Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Well every time im trying to back up to this "cloud" it's just stuck in the "estimating time remaining" and i follow all the instructions.Is that a common issue ?i know it's still the beginning!!

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Not trying to slam you, or your Internet, but I cloud is only slow when your Internet connection is slow as well.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
If you think it is slow now, just imagine what speed we will get when millions of users are trying to do the same thing. Best to sync over night.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
no the back up isn't slow.it's just stuck everytime,not even my connection.idk in the beta 1 i could do the back up so fast in minutes and now in beta 2 and beta 3 it's just stuck.Anyway im waiting for the GM release

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Well every time im trying to back up to this "cloud" it's just stuck in the "estimating time remaining" and i follow all the instructions.Is that a common issue ?i know it's still the beginning!!

When you do the initial backup, turn off the auto lock on the device, so it says on the entire time. The reason it takes forever is when it locks, wifi turns off and the backup stops.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
When you do the initial backup, turn off the auto lock on the device, so it says on the entire time. The reason it takes forever is when it locks, wifi turns off and the backup stops.
really ? i was locking it all the time

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

That is a interesting point about auto lock, I will say that the fastest ive had it back up is when I ran a backup while using the phone and the screen never went off. I looked for a setting in iOS to keep wifi on even whole it sleeps, that's one we need. Hopefully I'm not missing anything.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
If you think it is slow now, just imagine what speed we will get when millions of users are trying to do the same thing. Best to sync over night.

I'm assuming that their servers are designed for this capacity...your upload speed is going to be far lower than the speed the servers run at...so the limiting factor will be your internet speed, not the server load

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
"Backups happen when iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi."

That's what it says right on the phone. I thought Wi-Fi shuts down when the phone is locked, but then why does the phone say that?

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
"Backups happen when iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi."

That's what it says right on the phone. I thought Wi-Fi shuts down when the phone is locked, but then why does the phone say that?

Those are the automatic backups, not manual.

Notice I said 'When you do the initial backup'.

The ones after that will be fast, since its only updating changed data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.