Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Steve Jobs said publicly he was going to vigorously defend Apple's patents on the iPhone and let's face it, a lot of these touchscreen smartphones are blatantly violating Apple patents.

Can you tell us which Apple patents you think are being blatantly violated? Thanks!

Oh - btw - for all the uneducated: Android doesn't use a "swipe to unlock"-gesture- Android uses a security lock that has nothing to do with a simple swipe. Draw a pattern on 9 points it is, no swipe.

Yes, but the phonemakers have added their own swipe-to-unlock screens.

Apple has a design (visual) patent on theirs, so the other companies use different shapes and directions.

PS. Unlock patterns and gestures have been around on PDAs since at least the late 1990s. The first hardcoded horizontal swipe-to-unlock gesture I know of was on the NeoNode phone in 2002.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
O'rly? My Nexus has an unlock sliding tab.

Aha. So you basically just left that security setting untouched. Just FYI my Samsung has a swipe gesture if the security pattern is not enabled. But this swipe has no direction routine underneath.

The screen transforms to a grey rectangle that you can swipe away in any direction be it horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Thought this was default Android behaviour, so my apologies.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Aha. So you basically just left that security setting untouched. Just FYI my Samsung has a swipe gesture if the security pattern is not enabled. But this swipe has no direction routine underneath.

The screen transforms to a grey rectangle that you can swipe away in any direction be it horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Thought this was default Android behaviour, so my apologies.

No worries! You must be using some Galaxy S variant as the default lockscreen is as you describe above.

Stock Android has the sliding tab, left tab go unlock, right tab to access silent mode. :)

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
This is what happens when you make a remark like this -

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/12/htc-tells-apple-to-try-competing-rather-than-suing/#disqus_thread

Wow. Engadget has gone from bad TO worse TO absolutely ridiculous and pathetic with 12 years old posting just non-sense.

As I said, it was a very good move by HTC to make their fanboys and apple-haters roar for a lot of reasons. I'm quite positive that the result will be in Apple's favour.

Infringement IS infringement. Gotta pay for it. ;)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/12/htc-tells-apple-to-try-competing-rather-than-suing/#disqus_thread

Wow. Engadget has gone from bad TO worse TO absolutely ridiculous and pathetic with 12 years old posting just non-sense.

As I said, it was a very good move by HTC to make their fanboys and apple-haters roar for a lot of reasons. I'm quite positive that the result will be in Apple's favour.

Infringement IS infringement. Gotta pay for it. ;)

Are you talking about recent court verdict stating that Apple infringed on a couple of S3 patents (now owned by HTC)?

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Are you talking about recent court verdict stating that Apple infringed on a couple of S3 patents (now owned by HTC)?

Don't try and swing the topic in another way.

If Apple is sued for right, they have to pay. I am not biased to Apple infringing other's patents or other companies violating their IP enclosures.

So what you have essentially claimed that S3 is right for getting the benefits from Apple and Apple can't hold a candle against HTC; cause well they are trolls; sure, go ahead!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.