Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Maybe I'm trying to manage my own expectations, but I can think of one reason Apple would pre-announce a specific date for Lion: Media Coverage.

I don't expect Apple to announce the release date by much more than a week. That would give the media a chance to publicize the event. I

'd even go so far as to say that a surprisingly large number of Apple users have no idea that Lion is coming out this month, much less at all. So the media hype is pretty much essential to get the word out.

I can understand the idea that Apple would want to release this without a lot of publicity to ease the strain on the App Store...but seriously - have you ever known Apple to do a silent release of an operating system? Much less one that the rumors say they are really excited about internally?

Furthermore, I don't think Apple would have announced that Lion will be available on the Mac App Store without having a contingency plan to account for the additional server load. They know that would result in some very negative publicity.*

I'm not expecting Lion tomorrow. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement of a release date tomorrow - that could account for the store reset that is allegedly occurring tonight.

*I'm certainly not saying that there won't be problems. I can easily see a statement from Apple: "We underestimated the demand..."

Oh - and the App Store is down for me, too.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I can understand the idea that Apple would want to release this without a lot of publicity to ease the strain on the App Store...but seriously - have you ever known Apple to do a silent release of an operating system? Much less one that the rumors say they are really excited about internally?

Apple is all about getting ready for the Product and launching it on the same day ... how many apple events you say it said shipping today... usually that get the big applause

Announcement tomorrow and availability tomorrow, after all it is download from Mac App Store. There is no need for announcement and waiting.

IMHO, Lion is not big different from Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard also did not get big splash announcement and count down If I remember correctly.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
was fine earlier today, now i can't update my apps on the phone via itunes > store - this is near amsterdam, NL. just reporting :)

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I hope the new (macbooks, airs, minis, and pros) are released tommorow:D
I for now HATE lion:eek:
I LOVE :apple::D

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
was fine earlier today, now i can't update my apps on the phone via itunes > store - this is near amsterdam, NL. just reporting :)
I also can't do anything:eek:
I hope tommorow everything will be ready:D

EDIT: Looks like Wednesday will NOT be the launch of anything!

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Could it be because of all the people accessing the mac app store thinking the release is tomorrow?

no, the mac appstore wont go down because of that lol, apple servers are beyond huge and they can support many many users.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Finally managed to purchase that book just now.... it's downloading to my MacBookPro... took a long time but it's primetime DSL = slow.

I mean really slow. 312 bits per second, folks. Now 40 bits.... could take an hour for the last 5 bytes.... OK, done!!

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
App store is intermittent here in western North Carolina, and I'm not far from the new data center! :apple:

4vegasfun

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Intermittently available in Michigan ...

Up @ 23:15, Down @ 23:25, back Up @ 23:30 ... EST

Hoping for Lion by Thursday ... DEARLY HOPING for New Macbook Airs Thursday.

Back DOWN again @ 23:45

I DID sign up for email notification from Apple when Lion is available for download at: http://www.apple.com/macosx/notify-me/

Last edited:

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Hopefully it isn't like this until Lion is released, as this will be quite annoying. Now if they plan on releasing the Lion soon, I will let it slide. I don't feel like having the App stores up and down for the next couple of days while Apple works on whatever they are doing.

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Something's coming up for sure, either Lion or the NC Data centre going live? Probably tomorrow. With updates about the problem in this thread coming from around the world something big is happening at Apple tonight.

My iLife software update is downloading at 25-125KB sec. I always get Apple downloads at 2-5MB sec., and it's certainly not an ISP problem. App Store has been on and off for the past few hours.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Wow, there's a lot of speculation isn't there! Very exciting stuff. Have to admit, I got excited a few pages back, but it turned out it was some stupid idiot tricking us by posting a photo from Apples' site, not their own Mac and then the link was a rick-roll. Seriously, got anything better to do? :rolleyes:

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Wow, there's a lot of speculation isn't there! Very exciting stuff. Have to admit, I got excited a few pages back, but it turned out it was some stupid idiot tricking us by posting a photo from Apples' site, not their own Mac and then the link was a rick-roll. Seriously, got anything better to do? :rolleyes:

Sure... and that same idiot has sabotaged my connection to Apple's servers! Right.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
12 AM ET. Just passed. next possible time of release (App Store works fine for me now, no more errors)?

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2011
The App Store was working for me, but for the last 10 minutes it's been dead. I've been reloading and reloading, and it keeps saying I can't connect. I'm getting antsy now. I'm excited for Lion.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
The Mac App Store is down for me as well. It just cycles and doesn't connect, though I haven't received a message saying it cannot connect. That's probably because I'm not willing to wait five minutes for that message. =P

BBQXXX

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Colorado
Its down for me to. Well at least the featured page is. The top charts works but not purchased. Its all kinda intermittent...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.