Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
But the 3GS is more than two years old, even people interested in the low price will want something newer than that.

I currently have a touch-screen but non-smart phone because I will not pay for what to me is an unnecessary, expensive data plan just for kicks. I recently tried to upgrade to an Android phone from my provider, but they refused to give it to me without tacking on the data plan, even though I accepted the two-year contract extension.

Of course, what I really want is an iPhone. But its just too expensive to buy one off-contract (without the data plan). If Apple sold a 3GS at $350 I might just go for it. The lack of a data plan is not a problem for me with wi-fi and the added Mac compatibility I don't get with any other phone.

randomtask72

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
I don't think the 'name' of the next iPhone will be 'iPhone 4s'. I think the 3Gs was just named that to reset the numbering:

1st iphone - iPhone 1
iPhone 3G - iPhone 2
iPhone 3Gs - iPhone 3
iPhone 4 - iPhone 4
iPhone 5 - iPhone 5

If I had to guess, I think apple's plan was to keep the similar design as iPhone 4 for the next one but the antenna-gate changed the road map. Also was to keep the June/July timeline. iPhone 5 will be an updated design, that is why it is late.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone who doesn't think the new iPhone won't be something substantial has to be nuts. That or SJ is going nuts.

Seriously, it's been 15 months since the last update. We've seen the iPhone 4 design be unveiled 4 times at this point (1st when it was leaked, next when it was really released, then for the CDMA version, and finally for white.) I don't want to see them release it a 5th time and throw an S onto the end of the name.

There has to be something really big they're planning... I can't imagine what though... maybe if the entire front was glass? The home button gets replaced with gestures while the mic and camera are somehow embedded behind the glass? Dynamic buttons on the edges or back of the phone? Doubles as your credit/debit/driver's license cards? Retina scanner to replace passwords? IDK, I can think of a whole mixed bag of interesting things they could do... I can't imagine any real "wow" features though... I guess they wouldn't really "wow" me if I could think of them in advance.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd have thought there would be some sort of antenna redesign in the next iPhone, even if it is called the iPhone 4S. Can't imagine they'd want to continue using that flawed design.

There was rumours of them moving the antennas around the band not that long ago though, so maybe the same design but the antenna breaks moved around.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Not a very good source if you need to rely on case manufacturers to let you know if there is a redesign...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
These iPhone rumors are getting crazy. It seems odd for Apple to throw out its usually yearly update to the iPhone if all they were going to do is upgrade the internals, especially when the A5 and other parts are already available (unless of course the rumor about the A5 overheating was true).

The extra time would have allowed Apple the time to redesign the phone, but that may take until 2012.

iPhone 5, iPhone 4s / iPad HD, iPad Pro, iPad 3 rumors...this is getting nuts.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
3Gs will have to support iOS 6 if they keep selling it or make a lot of uninformed customers mad then again they may never know iOS 6 came out.

Apple aren't obliged to offer software upgrades to anyone - as long as the product you buy continues to work, which it would/will.

It's not that long ago that phones didn't get software upgrades full stop, let alone annually for free! So I doubt too many people would actually be bothered.

Last edited:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
So a price drop of $50 for the iPhone 3GS would make more people buy an iPhone? I don't think so.

If they make the iPhone 3GS a $0 iPhone with contract, then they'll see great sales. Or if they make a cheaper pre-paid iPhone, then that will sell like hot cakes. Or sell the iPhone 3GS for $100 no contract.
Also, can we drop the iPhone 4S label? I think the WSJ post is most credible, and they explain why people are having difficulty predicting the next iPhone.

Btw, after the recent iPad 2 case manufacturers went to jail after leaking the case, I don't think many people will attempt the same.

I'm not buying it, and it's from my "incredibly credible source".

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

3Gs will have to support iOS 6 if they keep selling it or make a lot of uninformed customers mad then again they may never know iOS 6 came out.

This is a real issue. If apple wants to keep it's reputation as supporting it's customers (for a reasonable phone lifetime- Essentially the life of contract), it will need to support at least one add'l major iteration of software beyond purchase date.

In other words, if you can still buy a 3GS in 6 months when iOS 5.X.Y is out, I highly doubt that apple wouldn't support iOS6 on the handset. With a totally different chip architecture, not even used on new ipod touches these days (Is there still a cheapo without and A4?), I think this is unlikely. I also highly doubt that apple wants to continue to support lower 640 X 480 resolutions into iOS6.

My guess? The cheapo phone might look like a 3GS (or might just be a slightly crippled iPhone4). I would guess it will have a spec bump to an A4 chip, more memory, and a retina display. I would also guess no FF-Camera and a mediocre rear facing camera.

As component costs come down, this is realistic to do. Especially if it expands to a whole new world of consumers previously untouched- The ones firmly expecting a phone for free w/ contract. I'd be shocked if they couldn't eek out 40+% margins on these things...

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I bit the bullet and got the Verizon iPhone 4 yesterday (for $150 at Sam's Club). Got too tired of waiting for a rumor while suffering with my 3GS on T-Mobile on Edge internet, no visual voicemail (huge one for me because I get a lot of business calls), and not being able to upgrade past the buggy iOS 4.0.

I am sort of glad I won't miss out too much if the next upgrade is just incremental, though I will probably want a true redesigned iPhone 5 when it comes out, but I will figure out what to do then.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I think news sites are sore they haven't gotten a gizmodo like leak of this one, so all rumors are fair game.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Not sure I see the joy of a less expensive unsubsidized phone if its not going to be factory unlocked too. Right now U.S. unsub iPhones are locked. It's time for Apple to start selling unlocked phones in the U.S. and requiring carriers to unlock phones at least at the end of a contract, if not sooner.

This.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
also sounds good to me, seems like apple is going for a larger portion of the marketshare. The iphone4 can only go so far against 50 different kinds of android phones

My wife got a Verizon iphone last week. There was a part on the Verizon instructions in bold: 'Due to the software on this phone, it can NEVER be unlocked for use on another carrier." Um...if it's software, it can be changed you lying sacks of excrement. This "we're not going to unlock at the end of your term" is almost childish imho.

edit: Oops. I replied to the wrong message.

Last edited:

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
There will be no iPhone 4S.

Apple for marketing reasons called the seconded generation iPhone the iPhone 3G because the first one didn't have it and Apple wanted to make a big thing the fact that the new phone had 3g.

Apple then had to come up with a different name for the third generation iPhone because the iPhone 3 would have been confusing, so they stuck an S on the end and said it stands for speed.

The forth generation is the iPhone 4 and the fifth generation will be the iphone 5. Apple likes to keep it simple unlike others i.e. Nokia 6303i classic.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
This is bad news. The low-res iPhone needs to die.

Who cares if they make a low res iPhone. The 3Gs provides a very good user experience at a far lower price.

On the other hand, I agree that low-res Apps need to die. ;)

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Consider the source

C'mon, its Boy Genius Report. We all know Apple does not "leak" things without purpose... and you mean to tell me that BGR has a source in the Apple dev house? People that leak stuff from Apple are either 1) always looking over their shoulder for Ninja Steve, or 2) never heard from again.

It is fun to speculate though...

ToM7

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Israel
this rumor is incorrect ! apple not gonna to call the new iphone 'iphone 4S' (its sounds funny too) the next iphone will be 5 only.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I have a friend with an iPhone 3GS. He loves it. He's seen my iP4 and others. He understands it is better but would take a $50 or FREE iPhone 3GS over a iP4 or iP5 (whatever it is).

The 3GS works for him. He'd buy it again now….especially after he just dropped and shattered the screen he is trying to figure out what to do since there is no "replacement" and thus cheaper 3GS out at the moment.

Vespa Alex

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
An iPhone 4S feels quite likely to me - keep the case design and upgrade the internals, and possibly stretch the screen a smidge, then drop the price of the 4 to be the entry level contract phone.

I can certainly see why they would want a cheaper unsubsidised handset as in Europe, pay as you go phones are much more popular and Android handsets are selling very nicely. Balanced against that they have a need to not cheapen the iPhone brand too much and for that reason I don't see them keeping the 3GS on sale for a third year. Apple's products just don't hang around that long. I'd expect a new case design that's similar to a 4/4S even if it has a similar spec to the 3GS, so non-retina screen and the single core processor.

Vespa Alex

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
I have a friend with an iPhone 3GS. He loves it. He's seen my iP4 and others. He understands it is better but would take a $50 or FREE iPhone 3GS over a iP4 or iP5 (whatever it is).

The 3GS works for him. He'd buy it again now….especially after he just dropped and shattered the screen he is trying to figure out what to do since there is no "replacement" and thus cheaper 3GS out at the moment.

Just buy a new screen from eBay, surely?

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
There is no way that Apple is gonna call the next phone the iPhone 4S. They made a big deal about the iOS 5 release so they will try to match the iOS name with the next iPhone name, 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.