Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the latest iOS 5 beta just released today, Apple has activated the new "Assistive Touch" features for the iPad. The Assistive Touch settings were in place in iOS's accessibility settings in previous betas, but is only now active. The new features are meant to provide additional interactivity for those who might have trouble using the traditional gestures and buttons on the iPad.

The new settings allow users to activate a menu overlay on the iPad with by pressing on a designated corner. The menu allows one-tap access to all of the iPad's functions including rotation, shaking, volume changes and even gestures. Known gestures such as pinch and swipe can be recalled by a tap, and custom gestures can even be recorded and played back on command.

Article Link: Apple Activates Assistive Touch in iOS 5 Beta 3

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I have no problems with these gestures, but in some instances I think I could use a few of this instead of the gestures. Perhaps could be more handy. Will have to see when it lands.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I thought the people who needed this type of assistance had problems but then I read about these poor people going without widgets. It's terrible.

Do you guys have a charity I could donate to or something?

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Ugh, I don't understand why i can't update over the air for this lol

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I thought the people who needed this type of assistance had problems but then I read about these poor people going without widgets. It's terrible.

Do you guys have a charity I could donate to or something?

Yeah, paypal donation to the charity for "Not Funny People" ....

RonWayne

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
Very helpful for people with disabilities, but this is gonna be killer even for some games where some particular gestures combo are involved to play. I already see myself doing monster scores at TouchGrind BMX :)

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
This would be handy for when some of the physical buttons start to eventually malfunction from a fall or moisture.
Will the iPhone have similar features?

stupidm4n

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
This would be handy for when some of the physical buttons start to eventually malfunction from a fall or moisture.

It works on iPhone just tried it it's in settings/ accessibility just seems to take a while for the dot to show up.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
What are some of the shortcuts you can add? Wifi on/off? Cell data on/off? etc...

Is selecting the corner anything like hot corners on OS X? That is awful.

Kritzelei

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
This'll be a good addition for many people. :) I wonder if you'll be able to open specific apps with custom gestures.

iCrizzo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Burlington, VT
Another screenshot

IMG_0011.PNG

IMG_0014.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC

Physical buttons? Whatever do you mean?

Oh you mean the home button that stops working about 9 months after getting your iPhone 4? :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.