Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
As someone who doesn't normally buy first generation Apple 'i' products (I waited for the iPhone 3g s and I'm awaiting for the iPad 3); I cannot wait for the next iteration of Apple TV.

I'm hoping the next version has support for 1080p.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
2 rumors associated with :apple:TV in one week still far from the Fall iDevice refresh. Is that some kind of record for this "hobby"?

Personally, glad to see the interest. I think this hobby has massive potential if Apple would just include a few things long-since overdue. Maybe this year?

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Does anyone know if you can use 1 keyboard on 2 devices with multiple dongles? Like if I want to use my logitech on my iMac and also have a usb dongle plugged into an apple tv will it work on both?

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
My Mac Mini is about to get moved into the liviing room as an expensive Apple TV. IMHO, my 1-yr old Mini is too underpowered for much else than web browsing and playing media. It will be nice to have a networked computer with a web browser connected to the big screen.

Nyalotha

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
Please don't bite my head off as I don't follow Apple TV too much /haven't before.

Is this a rumour about a new Apple TV 'thing' coming out? Or is this the current 99$ apple store Apple TV, getting an update DUE TO ios5?

like its still the ipad 1, getting ios 5? or is the current apple tv the 2? or.... :/

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
If they do allow apps for it then I'm hoping that the next AppleTV has an HDMI in port as well as HDMI out, so that apps can overlay elements on the TV picture.

This would be useful for simple things like "you have mail/facebook/twitter" as well as more complex functions. How about an IMDB app with built-in face recognition?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I haven't tried it but you can probably connect the Apple wireless keyboard to the Apple TV via an iPhone and the Remote app. Pair the keyboard to your iPhone, then run the Remote app (it lets you use its virtual keyboard so I assume it would then use the paired physical keyboard?) I think you really would have to want to type a lot to make it worth it.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I wonder if they could add an OnLive client in there.

OnLive runs on iPad 1, so I'm sure Apple TV 2 could handle it. Then you could hook up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Ideally, of course, you should be able to plug in a wireless Xbox 360 controller (or a Logitech equivalent), but ATV2 doesn't have a full-size USB port. Micro-USB to regular female USB cable? Nah, not gonna happen (officially, anyway). ;/

macthetiger85

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please don't bite my head off as I don't follow Apple TV too much /haven't before.

Is this a rumour about a new Apple TV 'thing' coming out? Or is this the current 99$ apple store Apple TV, getting an update DUE TO ios5?

like its still the ipad 1, getting ios 5? or is the current apple tv the 2? or.... :/

This is about the set top box: Apple TV being updated with the other iOS devices to iOS 5. The reason it's apple TV 2 is the aluminum/plastic apple tv with hard drive was considered their first run at apple tv. I have apple tv2 and love it. All I want is espn3 on it and I'd be happy.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009

The current model getting possible added functionality due to iOS 5.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
I didn't know it had BT - very cool, keyboard would be great with somesort of iOS messaging or email funtion on it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If they do allow apps for it then I'm hoping that the next AppleTV has an HDMI in port as well as HDMI out, so that apps can overlay elements on the TV picture. This would be useful for simple things like "you have mail/facebook/twitter" as well as more complex functions. How about an IMDB app with built-in face recognition?

No, apps could lay imagery on top of pictures or video without having HDMI in, much like your iDevice can have pop up notifications from other apps multitasking in the background. That's just a software thing- no special (new) hardware required.

People who want HDMI-in are wanting to hook cables from other hardware to the :apple:TV or have a pass-through option rather than dealing with a separate HDMI switch. They might be hoping such an :apple:TV could record video from other sources (like a DVR) and similar. Or they might be out of HDMI ports on their TV or receiver and desire pass through options rather than having to buy a separate switch or other such new hardware.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Does anyone know if you can use 1 keyboard on 2 devices with multiple dongles? Like if I want to use my logitech on my iMac and also have a usb dongle plugged into an apple tv will it work on both?

Your iMac and the AppleTV2 both have BT built-in. I'm not really sure what your asking, but neither need a USB dongle for anything to do with BT. There is no USB HOST port on an AppleTV2. There is a USB endpoint to allow it to allow the firmware to be re-flashed by plugging it into a USB port on a computer. You can not plug a USB device into that port. If you paired an actual BT keyboard with two different BT hosts the keyboard would only work for one device at a time. I'm not 100% sure the selection, but I believe the device will prefer the first device it paired to, but fail-over to the next device if the first is unavailable.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
My Mac Mini is about to get moved into the liviing room as an expensive Apple TV. IMHO, my 1-yr old Mini is too underpowered for much else than web browsing and playing media. It will be nice to have a networked computer with a web browser connected to the big screen.

-Add Plex series 9 to your mac mini in the living room (witch also works as a server for all your "i devices" to stream movies to them ... you can now play any .AVI files thru the Mac mini)

-Add Boxee to your mac mini ... does much of what Plex does .. but also has the ability to stream TV shows straight from the internet .. and has a much better selection of Apps to watch streaming from websites like Justin.TV

-Add Hulu Desktop ... need I say more

-And then add remote buddy software: http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/
This software will let you control and start Plex, Boxee, Hulu Desktop all from your mac mini controller. No need for a mouse or keyboard in the living room.

Boom you got the best Media Player for your living room :)

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
I want to pair my phone as well... when I'm across the room I'd like to see a notification along the top indicating who is calling, texting, or emailing me before I walk across the room to check. On emails, could even open it within a smaller window (think picture in picture) and reply while still keeping my content on the screen.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
Could someone educate me about Blue Tooth? What is its range? Is it fast enough for game controllers?

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
a $100 fully functional iOS/ basic computer on an existing piece of hardware? With awesome connectivity to the most popular PC music player/ smartphone/ tablet/ iTouch, access to a wide range of existing application code? FOR $100 DOLLARS!?

I'm sorry, but that would be absolutely genius- we truly are in the Post PC era.

Yeah... except the apple tv kind of requires one to do anything. Don't get too ahead of yourself here.

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
With fat fingers and eye strain, an iPhone using the Remote app is pretty challenging too.

Ummmm, so how about an iPad with the Remote app?

Before you respond, let me do it for you: "An iPad's too bulky for a remote control." I can read minds :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.