Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smeeth123

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Hmmm...strange. It works for me every time on the GM build of Lion.
What is your hardware configuration?

Anyone else who has tried this please post results for comparison.

I've tried this a few times myself. I've managed to get it work once but on subsequent reboots I've never been able to get it to work again. I'm running the GM of Lion and ensured that all audio settings for my Mac are built-in on boot. I'm also testing all of this with a brand new user account so there is no chance that any login items are messing it up.

Currently running a brand new 3.4 GHz i7 iMac with 8 GB of RAM.

Let me know if you have any other ideas. I'd love to get this working.

destroyer01

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Apogee Duet 1

Macbook Pro 2.66ghz C2D 8gb ram 500gb HD: Lion 10.7 GM
i had to reboot several times and them go into system preferences and change the sound settings to internal, then reboot. After that then you have to open Maestro and click identify several times, change the volume knob until it identifies the Duet. takes a little greasing but it works after several tries.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Macbook Pro 2.66ghz C2D 8gb ram 500gb HD: Lion 10.7 GM
i had to reboot several times and them go into system preferences and change the sound settings to internal, then reboot. After that then you have to open Maestro and click identify several times, change the volume knob until it identifies the Duet. takes a little greasing but it works after several tries.

I've been busy all day, just getting to these replies now. Well, it seems both you and Smeeth123 are having similar issues. After reading both of your replies, I think perhaps there is one more crucial step to the process than I originally described. I didn't consider it much, but now that I think of it, I've always ended up un-checking "mute" in Maestro after I click "identify unit" so that i can test the audio is working on my monitors. It could end up being essential in the process.

I'll try and find some time tomorrow to experiment and see if I can figure anything else out. Again, any additional users who have tried please post your findings.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Anyone with problems should contact Apogee support. They have been extremely helpful in the past when I had issues with my ONE. Some of the best support I've dealt with.

destroyer01

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Apogee Duet issues

With This being such a headache I'm just going to revert back to Snow Leopard until they have a fix for this!!!!!!

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
i also have this issue - cant use my duet now. have mailed apogge - no respons.

Smeeth123

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
I can confirm that I least for me, when I boot my system, my Duet automitically unmutes itself and any attempt to re-mute it causes the same problems that occur when changing the volume otherwise. Interestingly it seems that the volume is stuck squarely at -28.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
i also have this issue - cant use my duet now. have mailed apogge - no respons.

Smeeth123 - I can confirm that I least for me, when I boot my system, my Duet automitically unmutes itself and any attempt to re-mute it causes the same problems that occur when changing the volume otherwise. Interestingly it seems that the volume is stuck squarely at -28.

Hmmm...I just unplugged the Duet completely from my MBP that's running 10.7, plugged it back in and booted, no issues.
I tried rebooting twice and unplugging again, still no issues.

I'm wondering, Smeeth123 and jorgus, can you post what version of the Maestro software you're running? I'm running Maestro 1.9.14 and aguaplano listed that in his post below. Maybe this could be the difference?

Also, I noticed that me, aguaplano, and destroyer01 are all running slightly older machines, whereas Smeeth123 is on a new machine. Maybe different firewire chip could be the source of the initialization problem?

I've got another idea I'm going to check to see if I can recreate any problems. I'll post back in a few minutes.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Ok, the only way I can recreate any problems on my machine is if I attempt to hotplug the Duet after the system has booted. If I unplug it after the system boots and everything is working as it should be, then try to plug it back in, Maestro won't recognize my Duet it until I reboot the machine. It's fine after a reboot.

Since this is only a few of us with this issue, let's just use PM or maybe a new post to discuss this further instead of partially hijacking this thread about the Duet 2.

If anyone else is having either success or issues with using Duet 1 on LION GM build or beta, just send me a PM.

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
I'm running 1.9.14 - it's the latest but two years old :-D. Who said Apogee was active? Me and two of my friends with Duets have always ben forced to hotplug/replug our Duets about one or two times a week 'cause it's losing contact with the Mac. About once a week we all also have the Apogee goes nuts and use 100% of a core in the Mac - constantly. We then have to restart our Macs. All tree of us - different Macs (iMacs and MBP). This was in Swow Leopard.

This issue with Lion is heavier though and I'm sure there will be many, many who will have this issue when Lion finally is spread around - I think it takes about 6 month until the "storm" will accour. If Apogee will fix this now or wait untill the storm - I don't know. It's one of the things that sets the standard of a company - the reaction time - 'cause I'm sure they have seen the issue themself in the lab.

If there is no fix from Apogee two weeks after Lions release I know the standard of Apogee and I will not go for the Duet 2 in januari as planned. There is other good soundcards ot there - other good companies. But Apogee produce the most beautiful gear of course :-D. And estetics are important.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
I'm running 1.9.14 - it's the latest but two years old :-D. Who said Apogee was active? Me and two of my friends with Duets have always ben forced to hotplug/replug our Duets about one or two times a week 'cause it's losing contact with the Mac. About once a week we all also have the Apogee goes nuts and use 100% of a core in the Mac - constantly. We then have to restart our Macs. All tree of us - different Macs (iMacs and MBP). This was in Swow Leopard.

This issue with Lion is heavier though and I'm sure there will be many, many who will have this issue when Lion finally is spread around - I think it takes about 6 month until the "storm" will accour. If Apogee will fix this now or wait untill the storm - I don't know. It's one of the things that sets the standard of a company - the reaction time - 'cause I'm sure they have seen the issue themself in the lab.

If there is no fix from Apogee two weeks after Lions release I know the standard of Apogee and I will not go for the Duet 2 in januari as planned. There is other good soundcards ot there - other good companies. But Apogee produce the most beautiful gear of course :-D. And estetics are important.

Hmmm... I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're being honest here, but for some reason I find it hard to believe your posting. I can't help but smell some good ol' bullsh.. especially since you go out of your way to add in pointless jabs that have nothing to do with audio or the discussion at hand, like "estetics are important". (By the way, it's aesthetics):

Here's what reeks of b.s. in my opinion. I sincerely apologize if I'm wrong though.

"Me and two of my friends with Duets have always ben forced to hotplug/replug our Duets about one or two times a week 'cause it's losing contact with the Mac. About once a week we all also have the Apogee goes nuts and use 100% of a core in the Mac - constantly. We then have to restart our Macs. All tree of us - different Macs (iMacs and MBP). This was in Swow Leopard."

From your last sentences, it sounds like you and your two other friends must be working all in the same room at the same time when these problems occur, right?
So it seems like, about once a week, at the same moment, ALL three of your Duets either lose contact with "the Mac" or uses 100% of a core in "the Mac". Then you have to restart your macs, all three of you, at the same time.

I'm sorry, but the sheer likelihood of 3 independent computers, AND 3 independent audio interfaces, ALL having a spontaneous yet identical problem at the same moment suggests 2 highly probable situations.

Either:

1.) There is not actually 3 computers and 3 interfaces at all.
It's actually just you. :)

2.) You are having some kind of electrical surge in the room that instantly affects all 3 computers, causing all 3 of your computers to momentarily lose power, which in turn would cause the Duets to lose power temporarily, thus causing them to lose contact and/or glitch the audio.

This would maybe not affect the MBP since it would still have it's battery, although electrical spikes aren't the most predictable things in the world. ;)

Since personally I think it's number 1, may I suggest trying a different firewire cable with your Duet, or plugging your iMac into a power conditioner? :)

Again, if I'm totally wrong on calling your bs, I apologize. It could be just be that cow hanging around my house:p

Cameron Hood

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Duet II does will not 'share' a port with anything...

A friend that bought one is having so much trouble he is actually returning his and looking around for a Duet 1. It WILL NOT WORK with any kind of external device plugged in - hard drives, dongles, ANYTHING. Apogee finally admitted to him today that it is a known issue, just like this one on their website:

http://support.apogeedigital.com/

but have no IDEA when they will have a fix for it. Looks like the early adopters are the beta testers, unfortunately.

Good thing I found this out - I was going to buy one when the new Logic comes out (possibly this month at summer NAMM), but I think I'll wait a while or go with something else. Wonder if this works under OS 10.7 which comes out any day now, or if that's going to compound the problems?

Don't ask me any technical questions - I don't actually own one. Just passing along info from my friend who is a professional composer and arranger (Hal Leonard, Michael Bublé, 2010 Olympics, lots of others).

Cheers,
Cameron

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
A friend that bought one is having so much trouble he is actually returning his and looking around for a Duet 1. It WILL NOT WORK with any kind of external device plugged in - hard drives, dongles, ANYTHING. Apogee finally admitted to him today that it is a known issue, just like this one on their website:

http://support.apogeedigital.com/

but have no IDEA when they will have a fix for it. Looks like the early adopters are the beta testers, unfortunately.

Good thing I found this out - I was going to buy one when the new Logic comes out (possibly this month at summer NAMM), but I think I'll wait a while or go with something else. Wonder if this works under OS 10.7 which comes out any day now, or if that's going to compound the problems?

Don't ask me any technical questions - I don't actually own one. Just passing along info from my friend who is a professional composer and arranger (Hal Leonard, Michael Bublé, 2010 Olympics, lots of others).

Cheers,
Cameron

That sucks. I haven't tried the Duet 2 yet, so I have no experience with that particular unit, but I would be pretty surprised if Lion compatibility isn't planned for shortly after the public 10.7 release.

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Man...I'm swedish - english is not my native lingo. I just say that we have the same issue in Snow Leopard. Not in the same room or at the same time. Jezez. Is my english THAT bad? We have same issue on different Macs at about the same frequens. We and many others on the planet (Google, man - Google).

Hmmm... I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're being honest here, but for some reason I find it hard to believe your posting. I can't help but smell some good ol' bullsh.. especially since you go out of your way to add in pointless jabs that have nothing to do with audio or the discussion at hand, like "estetics are important". (By the way, it's aesthetics):

Here's what reeks of b.s. in my opinion. I sincerely apologize if I'm wrong though.

"Me and two of my friends with Duets have always ben forced to hotplug/replug our Duets about one or two times a week 'cause it's losing contact with the Mac. About once a week we all also have the Apogee goes nuts and use 100% of a core in the Mac - constantly. We then have to restart our Macs. All tree of us - different Macs (iMacs and MBP). This was in Swow Leopard."

From your last sentences, it sounds like you and your two other friends must be working all in the same room at the same time when these problems occur, right?
So it seems like, about once a week, at the same moment, ALL three of your Duets either lose contact with "the Mac" or uses 100% of a core in "the Mac". Then you have to restart your macs, all three of you, at the same time.

I'm sorry, but the sheer likelihood of 3 independent computers, AND 3 independent audio interfaces, ALL having a spontaneous yet identical problem at the same moment suggests 2 highly probable situations.

Either:

1.) There is not actually 3 computers and 3 interfaces at all.
It's actually just you. :)

2.) You are having some kind of electrical surge in the room that instantly affects all 3 computers, causing all 3 of your computers to momentarily lose power, which in turn would cause the Duets to lose power temporarily, thus causing them to lose contact and/or glitch the audio.

This would maybe not affect the MBP since it would still have it's battery, although electrical spikes aren't the most predictable things in the world. ;)

Since personally I think it's number 1, may I suggest trying a different firewire cable with your Duet, or plugging your iMac into a power conditioner? :)

Again, if I'm totally wrong on calling your bs, I apologize. It could be just be that cow hanging around my house:p

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
This is where I have my doubts. I have this feeling that Apogee is not in phase whith evolution. It's a notorious lazy company. That's my oppinion. My experience. (Not a statistical proven fact). I don't trust Apogee.

but I would be pretty surprised if Lion compatibility isn't planned for shortly after the public 10.7 release.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Man...I'm swedish - english is not my native lingo. I just say that we have the same issue in Snow Leopard. Not in the same room or at the same time. Jezez. Is my english THAT bad? We have same issue on different Macs at about the same frequens. We and many others on the planet (Google, man - Google).

Hey, I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I put that in my original post. I considered it could just be a language barrier misunderstanding on my part, and if it truly is I sincerely apologize.

However, then you feel compelled to post this, which again makes me doubt your sincerity a bit.
This is where I have my doubts. I have this feeling that Apogee is not in phase whith evolution. It's a notorious lazy company. That's my oppinion. My experience. (Not a statistical proven fact). I don't trust Apogee.
You just now joined Macrumors yesterday to post stuff like this? Really?
Combine this with your extremely low post count and this is why I can't help but wonder if you are either a paid employee of a competing company, or just angry and exaggerating. Again, if I'm wrong, really sorry. :confused:

I initially responded to your first post trying to help you figure out an issue with using the Duet on 10.7, but it seems that's not even what you're talking about here.

Myself and a few others have been trying to figure out how to get the Duet to run stably on Lion, which can't even really be considered a real "issue" at this point. I mean, we're trying to use hardware and software on a new, unreleased OS without any new release of the Maestro software or any kind of firmware upgrade to the Duet. It's not much of a surprise that it's not working for some people.

My main DAW of choice is Ableton Live. Guess what? The current released version, 8.2.2 is not working with Lion. What a surprise, these things happen oh, I don't know, all the time?
What is Ableton doing about it? They're doing the obvious, working on and beta testing a new version to be compatible. When will they release it? They can't say for sure. Why? Because they aren't fortune tellers. Am I mad about this? No, that would be pretty ridiculous of me. I can only anxiously await a new version, as that is the last piece of software that I use regularly that isn't compatible with Lion, now that I have my Duet working perfect. :)
Once Ableton release a stable version, I can happily upgrade my main system to 10.7

If you're really worried about audio stability on a computer, one of the worst things you could possibly do is upgrade your computer's OS before your audio interface has been announced to be officially supported. Look at Avid or Ableton, it takes them months sometimes before they have an update ready for Protools or Live to support a new OS update, even point updates. It's not because they're lazy, it's because they're trying to make sure their products work properly with the new OS, and believe it or not, that's hard work.
It's not always a simple matter to get all the kinks worked out of things.

I just like to play around and tinker with things, that's why I installed Lion a separate machine, I would never do it on a main system that I relied on daily. That's just asking for trouble.

To close this out, can we maybe do as I suggested a few posts back and let this thread go back to being about the Duet 2?

I'll make a new post today or tomorrow to move the 10.7 testing information into. That way, if Lion gets released before Apogee has an update out, there will be some things to try for the inevitable users who will just immediately update to Lion without thinking about it, and may end up having issues.
They'll be mad and looking to rant and vent, but hopefully having some possible solutions, at least for some, may help them out. I still would like to know why I am able to get my Duet working fine, and aguaplano as well. Until I make the new thread, please anyone who has results good or bad, send me a PM.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Hi Jorgus. I saw what you had posted before you cut it, and I am sorry for my previous responses. :eek:

You have every right to be critical of any company or product, regardless of your count post or how long you've been a member.

I believe now that I was wrong in my suspicions, and that you are in fact legit.
Forgive me for the suspicions, but let me explain myself.

It is commonplace now for people to jump in and start uninformed rants about Product X or Company Y all over the internet with little to no basis for what they're saying, just so they can get a little internet attention. It's called trolling.

Additionally, and much worse, is the increasing habit of companies posting under fake accounts or even hiring people to trash other competing products. Of course, you are going to suggest I work for Apogee because I'm defending them, and you are welcome to do so. I do not work for Apogee, I simply use their products as you do, for both personal and business projects.
If you doubt this, check my company site, ask me any questions you want, challenge me however you see fit.

My whole point of posting in forums like this is because I think the whole idea behind forums are to help and educate one another. I feel that I'm fairly knowledgable with most of the things I use, so I try to do both.

I myself have learned SO much from forums, and I like giving back. Whenever I post, I try to be as thorough as possible, and also to avoid silly bullsh.. squabbles and posts that are full of irrelevant information, or obvious ego jabs, etc.
Whenver I'm searching forums for solutions or specific information, I always wish for an easier way to dig through the mountains of moronic arguments and Company A vs. Company B. garbage to FINALLY get to a post with useful information.

Your first few posts didn't have much useful info, just speculation and things like "it's ok, apogee makes beautiful products" which initially struck me as just more of the mountain of mindless consumer garbage such as the "PC vs. Mac" stuff you see all over the internet.

With your work experience, you probably have a lot to offer here. Sorry for getting things started off on the wrong foot. :eek:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
You know a lot of companies cant release software until lion is out as of NDAs if software uses api's or manuals show screenshots etc.

Don't fret, I'm sure it's all ready

EDIT. Apogee had to pull a manual from the net for the d2 as it had info under the apple nda

Nitrus

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
Working fix...

Here is what I am using... Works for me!

With the AppleScript editor, add the following:

do shell script "killall duetDaemon" password <your password here> with administrator privileges

SAVE AS APPLICATION!

Finally, add the script to your Login items.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Here is what I am using... Works for me!

With the AppleScript editor, add the following:

do shell script "killall duetDaemon" password <your password here> with administrator privileges

SAVE AS APPLICATION!

Finally, add the script to your Login items.

Nice. :)
I'll add this to the new thread on the Duet on 10.7 subject. Thanks!

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Anybody here using Maestro 2? I own an original Duet (all silver) and love it. I think I read somewhere in this thread that Apogee intends to make Maestro 2 compatible with my Duet, so I'm wondering what's new.

It's a shame the top of the new Duet is plastic. I'll keep an eye on how that pans out for those who own one. One of the things I love about the original Duet is that it's built like a metal monster.

Have any Duet 2 owners reported any audio glitches since the switch to USB? I know this may be silly, but since I've already got four external hard drives on my USB chain, I wonder at what point there's just too much going on for everything to run smoothly. The last thing I want to hear is any skipping/buffering of audio due to a highly active USB chain. But then again, for all I know, USB could handle a hundred times the amount of activity I throw at it...?

Since Apple is moving away from Firewire, I assume I'll eventually have to either upgrade to the next Duet or see how a thunderbolt to firewire 400 adapter works out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.