Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
trying to transfer about 10k songs to my computer not my mac from my ipod classic. I have searched google and see so many answers but nothing solid please help this is my whole collection thank you.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
If you don't have a mac, that might be slightly difficult to do, since Senuti is the program for mac. However, I remember a long time ago (iPod mini era), that I was able to access the iPod like a removable drive and copy all the music from the iPod to the computer.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
yeah i can do it on my mac just fine, but my desktop is a pc and i need to transfer the music there as well.

anyone please help.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting thread, and I have to report that I have a similar problem, but with a Mac; my HD on my MBP very unusually died a while ago (it has since been replaced along with the battery which had also expired; I had Applecare so repairs were not a problem). What was and is a problem is that my iTunes library has vanished as well. My two iPods - a 80GB classic and a 64GB Touch contain my iTunes library.

So, fellow MR denizens, what solutions exist, or how can I reconstitute my iTunes library in my MBA? Any help, advice or suggestions deeply appreciated.

Cheers

quizzi

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
I remember a long time ago (iPod mini era), that I was able to access the iPod like a removable drive and copy all the music from the iPod to the computer.

I believe you mean by doing this? :)

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-move-music-from-your-ipod-to-your-pc-in-5-easy-steps/

This is one of the ways you can transfer music from your iPod to your computer. However, note that you may lose some data as I recall I lost about 100-200 songs when I attempted this method.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
yeah i can do it on my mac just fine, but my desktop is a pc and i need to transfer the music there as well.

anyone please help.

Transfer iPod music to Mac and copy the music to your pc via external harddrive and reconstitute your library from there.

Interesting thread, and I have to report that I have a similar problem, but with a Mac; my HD on my MBP very unusually died a while ago (it has since been replaced along with the battery which had also expired; I had Applecare so repairs were not a problem). What was and is a problem is that my iTunes library has vanished as well. My two iPods - a 80GB classic and a 64GB Touch contain my iTunes library.

So, fellow MR denizens, what solutions exist, or how can I reconstitute my iTunes library in my MBA? Any help, advice or suggestions deeply appreciated.

Cheers

Transfer iPod music to Mac and copy the music to your pc via external harddrive and reconstitute your library from there.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-move-music-from-your-ipod-to-your-pc-in-5-easy-steps/

This is one of the ways you can transfer music from your iPod to your computer. However, note that you may lose some data as I recall I lost about 100-200 songs when I attempted this method.

I guess, but I ripped many of my friends' iPods without data loss.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007

I'm trying to recover a bunch of music that I have on my 4th generation iPod, without reripping all the CDs. I can't use Senuti because I'm on OS10.4 and when I try and follow these directions I get a "Do you want to format this drive" message from a Windows machine.

Any thoughts?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Transfer iPod music to Mac.....

Well, yes, that's my problem. I no longer have a PC and it was the HD of my Mac (MBP) that died taking its memories with it. I have a newish MBA but would like to be able to transfer the music library from either of my two iPods to the MBA. Suggestions would be more than welcome - they would be exceptionally gratefully received.

In any case, thank you for addressing what you thought my problem was......

Cheers

MarjeIlean

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
transfering music to computer

I had the nano but yesterday I got the iPhone 3G S. I don't know how to transfer my music from my computer to my new iPhone.

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
If you have Windows, the process is fairly simple and requires no software.

1. Open your My Computer directory.
  2. Double click on your iPod.
  3. Go to Tools > Folder Options > View.
  4. In the Advanced Settings list, under Hidden files and folders, check the radio button for Show hidden files and folders. Then click OK.
  5. Go to iPod_Control > Music. You'll see the iPod's music organized randomly into a bunch of folders. Copy those into your music directory.
  6. Although the filenames of the songs will be scrambled, their ID3 tags will be intact, so you'll be able to navigate the songs as usual on your computer or another iPod.
  7. To unscramble the filenames:
  8. In iTunes, go to Edit>Preferences. b. Under the Advanced tab, under the General "sub-tab", select the local folder where you have copied the music from your iPod (by clicking Change...) c. Check the box "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and click OK. d. If you haven't done so already, add all the recently copied music to you iTunes library. e. The process might take a few minutes, and might require you to close and re-open iTunes to even get it started, but when it's done, you'll have a nicely sorted folder structure.

I've done this on Windows XP with an iPod Classic on multiple occasions. As for macs, the process is more difficult, because you can't easily view the hidden files, and I could never figure it out. You may want to download software in that case.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.getsharepod.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.