Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is interesting. Last night I had emails from apple saying my credit card details had been changed and that items had been purchased from a new device. So I logged in to iTunes to find pre paid credit gone and an app downloaded called texus holdem as well as in in app purchase had been made. So went to go change my password to notice that my credit card details had been removed!! - all without me knowing.

I really hope this isn't some kind of attack but this has coinsided very well with what happened to me last night (gmt 20.30 ish)

Will be cancelling my card today just as precaution and inresponce to reading this post

Hmmm mm. A newbie who has joined specifically to spread fear about credit card theft.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Could be a server stress test and those areas are the ones proved to need upgrades. Just a thought.

Agree on this speculation. I think Apple was doing some load testing in anticipation of the flood they'll get for Lion and found some problems.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
I don't know why people keep claiming that it's down due to the release of Lion. Believe it or not, Lion isn't that big (file size) and Apple will probably just place it on the App Store like a normal app. I don't know why they would have to do anything fancy in order to put it on. The App Store is still going to work with Snow Leopard, but if this maintenance has to do with COMPATIBILITY with Lion, then that's an excuse. Not because Lion is going to launch soon. And the App Store works perfectly with Lion anyway, so it probably has nothing to do with Lion.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
My credit on my account seems to have all of a sudden changed from £45 to about 54p! Anyone else having any trouble like this, I have also changed my password

Curious. Another newbie claiming credit card trouble. Looks like more trolls than real posters on macrumors these days.

IT-Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Netherlands
Considering this article from InformationWeek earlier this week there's a lot at stake for Apple:

Beneath the all-digital release, there's a bigger goal, sources told BYTE. The all-digital launch of the 6GB Lion downoad to a giant, broad base of users is really designed to see how well Apple will deliver its even more ambitious iCloud service to a new generation of multi-touch, non-optical drive Macs and notebooks. Apple plans to debut them in August and ship September, sources say.

Digital delivery -- and the Maiden facility is key to this -- must work well for Apple to declare a success for Lion and continue along with its more ambitious plans later.

The Maiden, NC facility won't operate alone, sources say. For OS X Lion, Maiden will operate in concert with Apple's second-largest facility, the 110,000 sq. foot center in Newark, CA, its Cupertino, CA facility and likely those of third-party partners such as Akamai, sources say.
Apple needs to find out in a large scale test, and Lion is that test, if iCloud services really will work the way people will expect on current devices and the new Macs and notebooks coming in September, sources tell BYTE.

Source: InformationWeek

Thus, it would be very plausible to perform extensive maintenance. Apple would not necessarily have to move content over to other farms, but they would want to spread the load as much as possible, perhaps per region.

mark1882

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
It relates to app store credit voucher

Someone used mine to get over £45 worth of apps, only got and activated the voucher on Sunday 10th

Have reset my password and account and requested that Apple reimburse me

People should not have a problem on this forum with people explaining problems they have

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
Agree on this speculation. I think Apple was doing some load testing in anticipation of the flood they'll get for Lion and found some problems.

If this is the case hopefully it will not delay the Lion release date. With not announcing an exact date Apple has given themselves flexibility in when they release it, if they encounter problems it would be very easy to delay it by a week or two.:mad:

Stok3

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
im wondering if its an attack. I assume Apple wouldn't go through all this trouble to "prep" the app store for Lion. Couldn't they just publish it like every other app?

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
im wondering if its an attack. I assume Apple wouldn't go through all this trouble to "prep" the app store for Lion. Couldn't they just publish it like every other app?

I was at WWDC, but I don't think I'm breaking any NDA. One of the new features announced is/was the ability to transmit 'delta' updates, i.e. just the changes between old and new versions. Not just for iOS but for apps. So they could be prepping for that.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if lion was suppose to be released tomorrow, will it be delayed because of this?

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
A little hiccup

Perhaps Apple is transitioning files to their new data center. :cool:

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006

mark1882 said:
It relates to app store credit voucher

Someone used mine to get over £45 worth of apps, only got and activated the voucher on Sunday 10th

Have reset my password and account and requested that Apple reimburse me

People should not have a problem on this forum with people explaining problems they have

You joined today to post about stolen credit issues, changing passwords, and to support another newbie's story about same?

dbalone

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
When will all the Apple Stores download Lion? i would think they will have it before the rest of us.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Apple went down on me last night, then came up again... then down.. you get the idea...

Could this be them copying stuff to the new data center (iCloud) and having a little unforeseen issue ?

I very much doubt this has anything to do with iCloud's storage/sync features (I doubt iCloud is all run off of the same set of servers because we've had almost all of the features of iCloud for some time now e.g. mail/address/calendars, iBook syncing).

I could see this having something to do with the mess from yesterday (not sure if it was related but yesterday morning the iTunes App Store would not update any of my apps, it would instead download an old version constantly). So maybe it was maintenance gone wrong and they need to bring parts down to fix it.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
When will all the Apple Stores download Lion? i would think they will have it before the rest of us.
My guess is that the Apple retail stores will be provided copies of Lion on physical media (either discs or more likely a USB thumbdrive) as part of a larger shipment of pre-launch materials related to Lion.

After all, the Genius Bar would probably need some copies of Lion on physical media for repairs, etc. as well as in-house maintenance of display units, adding demo videos, etc.

Remember that retail line employees are typically the last group to learn the details about new products (for fear of leaks). If there is a USB thumbdrive with a copy of OS X Lion in an Apple retail store, it's in the store manager's locked office (or similarly protected space).

Last edited:

iphonepiephone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Hmmm.

Maybe it's the weather?

Could be the position of the moon?

Could be the colour of that rock in my garden, causing it?

Maybe Steve Jobs' shoe colour is affecting it?

Seriously guys, quit with the speculation.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Curious. Another newbie claiming credit card trouble. Looks like more trolls than real posters on macrumors these days.

Can you people just please stop criticizing people like that!:mad:
A person wants to tell the world something, he/she can, just without stupid people going in the way.:)

So please, stop acting like your a troll going in everyone's buisness.:apple:

Plus he/she is a newbie, SO BE RESPECTFUL!:D

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
hmm...wonder if iCloud is going to have issues like this. Apple doesn't need another MobileMe disaster.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Likely a scalability issue

Likely, Apple has found a scalability issue with the way the system was architected. This may have been aggravated/exposed by a DDOS attack, or it could simply be that something has started bottlenecking with regular growth in the system.

It sounds to me like they had to re-engineer some part of the system to get around a bottleneck and it's going to take a big day of emergency maintenance to get the updates in place. Sometimes you just have to get it done before things get worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.