Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Isn't this tantamount to admitting that the Icloud and the Apple Application Store is a failure?

Why would Apple insist that customers download 10.7 from the network, but send physical copies to their own stores?

The mind boggles at the duplicity.

iHypocrisy. Physical media's still the best solution for some people is it Apple? :rolleyes:

Seriously? Downloading Lion from the App Store and installing it on that machine is fine for the average user. The average user does not need to install an operating system on 20+ computers at once right before store opening.

These are different situations entirely. Different situations require different means. This is in no way “hypocrisy."

objc

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
iHypocrisy. Physical media's still the best solution for some people is it Apple? :rolleyes:

You know what would be really fun... downloading it over 256K DSL... that's what my parents had until last year when I convinced them to upgrade to 1.5 Megabit.

I like how it's so simple now too...
Step 1. Install Snow Leopard
Step 2. Download Lion
Step 3. Instal-- WAIT A MINUTE, THERE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE A STEP 3!!!

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I still wear mine for work. Did you get it from the Bullring Store?

Yes, remember the dumb people who got confused with the big X and thought we were queuing for the x-Factor!

(Got a couple of Touchwood opening t-shirts as well - one unboxed - I took my daughter with me so got one each!)

/edit minus vote, wow someone is either precious about the X-Factor or didn't like me getting 2 t-shirts.

Last edited:

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Isn't this tantamount to admitting that the Icloud and the Apple Application Store is a failure?

Why would Apple insist that customers download 10.7 from the network, but send physical copies to their own stores?

How is that? If they are just releasing it to the retail stores, why the hell would they put it as a download just for display computers. The retailers aren't developers so that would mean they would have to set it up as a public download.
-__- learn2common sense

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

I imagine that it's actually a disk image of Lion tailored for the retail experience, with a few iTunes tracks, pictures, videos and the concierge thing that all the demo Mac's get refreshed with every night. It'll be less effort for the tech guys in the Apple stores just to swap a drive in the store's server than to have to initiate, monitor and execute a download.

Purely speculation on my behalf though, just adding my thoughts to your own.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Nice... if only I packed my MBP for my work trip. It was either my work laptop or my MBP. Ahhhh... the agony of a prolonged wait.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America

Damned good point!

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Seriously? Downloading Lion from the App Store and installing it on that machine is fine for the average user. The average user does not need to install an operating system on 20+ computers at once right before store opening.

These are different situations entirely. Different situations require different means. This is in no way “hypocrisy."

You think the only people interested in this are single users for their homes???? Plenty of people are going to want to install it on 20+ computers overnight.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
My Birthday!

My B-Day's on Wednesday...how great would it be to get the Air and Lion on the same date?!

Boom!

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Plenty of people are going to want to install it on 20+ computers overnight.

Not sure if serious... I’ll answer nonetheless.

No. People who want to do such a thing are in the vast minority. Apple serves the interest of the majority of it’s users.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
How is that? If they are just releasing it to the retail stores, why the hell would they put it as a download just for display computers. The retailers aren't developers so that would mean they would have to set it up as a public download.
-__- learn2common sense

You seriously want to tell me that Apple does not have a way to send an electronic file to specific people without making it a public download????????????? This just keeps getting better and better.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would it be coming on Wednesday? If it's shipping with new MBAs that would imply a Tuesday launch, like every other product launch.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
So soon we will be able to replace all the "where is Lion" threads with "Lion bugs" threads!

Already ran into a few last minute bugs regarding Active Directory Binding. I hope this isn't a bad re-run of Snow Leopard/Leopard.

I imagine that it's actually a disk image of Lion tailored for the retail experience, with a few iTunes tracks, pictures, videos and the concierge thing that all the demo Mac's get refreshed with every night. It'll be less effort for the tech guys in the Apple stores just to swap a drive in the store's server than to have to initiate, monitor and execute a download.

Purely speculation on my behalf though, just adding my thoughts to your own.

This is correct. They send LaCie drives full of preconfigured OS's for each model that is currently on the floor. They also had a special image for the family room which had the concierge buttons and other assorted store applications. At least this was how it was when I was with Apple a few years ago.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Edit: Negative voted post within a couple of minutes, not surprised. How about quoting and debating the issue instead people?
As others have mentioned, this isn't a typical "Lion Install DVD". It's the Apple Retail Lion image, which includes full libraries of demo media for iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto/Aperture, Garage Band, and unless something's changed, even iWeb. Some images will contain the other demo apps that Apple Retail loads on their machines, like the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.

This is hardly a 4.7GB download.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005

You know it is fine for the average user. But no-one is really 'average'. There are people with super-fast internet connections for whom it will be trivial to download even across multiple macs without resorting to futzing around with opening package contents to get an installer file, and then there are people with slow connections and family members' machines to look after for whom it's going to be a huge hassle and more difficult to do legitimately.

This IS hypocrisy, because Apple are forcing the users to download Lion whereas they are, reportedly, sending physical copies to their own stores. Different situations? Yes, exactly, just like not all users are in identical situations.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Not sure if serious... I’ll answer nonetheless.

No. People who want to do such a thing are in the vast minority. Apple serves the interest of the majority of it’s users.

Decent idea for vast majority, but terrible thing for minority does not = a good idea. If it were a huge improvement for the vast majority and did not make things harder for anyone, then I would agree. But the point is they are saying how there is NO need for physical media...except when it comes to installing on their own computers.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
As others have mentioned, this isn't a typical "Lion Install DVD". It's the Apple Retail Lion image, which includes full libraries of demo media for iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto/Aperture, Garage Band, and unless something's changed, even iWeb. Some images will contain the other demo apps that Apple Retail loads on their machines, like the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.

This is hardly a 4.7GB download.

So Apple retail stores, in urban shopping areas, can't download a hard drive's worth of apps(/demos whatever)? Well if so, then now they know how some users feel constrained by poor internet connections. It doesn't change the point at all.

Last edited:

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Wake me when it's up to 10.7.1. ;)

And "amen" to the person who wrote that now we can have all the "Why did they remove 'X' feature?" threads . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.