Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I have noticed that recently when I visit some websites, my facebook photo pops up on those sites. It looks like I could put comments there. What is that all about? How can those websites know the ID of the visitors? Is there anyway to stop this? Is there a setting under Mac OS to stop these people from gathering visitor's information? I consider it an invasion of privacy. Thanks.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
The first thing you should check is what your fb settings are. If you turn off all platform apps, websites should not get that immediate access.

I don't know if there additionally is a way to do something in os x - this seems like a facebook issue, not apple...

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The first thing you should check is what your fb settings are. If you turn off all platform apps, websites should not get that immediate access.

I don't know if there additionally is a way to do something in os x - this seems like a facebook issue, not apple...

I found four platform apps listed. I have no idea what they are and removed them. Thank you very much.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Hello. I have noticed that recently when I visit some websites, my facebook photo pops up on those sites. It looks like I could put comments there. What is that all about? How can those websites know the ID of the visitors? Is there anyway to stop this? Is there a setting under Mac OS to stop these people from gathering visitor's information? I consider it an invasion of privacy. Thanks.

wow, first time I have ever heard of this ... Facebook is a privacy nightmare

who knows what FB will do next ... just plain creepy

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I think it would be nice if Mac OS has a feature to turn off all these unwanted, unknown information gathering apps.

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
That's just the Facebook Connect plugin some websites have to make it easier to comment or share the websites content. It's mostly harmless, but if you want to block it use Ghostery, or even better, Noscript and Ghostery together. Be aware that Noscript takes patience and knowledge to get it working the way you want.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I found four platform apps listed. I have no idea what they are and removed them. Thank you very much.

Hello. Even I removed those platform apps listed, I still find my photo and name appearing under the Comments section of websites such as ehow.com.
Anybody knows how to completely disable this?

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Hello. Even I removed those platform apps listed, I still find my photo and name appearing under the Comments section of websites such as ehow.com.
Anybody knows how to completely disable this?

I don't believe your info is passed from FB to the websites. It's coming to your computer from FB directly (that's my understanding, anyway). Sign out of Facebook when you're not using it and it won't have anything to show you?

Ronald Williams

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
this is happening because you are visiting other sites while being logged into facebook. These websites have set up facebook comment plugin on them like many blogs are doing these days. These are just to confirm the identity of the person who is commenting on the posts. If you don't want to see yourself in this way then simply log out of facebook when browsing other sites or use another web browser in parallel.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.