Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I repeat, these are running on MacOSX Leopard, not Windows via Bootcamp.

• Left 4 Dead
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Trine
  • Braid
  • Portal 2
  • Team Fortress 2

Thanks.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You mean Snow Leopard, right? Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 require it.

Braid and Trine have controller support on the Mac, so I assume it would work. If you play the other games online with a controller your teammates will murder you.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
With GamePad Companion from the Appstore they all do. Got both L4Ds going and Portal setup myself on my iMac. Even have Torchlight going too.

Wirelessly at that.

Was well worth the 8$.

Last edited:

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
You mean Snow Leopard, right? Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 require it.

Braid and Trine have controller support on the Mac, so I assume it would work. If you play the other games online with a controller your teammates will murder you.

Really? So, it's a bad idea to play Left 4 Dead or Portal 2 with a controller? Seriously, now... why?

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
With GamePad Companion from the Appstore they all do. Got both L4Ds going and Portal setup myself on my iMac. Even have Torchlight going too.

Wirelessly at that.

Was well worth the 8$.

What is Torchlight?

Also, how do you find playing L4D 1 & 2 a well as Portal 2 via a PS3 controller?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What is Torchlight?

Torchlight is an action RPG similar to Diablo II (made by many of the same developers.)

Really? So, it's a bad idea to play Left 4 Dead or Portal 2 with a controller? Seriously, now... why?

Because a keyboard and mouse is far more accurate. You will only hinder your team. Since Portal 2 is largely single player, and a puzzle game, it doesn't matter so much.

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Torchlight is an action RPG similar to Diablo II (made by many of the same developers.)

Because a keyboard and mouse is far more accurate. You will only hinder your team. Since Portal 2 is largely single player, and a puzzle game, it doesn't matter so much.

Hm. You're saying it is not at all possible to attain a degree of accuracy with a PS3 controller that is commensurate with the degree of accuracy afforded by a mouse and keyboard?

Since the GamePad Companion app is only $7.99, I might as well purchase it and see what feels most comfortable...

Also, FYI, despite everyone laughing at the very notion of using a trackpad for gaming, I find it works wonderfully. I've been using the trackpad and keyboard to play Team Fortress 2 and it grants a certain comfort and ease that I don't get with a keyboard... moving the mouse around doesn't feel as great or effective as simply moving my fingers about on the trackpad.

I'll see if the PS3 controller is an improvement, though.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Yeah, you lose SO much accuracy with a controller, it's next to impossible to aim well. Remember that console games have a lot of auto aim, whereas PC's have none too.

And he is right, it is impossible to get as good accuracy with a controller. Microsoft once tested it, they got average PC players to play against pro xbox players. The xbox players got absolutely smashed.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hm. You're saying it is not at all possible to attain a degree of accuracy with a PS3 controller that is commensurate with the degree of accuracy afforded by a mouse and keyboard?

Since the GamePad Companion app is only $7.99, I might as well purchase it and see what feels most comfortable...

Also, FYI, despite everyone laughing at the very notion of using a trackpad for gaming, I find it works wonderfully. I've been using the trackpad and keyboard to play Team Fortress 2 and it grants a certain comfort and ease that I don't get with a keyboard... moving the mouse around doesn't feel as great or effective as simply moving my fingers about on the trackpad.

I'll see if the PS3 controller is an improvement, though.

Please note that the PS3 gamepad works as a standard gamepad (no drivers needed) in Snow Leopard 10.6 but in Leopard 10.5 the gamepad does not function correctly.

I don't know about the specific games you listed but if they support gamepads in the standard manner then they should all work fine in 10.6 but as I said in 10.5 I think you will have trouble as the PS3 support is not complete.

Edwin

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
If you are not playing the games competitively then there is no need to go down the kayboard and mouse route.

I play on my laptop on the sofa with no real space for a mouse, a gamepad is way comfier and I don't get hand cramps from holding the mouse either.

You will not be as accurate, but you can still compete. L4D Portal and Team Fortress are fine, Counter Strike you will get owned using a controller by KB and mouse players.

As long as you are not looking to be top of the scoreboard every time a gamepad is more than fine.

That being said I still can't get mine to work with TF2 on OSX, only in windows does it seem to work for me.

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Please note that the PS3 gamepad works as a standard gamepad (no drivers needed) in Snow Leopard 10.6 but in Leopard 10.5 the gamepad does not function correctly.

I don't know about the specific games you listed but if they support gamepads in the standard manner then they should all work fine in 10.6 but as I said in 10.5 I think you will have trouble as the PS3 support is not complete.

Edwin

I have Snow Leopard 10.6. So, do I need to buy the GamePad Companion app still or...?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I have Snow Leopard 10.6. So, do I need to buy the GamePad Companion app still or...?

If the game supports gamepads then no, I usually avoid Gamepad companion unless the game has no pad support. If the game has pad support it is better to use the build in support.

Edwin

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
If the game supports gamepads then no, I usually avoid Gamepad companion unless the game has no pad support. If the game has pad support it is better to use the build in support.

Edwin

I see. That returns me to my original question, then. Do any of the games listed in the first post of this thread have built-in pad support?

ibc99

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012

Wirelessly at that.

Was well worth the 8$.

please please PLEASE let me know what your Gamepad Companion layout is for torchlight. In particular the movement. can't seem to get the joystick to function as movement.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
please please PLEASE let me know what your Gamepad Companion layout is for torchlight. In particular the movement. can't seem to get the joystick to function as movement.

I don't have it setup as movement but have a trigger button setup as mouse click to move. So the joystick moves the mouse and use the trigger to click to move.

Will double check when I get home.

ibc99

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I don't have it setup as movement but have a trigger button setup as mouse click to move. So the joystick moves the mouse and use the trigger to click to move.

Will double check when I get home.

i would greatly appreciate it. i can't seem to get the controller to control the mouse...it just flies off toward the corner as soon as i turn it on.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
i would greatly appreciate it. i can't seem to get the controller to control the mouse...it just flies off toward the corner as soon as i turn it on.

I have the left analog set for up down to y axis mouse up/down
for left and right push x axis set to right/left

I have the left analog set for up down to z-rotation multiple keys j q
And right and left push to z-axis multiple buttons s p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.