Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_box.jpg
DigiTimes reports that Apple is planning to bring on a second manufacturing partner for the iPad as part of the rollout of the updated models rumored for release later this year.
Apple reportedly plans to add a second manufacturer for iPad 3 tablet PCs in addition to Foxconn Electronics with Taiwan-based Quanta Computer and [Pegatron] Technology being indicated as the potential contenders for the possible orders, according to industry sources in Taiwan.

[Pegatron], which reportedly have landed iPhone 5 orders from Apple, stands a better chance of winning the iPad 3 orders, the sources noted.
Both Pegatron and Quanta are existing manufacturing partners for Apple, with Pegatron being responsible for CDMA iPhone 4 production while Quanta is a long-time partner for Mac production.

The report notes that Apple's decision to add a new manufacturer for the iPad is due in significant part to the explosion at Foxconn's new production plant in Chengdu that killed three workers and saw the company temporarily halt work in all of its polishing shops as it investigated the incident. That series of events reportedly convinced Apple of the need to diversify its manufacturing partnerships in order to minimize risk.

Article Link: Apple Adding Second Manufacturer for Forthcoming iPad Update?

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I wonder if this is linked to the rumours of an iPad factory in Brazil from a while ago.

Elaborate?

And right on Apple for branching out to get better reliability and for distancing themselves from a manufacturer that evidently didn't have the best safety practices in place, though ***** can happen anywhere, I think it'd be good for Apple to stick w/ reputably better quality manufacturers (not that Foxconn didn't produce quality to Apple's standards, but in the long run other/more reputable partners may be better).

Who knows? Kind of interested too to see if Apple will move away from Foxconn entirely, though, again, as it seems Foxconn has made some excellent quality products for Apple.

Zimmer62943

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
come on guys, do you REALLY think there is going to be another ipad released this year? these rumours should stop just like that old iphone mini one that has been going since iphone was first announced... so where is it??
There will be NO ipad 2.5, 2S, HD, 3 etc this year.

Day48

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
So is it "iPad 3" or the previous rumor "iPad 'HD' or 'Pro'" To many different rumors. No body knows anything. I doubt its this year...

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
While I certainly agree they shouldn't call it "iPad 3," I do believe it's very possible an iPad 2+, iPad 2 HD, iPad 2 Pro or whatever could come out this Fall. It would sell like hotcakes and they could definitely charge more for it.

There's a Macbook and a Macbook Pro.. hell the iPod line has the nano, classic, touch, etc. Why not have multiple versions of iPads too?

EDIT: Also, considering the graphics prowess of the A5 chip, I can only imagine they wanted to put a higher res screen on the iPad 2 and just couldn't get the screen worked out in time. They may be introducing this iPad 2+ model because they're simply ready with the tech now.

Last edited:

Jim Boonie

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
"iPad HD". That is so bizarre. If this is true it's because the only thing iPad is lagging behind in is the screen res. I have an iPad 2, but I will treat this as a, "3GS" and wait for a fully realized iPad 3 or 4. My iPad just sits on my coffee table for guests to doodle around on. I would imagine most of us have a Macbook Pro as well to fill that, "Prosumer" void.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
"iPad HD". That is so bizarre. If this is true it's because the only thing iPad is lagging behind in is the screen res. I have an iPad 2, but I will treat this as a, "3GS" and wait for a fully realized iPad 3 or 4. My iPad just sits on my coffee table for guests to doodle around on. I would imagine most of us have a Macbook Pro as well to fill that, "Prosumer" void.

I love how just because the iPad is not a retina screen "it's lagging". For goodness sake, it's as good as or better 90% of the laptops on the market. It's not lagging that much unless you compare to the iPhone 4.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love a HD screen for the iPad, but I don't see what's so horrible about the current screen.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
I love how just because the iPad is not a retina screen "it's lagging". For goodness sake, it's as good as or better 90% of the laptops on the market. It's not lagging that much unless you compare to the iPhone 4.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love a HD screen for the iPad, but I don't see what's so horrible about the current screen.

Well it's been enough for me to hold out on an iPad. Can't wait to finally get one with awesome resolution like I had been waiting for.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder if one of the other manufacturing companies sabotaged Foxconn and caused the explosion, just so that they'd be able to get an Apple contract?

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I'm farting screens out every hour for iPad 4. :D

I HIGHLY doubt there will be another iPad this year. They are hardly able to make iPad 2 enough for the consumer market. :|

It depends on the country. In here (Portugal) there are plenty of ipads in stock everywhere. Even the ipad 1 is still for sale.

Relying in one manufacturer is asking for trouble anyway, like samsung.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
It depends on the country. In here (Portugal) there are plenty of ipads in stock everywhere. Even the ipad 1 is still for sale.

Relying in one manufacturer is asking for trouble anyway, like samsung.
Yah but arent you like us here in Ireland, flat broke and cant afford luxuries?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
come on guys, do you REALLY think there is going to be another ipad released this year? these rumours should stop just like that old iphone mini one that has been going since iphone was first announced... so where is it??
There will be NO ipad 2.5, 2S, HD, 3 etc this year.

Why is it so unbelievable that another version of the iPad 2 could be released? It's true that iPads are selling very well but the competition is really heating up. There is a major new Android tablet every month and they are getting cheaper.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Well it's been enough for me to hold out on an iPad. Can't wait to finally get one with awesome resolution like I had been waiting for.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love a retina display too. In fact, my daughter may get my iPad 2 so I can get a new HD version. :D I just don't think the current screen is bad or "lagging". It's in line with 90%+ of screens out there.

On another note... it's amazing how Apple continues to ramp up production. They must have some "secret sauce" in the works for the fall and next year. I'm hoping for an Apple TV update for the holidays. :D

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Don't get me wrong... I'd love a retina display too. In fact, my daughter may get my iPad 2 so I can get a new HD version. :D I just don't think the current screen is bad or "lagging". It's in line with 90%+ of screens out there.

On another note... it's amazing how Apple continues to ramp up production. They must have some "secret sauce" in the works for the fall and next year. I'm hoping for an Apple TV update for the holidays. :D

Agree but the problem is Apple spoiled us with the "retina" display on the iPhone. I notice a HUGE difference in text between the two. It was enough for me to hold off and be patient.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
So is it "iPad 3" or the previous rumor "iPad 'HD' or 'Pro'" To many different rumors. No body knows anything. I doubt its this year...

Exactly! MR can't decide whether which iPad rumor to stoke here, either.

Oh wait, maybe the company trying for these contracts will indeed have their lines up and running for the "forthcoming" iPad update this fall. These rumors are entirely implausible— just go buy an iPad 2 and shut the **** up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.