Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While much was made of Microsoft's efforts to reenter the retail store market by going head-to-head with Apple, things have moved rather slowly for the PC software company, which has opened only eleven stores scattered around the United States over the past two years.

microsoft_future_stores.jpg

But Neowin reports that Microsoft today unveiled an acceleration of those plans at its Worldwide Partner Conference, targeting 75 new stores for opening over the next two to three years. The initiative will also include some international stores, mirroring Apple's own recent emphasis on international locations.

Apple has approximately 350 retail store locations and continues to open new stores on a regular basis, meaning that Apple will remain significantly in the lead in terms of total stores by the end of this push from Microsoft, but it is clear that Microsoft is making a significant commitment to the initiative after only dabbling in it for the past two years.

Microsoft has mimicked Apple's retail strategy of trying to create warm and inviting spaces prominently featuring wood surfaces throughout in order to draw in customers to interact with the products on display, while also including an "Answer Desk" very similar to Apple's Genius Bars for support purposes. The company has even worked to strategically place its locations in close proximity to Apple's stores in an attempt to target many of the same customers. And while Microsoft has to rely on hardware from its partners in order to show off its PC offerings, the company's new retail push seems indicate that it is intent on establishing a retail rivalry with Apple.

Article Link: Microsoft Planning 75 New Retail Stores to Take on Apple

rsbagga

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
Will the stores work well for a few months, then slow down, and randomly stop working every few hours?

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
The answer bar. Please....They will just sit there and tell you that it is something wrong with the hardware and talk to the Manufacture. Apple's retail stores are a success because they sell what they make.

But hey, best of luck to them. Competition is only good!

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Oh, Microsoft... You always manage to come across so... desperate

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Eh I dont know how successful that's going to be. Unless Microsoft can mimic the feel and atmosphere of an Apple store, they have no chance of being as successful. Microsoft doesn't have that one product that catches peoples eye like the iPad, iPhone, or Mac.

It reminds me of when Gateway attempted stores years ago.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I have a feeling that this is going to feel more or less like a Bestbuy Mobile store.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Please, Microsoft, just try to be Microsoft.

"Microsoft Store" just doesn't feel right. People won't think you are as cool as Apple just because you have a chain of stores named after your company.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Copying from apple again he…
Let's see how this will work.

Apple would probably like this, 'cause disappointed windows user can walk across the street to go and buy a Mac :p

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
It's been a while since they (Microsoft) first opened their revolutionary and innovative retail stores. They didn't only copy Apple's stores design, but they also copied the formula in every possible way. (Just look at some pictures of their stores to see what I mean)

I found it ridiculous back then, and I still do to this day.

Just another "me too" strategy from Microsoft.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I could respect Microsoft more if they stopped basing their entire existence on copying Apple. Ok, I realize that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but really, copying the retail stores from the look down having an "Answer Bar?" Ballmer really is an idiot.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh dear, not again.

People go to apple stores to look at the glitzy hardware, not primarily an OS.

(ironic that it seems apple will be no longer selling it's OS as a hard copy!)

And there won't be anything special about going to an MS store to look at a HP laptop.

Yachtee

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Gulf coast?

Uhhh did some idiot at microsoft forget the gulf coast exists? Not that we have much of a use for one down here but most of the dads i know do the brunt of their shopping while on vacation at the beach to get away from annoying family. Just my 2 cents. Apple finally caught on and now you can hardly get an appt at any of their stores on the gulf coast.

carlemil

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well that's great if you use windows. Whos hardware will they be selling?
On another note, why are they using 3 different fonts on their map/poster thing? that not cool. It's like the Samsung Galaxy S 2 which has 4 fonts in one logo, see here, thats impressing.

Carl Emil

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
I say, let 'em try; let us just pray that not all of them will have their own squad of geeky dancers >_>
Btw, why does Microsoft have to come up with such uninspiring names? Granted, "Genius Bar" can sound over the top, but "Answer Desk"? :confused:

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Microsoft makes hardware? Microsoft will be able to tell you all about the millions of manufacturers stuff (for which they have no connection with) that run their software?

Something seems odd about Microsoft store. It's just not the same thing, or could I see it being the same thing. They don't make hardware and software, nor is said hardware controlled by the company. They have great limits on how they can help you because it's not their call.

It's not something Apple has exclusive rights to, but I'd think you need an enclosed ecosystem for a store like this to actually work.

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
The answer bar. Please....They will just sit there and tell you that it is something wrong with the hardware and talk to the Manufacture. Apple's retail stores are a success because they sell what they make.

But hey, best of luck to them. Competition is only good!

I've only had terrible experiences with the "Genius Bar." I brought my iMac there because the hard drive had failed after about a year of use and they spent about 3 hours trying to diagnose the problem. Then they wanted $400 dollars to replace a 250GB harddrive. That was the last time I went to the Apple Store for anything other than just killing time at the mall.

Good look with the Windows Store. I would love to see another computer store here in Richmond.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Sorry, this is just so stupid. Put your $$, time, energy, and talent on creating an amazing OS and software. This just does not fit at all. Ballmer needs to go. Sheer lunacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.