Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Sadly, a lot of libraries don't have enough money to buy books, let alone tablets.
I guess I will not be getting a tablet any time soon then. It appears to be another plot to coerce me into buying disposable media or other police state nonsense that I would rather not deal with if I can get nearly everything for free already.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Amazon will be the only ones that can really go up against the iPad with their now strong media ecosystem including Apps, Music and Books. They are also in a unique position to utilise their economies of scale to aggressively price their tablet lower than the iPad. Unlike all other tablet makers besides Apple, they have brand awareness with Kindle.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Interesting... hopefully the tablet wil actually be good...! I've been waiting to see a real competitor to the ipad, and as far as I know (based on design, specs, and especially sales) that hasn't happened yet. But I hope it does. The ipad needs more real competition to keep it moving forward...

singlestick

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Southern California
Interesting... hopefully the tablet wil actually be good...! I've been waiting to see a real competitor to the ipad, and as far as I know (based on design, specs, and especially sales) that hasn't happened yet. But I hope it does. The ipad needs more real competition to keep it moving forward...

I agree. I really like my iPad. But I am disappointed that there is really no good alternative tablet. I really hate the stupid idea that some other device is supposed to be an "iPad killer," but I would really like to see Amazon and other companies succeed. As you say, it might help Apple make the iPad better.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, here's my thoughts on this:
1. Amazon's Cloud vs. iTunes Cloud - iTunes requires you to download the music, but Amazon allows you to stream it as well as redownload it. More choices are better and anything you buy on one can be uploaded to the other now, since Apple removed DRM. I think Amazon wins this one.

2. Streaming Video - Netflix has more choices, work on more devices and is cheaper, they win and remove both iTunes and Amazon from the game.

3. Books - Amazon wins the eBooks in my opinion because you can read them on just about any device, not just the iPad/iPhone.

These are the three items that I can see Amazon using. What they will need to do is make sure that their tablet supports Netflix over 3G and make sure they properly support everything else.

Now if they follow the same setup as the Kindle and offer free 3G on the 3G models they can crush all tablets, even the iPad, especially if they keep the prices down, even by offering a special offers model (still only displaying special offers on the home screen and screen saver).

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Oh brother.

Reported issues with the Amazon App Marketplace aside, such as mysteriously eating up resources (developer suspicions here), I tend to lean toward MG Siegler's take that Apple has little to fear and Google stands the most to loose. Amazon could partner with Microsoft for Bing incorporation and thus avoid paying the dreaded "patent fee."

Microsoft should take the deal, since it appears charging Android device manufacturers more lucrative than selling Windows Phone 7 devices. :p

singlestick

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Southern California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, here's my thoughts on this:
1. Amazon's Cloud vs. iTunes Cloud - iTunes requires you to download the music, but Amazon allows you to stream it as well as redownload it. More choices are better and anything you buy on one can be uploaded to the other now, since Apple removed DRM. I think Amazon wins this one.

2. Streaming Video - Netflix has more choices, work on more devices and is cheaper, they win and remove both iTunes and Amazon from the game.

3. Books - Amazon wins the eBooks in my opinion because you can read them on just about any device, not just the iPad/iPhone.

These are the three items that I can see Amazon using. What they will need to do is make sure that their tablet supports Netflix over 3G and make sure they properly support everything else.

Now if they follow the same setup as the Kindle and offer free 3G on the 3G models they can crush all tablets, even the iPad, especially if they keep the prices down, even by offering a special offers model (still only displaying special offers on the home screen and screen saver).

I agree with most of what you say here.

However, I think that Netflix has made a major stumble with their recent price changes. This creates a major opportunity for Amazon.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007

However, I think that Netflix has made a major stumble with their recent price changes. This creates a major opportunity for Amazon.

Netfix charges $8 per month for streaming only, plus it has a lot of HD and it's adding more every hour. For now, nobody can touch it.

With their subscription scheme, Amazon is on the right track, long-term.

Apple is just not competitive, unless you watch less than 2-5 titles per month.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA

I agree...having been a Netflix customer since its' inception, I'm about to bail, best selection or not, they've made the delivery option too costly.

After becoming an apple fan following a 3rd gen ipod with a G4 Mini...I haven't looked back...though I do use my 3rd gen kindle non-stop. Having said that, I hope Amazon knocks it out of the park with this one.

singlestick

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Southern California
Reported issues with the Amazon App Marketplace aside, such as mysteriously eating up resources (developer suspicions here), I tend to lean toward MG Siegler's take that Apple has little to fear and Google stands the most to loose. Amazon could partner with Microsoft for Bing incorporation and thus avoid paying the dreaded "patent fee."

Microsoft should take the deal, since it appears charging Android device manufacturers more lucrative than selling Windows Phone 7 devices. :p

I generally respect Siegler's take on things, but think he kinda misses the boat here. First of all, I don't think that Amazon is trying to threaten Apple. They are looking for new ways to satisfy their customers, and also trying to grow into new areas to deal with recent challenges to their business, such as the state sales tax issue which is affecting a lot of they way that they traditionally do business.

I wonder how many potential Amazon device users do not currently use a tablet, any other Apple device or currently have any computer at all. Amazon's new tablet may in fact expand the market, and create opportunities for Apple and everyone else.

I do, however, like Siegler's analysis of Amazon's potential strategy in coming to market initially with a cheaply built tablet. This may be problematic since Apple has created an expectation of the look and feel of a tablet.

On the other hand, I don't think that an Amazon tablet hurts google. In fact it may help them a great deal. Google has an indifferent track record when it comes to delivering polished products to the market. Amazon beat them to the punch with a good music service, which could tremendously help seal the deal for Android tablets.

If done right, an Amazon tablet could help bring some order and direction to a somewhat chaotic Android tablet market.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
on shaky ground here....

Boy are you exploitative. Slut is for either a male or a female. Apologize you hater!

Ummm...

slut [slʌt]
n
1. a dirty slatternly woman
2. an immoral woman
3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Animals) Archaic a female dog

[of unknown origin]

sluttish adj
sluttishly adv
sluttishness n

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

slut (slt)
n.
a. A person, especially a woman, considered sexually promiscuous.
b. A woman prostitute.
2. A slovenly woman; a slattern.

[Middle English slutte.]

sluttish adj.
sluttish·ly adv.
sluttish·ness n.
slutty adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

The use of slut for men is fairly recent, and comes from gay gender-bender slang (using female terms like "bitch", "slut", "Mary",... for males).

http://www.pakistan-karachi.info/Slut
http://thenewgay.net/2009/08/slut.html - "The first time I got called a slut it caused me a little thrill."

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
more shaky ground

Read your original post. You clearly had the female gender in mind…

Men can wear dresses as well....

k6atkolanote.jpg

http://kinseysicks.com/scrapbook.php

;)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No use trying to backpedal now.

So I agree with palpatine; mysoginistic.
At least look it up or something: misogynistic

But also, that's not what it means. I think you just want "sexist".
Men can wear dresses as well....

;)
I don't think we call them sluts, though. Just..."men". Maybe homo- vs hetero- matters? But I didn't think so....

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I don't think we call them sluts, though. Just..."men". Maybe homo- vs hetero- matters? But I didn't think so....

I'd call the "Kinsey Sicks" by the phrase "very talented performers" - not sluts. One Christmas show of theirs ("Oy Vey in a Manger") I was sitting by a friend's mother, and she started singing along with them in Yiddish.

I didn't mean to imply that the Kinseys are sluts - just that they are men wearing dresses....

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

And you need to get a refund on that liberal college tuition that will never pay off.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

And you never met slutty males that cross dress. Boy have you lived a sheltered life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.