Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
Absolutely....? So more people using Macs *really* means they're using Windows! Yes, of course. Up is down. Blue skies are red. Why don't you and lilo777 and AidenShaw and Winni and Applescruff just lay down and take your nap.

No it means that most people who converted over to macs only did so because THEY CAN STILL RUN WINDOWS.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Don't be so confused. There's nothing to be confused about.

Re-visit the state of the industry two years from now and you'll see some major differences in that figure.

What do you think the Windows figure will be in two years, 85% or so?

JollyJoeJoe

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Evidence to back this up?

Dude, the Mac is just a PC flashed with EFI firmware. Same processors and motherboard chipset!

I am buying the new MBA when it comes out because it's sexy hardware and design, but will rarely if ever use OSX.

It's the OS that matters! Hardware don't mean *****. Well in Macs case it does because they restricted their OS to running on machines flashed with EFI firmware, which hackintosh has no problem emulating/tricking without any performance hit.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
US sales market share is not analogous to global or even US install base market share.

Mac OS X is sitting at around 5.3% of the global install base market share.

Here is some install base market share numbers for the countries with the highest Mac market shares.

Attachments

• mac-market-share-top-countries.png
    mac-market-share-top-countries.png
    39 KB · Views: 99

Ravaroo

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
feels like Canada South
Where are the Western European countries on this list?
Hard to believe that Apple doesn't have a bigger market share in some of those countries that place importance on art & design:confused:

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
That's odd, Mac's only sell well in wealthy countries.

But, you can always install Ubuntu on any PC.

Or, Fedora just for Gnome 3.

Or, PC-BSD if you want to run an OS based on FreeBSD much like Mac OS X.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://fedoraproject.org/ & http://www.gnome3.org/

http://www.pcbsd.org/

That's because the chart is nonsense - what are the underlying statistics?

StatCounter Global Stats

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201006-201106

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
No it means that most people who converted over to macs only did so because THEY CAN STILL RUN WINDOWS.

Do you mean that bootcamp was a marketing ploy to placate the apprehension of those hesitant to switch until they became comfortable with Mac OS X?

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
Do you mean that bootcamp was a marketing ploy to placate the apprehension of those hesitant to switch until they became comfortable with Mac OS X?

Bootcamp is needed because the software selection sucks for mac. Gaming sucks, and lots of software is PC only. No amount of UI elegance can make up for the lack of software

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Bootcamp is needed because the software selection sucks for mac. Gaming sucks, and lots of software is PC only. No amount of UI elegance can make up for the lack of software

What software do you find is lacking? Examples?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

If the software isn't offered for a Mac, that means you don't need it. Same thing for games. If Steve wanted you to have the software and games, he would invent it and sell it to you. Since he doesn't, that means you don't need it. Never forget that Steve knows what is best for you, even better than you do. Just think about Apples record profits and how cool looking everything they make is and you will quickly forget about the lack of games and software. Form and profits come first. This isn't about what is best for the consumer, it's what's best for Apple.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
I can agree with the criticism in relation to games if you're a gamer. But, if you are a hardcore gamer, then don't buy a Mac.

If you are a light casual gamer, the selection for free games is decent.

Urban Terror, True Combat: Elite, Smokin' Guns, and most anything else found in the free and/or open source gaming scene.

Obviously, if you want the most bleeding edge games available, a Mac is not the greatest tech to purchase.

The game situation seems to be changing over time due to porting wrappers being used by the big game makers such as EA.

I find no deficit in the availability of software outside the domain of games.

Of course, unless you are stuck on using a particular software solution that is only for Windows and are not willing to learn to use a good alternative available for Mac.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I was an Apple/Mac user back in the late '80's, early '90's. I learned how to use a computer on the Apple IIe computers that were in my high school computer lab (Bank Street Writer, anyone?). My first personal computer purchased in college was a Mac Classic which I used from '91 until ~'96. At that point, for some stupid reason I allowed all my IT friends to convince me that Microsoft was better because there was more software out there for it so I purchased a PC and have used PCs primarily since. Still not sure why I let other people tell me what I wanted/needed in a computer, but I was young and impressionable.

Now, I am back to Mac! I bought my first Mac since my Mac Classic a week ago and I am in LOVE! Is there less software available? Sure. Has there been one single solitary piece of software that I used on my PC that I haven't been able to get either the exact same program or an equivalent? NO! Granted I am not a gamer, any gaming that I do is on my PS3 or Wii. What I primarily use is Word and Excel, I surf the web a lot, I am an online graduate student (MBA), play around with music some, and I do some digital photography. So far, everything that I do is BETTER on my Mac! I love OS X and wouldn't even dream of taking up valuable hard drive space with Windows!

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

JollyJoeJoe said:
NAG said:
Evidence to back this up?

Dude, the Mac is just a PC flashed with EFI firmware. Same processors and motherboard chipset!

I am buying the new MBA when it comes out because it's sexy hardware and design, but will rarely if ever use OSX.

It's the OS that matters! Hardware don't mean *****. Well in Macs case it does because they restricted their OS to running on machines flashed with EFI firmware, which hackintosh has no problem emulating/tricking without any performance hit.

Wow did you really just have an argument with yourself then? Most people buy a mac for the whole experiance... Software + hardware. I know the two working in tandem is possibly a weird concept for you.. But after you ditch your pc youll see that it does actually makes sense.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dbrown said:
Absolutely....? So more people using Macs *really* means they're using Windows! Yes, of course. Up is down. Blue skies are red. Why don't you and lilo777 and AidenShaw and Winni and Applescruff just lay down and take your nap.

Whhooooahhh be careful with words like 'most'. All the Apple users I know have nothing to do with windows unless they are still stuck with one at work cos their firms are too scared/poor to change ..

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
Of course, unless you are stuck on using a particular software solution that is only for Windows and are not willing to learn to use a good alternative available for Mac.

Or maybe the mac alternative is inferior to the PC version or there just isnt a native mac alternative at all? My point is that a mac with bootcamp allows people who wouldnt otherwise able to the option of switching over to a mac since a mac is nothing more than a PC with a nice case and different OS.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Are we moving into a post-MS era?

iOS = Darwin based so Unix-like
Android = Linux based so Unix-like
WebOS = Linux based so Unix-like
Blackberry Tablet OS = QNX based so Unix-like

Some are saying these types of tablets are the consumer computers of the future.

Just another interesting topic in relation to market share that will be interesting to watch progress into the future.

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
Are we moving into a post-MS era?

iOS = Darwin based so Unix-like
Android = Linux based so Unix-like
WebOS = Linux based so Unix-like
Blackberry Tablet OS = QNX based so Unix-like

Some are saying these types of tablets are the consumer computers of the future.

Just another interesting topic in relation to market share that will be interesting to watch progress into the future.

That is a very interesting observation. :)

Time will tell of course. Apple should make more of a push into the business world where software is concerned.

There was a question a few posts ago that asked what software is Mac OS missing. The list is very long* especially in the finance industry. Apple should tackle this industry and do whatever it takes to ease the transition for developers of financial software. Even if it means diversifying away from consumer oriented model to say a Mac OS Pro for business. Doing something like that may help remove the old stigma that Mac OS is just for the creative types and not for the suit and tie types.

*The list is indeed long and is part of the reason why there is a large contingent that use Windows on a Mac via bootcamp or a VM. Virtually all trading or professional money management software is for Windows. The majority of proprietary software in finance, medical, scientific and industrial is for Windows. While there are those of you who may not know any who use Windows on a Mac, they actually do exist. Especially those in the above mentioned fields. That they elect to use Windows on a Mac is a compliment to Apple and their exceptional hardware. So be happy and embrace your fellow Mac owners who use Windows on a Mac. The Mac experience isn't limited to just OS X on a Mac. Just as any PC experience isn't limited to the OS it shipped with.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
What is missing from OS X that would necessitate the creation of a "Pro" edition, other than to serve as a cash grab?

I am unaware of the state of professional finance software for Mac; a deficit in this area is completely possible.

The user to which I was responding is most likely not worrying about this type of software.

I disagree about a lack of Mac software in the domains of medicine and science.

Many clinical and research settings use Macs for imaging via directly using or basing their software on Osirix.

http://www.osirix-viewer.com/Users.html

Medicine and science are professional settings beyond creative professions in which Macs are relatively popular.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
That is a very interesting observation. :)

Time will tell of course. Apple should make more of a push into the business world where software is concerned.

There was a question a few posts ago that asked what software is Mac OS missing. The list is very long* especially in the finance industry. Apple should tackle this industry and do whatever it takes to ease the transition for developers of financial software. Even if it means diversifying away from consumer oriented model to say a Mac OS Pro for business. Doing something like that may help remove the old stigma that Mac OS is just for the creative types and not for the suit and tie types.

*The list is indeed long and is part of the reason why there is a large contingent that use Windows on a Mac via bootcamp or a VM. Virtually all trading or professional money management software is for Windows. The majority of proprietary software in finance, medical, scientific and industrial is for Windows. While there are those of you who may not know any who use Windows on a Mac, they actually do exist. Especially those in the above mentioned fields. That they elect to use Windows on a Mac is a compliment to Apple and their exceptional hardware. So be happy and embrace your fellow Mac owners who use Windows on a Mac. The Mac experience isn't limited to just OS X on a Mac. Just as any PC experience isn't limited to the OS it shipped with.

Are money managers too cheap to buy Sony VAIO? :confused: Better hardware than Mac and appropriate OS.

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
Are money managers too cheap to buy Sony VAIO? :confused: Better hardware than Mac and appropriate OS.

Cheap? No. How could they be when the Vaio costs less. Better hardware? Perhaps, but the screen size and resolution of the 27" iMac is the draw.

As for appropriate OS; yes of course. That's why Windows is run on a Mac with this group.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.