard.

HDMI is actually more proprietary than MDP is.

ETA: Beaten to the punch by a ton of folks...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
[/QUOTE]
Instead, users can buy[Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female dongles[/url]. [/QUOTE]

Goes to show you, nothing works without a female!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Yet another failure related to Mini DisplayPort! That's the worst thing ever. First this, then Thunderbolt. Incompatible with everything.

How come all projectors STILL use VGA, and the newer ones HDMI and not Mini DisplayPort? It's because Apple makes the wrong choices with stupid connectors.

diamondsw

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
A silly distinction on the HDMI forum's part. However, it's also worth noting that while MonoPrice's other cables are excellent, their mDP to HDMI products are crap (unless something changed *very* recently). Among other issues, they don't send audio across the HDMI connection - unlike competing dongles from Griffen and others.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Tell those smegheads at the HDMI licensing place to take a long walk off a short pier.

Here is a clue for you people in the "industry", give consumers who have purchased media the ability to view their purchased media how they want or risk losing even more sales to piracy or simply having people give up on watching it all together.

There is so much derivative and rehashed garbage in the theatres right now. I have stopped buying blu-rays.

I don't pirate but I also don't spend as much on media as I used to.

EiriasEmrys

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use a Belkin dongle that is sold in the store, works beautifully. To he who commented on apple's minidp: the thunderbolt (previously mini-displayport) is a very efficient port that does many things an "hdmi" port cannot do, such as every connector you can find of the consumer market. It also is a highspeed data port now, not replaceable by hdmi. Just because people don't want to spend $20-$30 more for a dongle and cable. It would be unApple to have multiple ports for the same purpose. (VGA, dvi, s-video, hdmi, etc)

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Managed to snag one of the last Macally MDHDMI6C Mini Display to HDMI Cable (6 feet). Does it have audio pass through?

diamondsw

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Yet another failure related to Mini DisplayPort! That's the worst thing ever. First this, then Thunderbolt. Incompatible with everything.

How come all projectors STILL use VGA, and the newer ones HDMI and not Mini DisplayPort? It's because Apple makes the wrong choices with stupid connectors.

Possibly because projectors are video equipment, not monitors, and as such need to connect to things other than computers (such as Blu-Ray players, which will only support HDMI for HD output), and projectors don't have to support >1080p resolutions (that monitors do).

HDMI doesn't work beyond 1920x1200, and monitors are far larger. Thus Apple uses a more flexible standard. You can drive an HDMI TV with a $20 dongle. You cannot drive a 2560x1600 monitor with HDMI, period. Newer computers will use Thunderbolt, which includes mDP.

So in essence, you want Apple to abandon a more capable port that is the basis for Thunderbolt and has increasing adoption in the PC space, for one that is limited to HDTV resolutions and can be replaced with a $20 dongle.

Thank God you don't run Apple. :rolleyes:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
So, don't call them cables. Call them adapters. Make a stubby little 1" long adapter, make a 2' adapter, a 6ft adapter, and a 12ft adapter, whose ends are connected by a "flexible extension".

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Something is definitely fishy here. Monoprice still has plenty of HDMI (male) to DVI cables for sale? Unless DVI is somehow exempt this seems to be the same kind of issue.

Personally I hate Apple's standard adapters as they leave a huge block near the ports and block the rest of the ports from being used. :(

B

May 24, 2011
Well even if mDP is not apple's.. I have yet to set it on any non-apple device. All the HD monitors I have seen have HDMI or VGA (VGA is still the easiest to hook up) or even DVI.

Even so, a HDMI port is useful for connecting to a TV too. Apple surely can squeeze it in, seeing as nearly all new laptops these days have one. My laptop from 2008 has one.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
If you meant to call MDP proprietary, you would be wrong. Apple doesn't own the standard, it's part of the Displayport standard - a VESA standard.

HDMI is actually more proprietary than MDP is.

ETA: Beaten to the punch by a ton of folks...

Haha, I was about to say the same thing.

Really IMO, all manufactures should start using Displayport where applicable. It's nice to not be limited to a single VGA, DVI, or HDMI out put on my MBP. Displayport is a far better interface than any of those in its capabilities and until now, could easily work with them all. The dongles are a little ridiculous to me, but that's just the minimalist in me talking.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Well even if mDP is not apple's.. I have yet to set it on any non-apple device. All the HD monitors I have seen have HDMI or VGA (VGA is still the easiest to hook up) or even DVI.

Even so, a HDMI port is useful for connecting to a TV too. Apple surely can squeeze it in, seeing as nearly all new laptops these days have one. My laptop from 2008 has one.

VGA cannot even output resolutions of true HD. I, along with many other macbook owners I'm sure, would rather not be limited to HDMI.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Call them "Unlicensed Adapter cables that work - at your own risk".

There is clearly a demand for the cables, and the seem to work.
Just bring it into the standard and collect your 5 cents

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
and the point of this article is?....I'm waiting.

MR might as well start reporting on the other 9000 unlicensed products sold around the globe every day.

Must be a terribly slow news day for an Apple-fan website to post stories about an HDMI specification. What's next?...a story about a puppy that saved a kitten from an extremely hot AppleTV?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Both Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt connect to VGA and HDMI projectors (and TVs, monitors, you name it).

Thunderbolt also does one or two additional things as well ;)

If you question why Apple adopts new technology first, while projector-makers adopt them last... well, I think the reverse would be much weirder! Without Apple adopting new technology early, everything from WiFi to USB would have been delayed market-wide. Whereas projector-makers desire maximum compatibility with the oldest devices. Makes good sense in a conference room where you don’t know who might present!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Plenty of monitors have the full DisplayPort, and mDP to DP cables are quite common.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

What year are you living in?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&SrchInDesc=displayport&Page=1&PageSize=20

In 2011, there are a lot of DisplayPort products on the market. Video card manufacturers especially love miniDisplayPort, due to its high bandwidth and small port size.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

OMG that is one of the most retarded things I've read on here. For it to be "true" HDMI it has to be HDMI on both ends? omfg what the **** crawled up the licensers ASS

mac9000

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Another reason I don't use HDMI. These people are retards.
It sucks anyway. I always have some kind of video problem with HDMI such as blue-tinted video or messed up quality.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Most hotels have flat screen LCD TVs these days, and there is usually a aux HDMI input easily accessible on the side for watching missed TV shows via Hulu Plus and a notebook or iPad. Having a HDMI port on the computer end would mean just carrying a thin, lightweight cable to connect the two, much as a mDP-to-HDMI cable does as well.

Things start to get ugly and bulky when you have to pack the cable AND an adapter with big plastic connector blocks on the ends.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Plenty of monitors have the full DisplayPort, and mDP to DP cables are quite common.

and the point of this article is?....I'm waiting.

MR might as well start reporting on the other 9000 unlicensed products sold around the globe every day.

Must be a terribly slow news day for an Apple-fan website to post stories about an HDMI specification. What's next?...a story about a puppy that saved a kitten from an extremely hot AppleTV?
Page clicks. They will publish whatever gets the most page clicks.

It's funny they are in a race to the bottom of the barrel. Ie. Less quality and more page clicks (their form of marketshare). Where as the company they report about (mostly) does the exact opposite. Maybe they should follow Apple's example and produce more quality (writing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.