Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillydogg28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I am building an iphone app for a company that would like to have subscribers sign up through the application and enter their credit card information. I know that in order to do one time purchases it has to go through in app purchases, but what about collecting the credit card info? how can i do that?

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I don't think you'll be allowed to take credit card numbers through the app (and as a customer of the app store, I'm not sure I'd want you to!) If you support in-app purchase, apple will handle all this for you, and just send you a payment at the end of the month, but they'll take 30% for the service.

Look carefully at what Lodsys are up to before going down this route anyway - they're suing developers who implement in-app purchase for patent infringement. Take a good look at that before deciding what to do/how to do it (and if you're doing this for them as a contract, check the contract to see who is liable if anyone gets sued for infringement!)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I am building an iphone app for a company that would like to have subscribers sign up through the application and enter their credit card information. I know that in order to do one time purchases it has to go through in app purchases, but what about collecting the credit card info? how can i do that?

The In App Purchase API is setup so that the user does not need to enter their credit card info from within your app. It will use the credit card associated with their Apple ID account.

3lfk1ng

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Look carefully at what Lodsys are up to before going down this route anyway - they're suing developers who implement in-app purchase for patent infringement.

Don't even bother worrying about Lodsys. They are nothing but insignificant patent trolls who quickly got slammed by Apple so they moved on to Android hoping that people will give in. They have no grounds to target any developers, they might as well be a phishing scam at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.