Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I would still choose it over an Otterbox screen protector. I don't recall how the Otterbox reacted to sunlight though.

I don't really see it as an issue but just thought everyone should be aware. Maybe mine was just dirty :) I think I heard someone else make the same complaint though.

It wouldn't be enough to steer me away from the case as any phone won't look great in direct sunlight anyhow.

The Otterbox has that fuzzy look I don't like. This one looks clear until exposed to direct sunlight, then gives a mildly cloudy effect. Like I said, could be just me.

You know... the screen protector can be removed on Otterbox Defender. It's not like it's waterproof.:p

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
You know... the screen protector can be removed on Otterbox Defender. It's not like it's waterproof.:p

You know that's a good point, and I thought about that, but one of the selling points to me is the fact that I don't have to apply a new screen protector, or risk a naked screen. I just put it in the case and move on. Very convenient because I absolutely hate applying screen protectors.

Phone is naked right now in a Casemate Pop. Enjoying it while I can :)

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
You know that's a good point, and I thought about that, but one of the selling points to me is the fact that I don't have to apply a new screen protector, or risk a naked screen. I just put it in the case and move on. Very convenient because I absolutely hate applying screen protectors.

After putting a screen protector on my iPad 2, installing screen protectors on an iPhone 4 is a cinch for me now. Plus, the steamy shower trick works pretty good. I prefer to at least put a screen protector on the front, since it's the hardest and most expensive screen on the iPhone 4 to replace.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
After putting a screen protector on my iPad 2, installing screen protectors on an iPhone 4 is a cinch for me now. Plus, the steamy shower trick works pretty good. I prefer to at least put a screen protector on the front, since it's the hardest and most expensive screen on the iPhone 4 to replace.

Yeah I have a few coming in the mail. I'll try the steamy shower trick :)

I managed to get one on my iPad nearly perfect after a couple tries.

Helmsy67

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2011

Moshi iVisor is the screen protector for you. All you do is put it on the screen no air bubbles nothing at all and its reusable. Just take it off wash it off and put it back on. It's really amazing considering how hard screen protectors are to get on perfect with no air bubbles. You should definitely check it out.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Just saw that. Sucks, mine is already up on eBay and that was one of the main reasons for selling it.

I could pull the auction but I'm too excited about the profit haha

They are a great company no doubt, and have great customer service. Just sucks the case itself didn't live up to full expectation.

Keep it on ebay. Move on. There are way too many cons to put up with that piece of garbage case.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
psyduckiee offered me $50 for it, $20 less than if I just returned it to lifeproof. I put it on ebay for $200 buy-it-now. I got a couple $125 offers the first day then accepted a $135 offer a day later.

psyduckiee

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
psyduckiee offered me $50 for it, $20 less than if I just returned it to lifeproof. I put it on ebay for $200 buy-it-now. I got a couple $125 offers the first day then accepted a $135 offer a day later.
Lol are you serious? Why didn't you just decline and ignore it? Why post any information regarding the conversation we had? Wait until those ignorant people that purchase for crazy amounts catch on with the problems and file a claim with paypal disputing the item. One word to describe you, lame.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
There's an auction about to end for around $170.

Yea, that appears to be the highest one has gone for.. the average is still around $130 or so. I felt a little bad selling mine for how much I got. Poor guy is buying a glorified tupperware container.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Yea, that appears to be the highest one has gone for.. the average is still around $130 or so. I felt a little bad selling mine for how much I got. Poor guy is buying a glorified tupperware container.

Yeah, but those are probably the ones that want it so bad they don't care, and probably post on their Facebook regularly too.

Let them try and file a PayPal claim. Clearly described and says As-Is. No grounds for claim. There was a guy with zero feedback bidding on mine, should probably deny his bid. I'd rather sell to someone with more feedback that is less likely to pull some crap like that.

dflowerz

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I've been using the LifeProof case for a few weeks now and it is a keeper for me. The speaker phone issue is annoying as it renders that feature of the phone useless. Yes the controls and touch screen require more work to use than without the case. I am willing to deal with those negatives because the form factor is very slim for a waterproof enclosure. I commute to work running and bicycling year round in Seattle where you may have heard it rains a little bit. For years I have wrapped my phone in a plastic bag which is a huge pain, so having a nice case is fantastic. Now I just grab the phone and go. The one thing I am looking for now is a headphone adapter that will work with the case without the need to screw the adapter into the case as that is not needed indoors and it is a pain to have to screw that adapter in every time I want to listen to music. I do not use the Apple earbuds. So overall the case is worth it to me in a big way but certainly has some issues that could be better.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I find that I only like to use cases like this only when I work since the type of work I do the iPhone would need such a case. However I find myself switching to a less protective case on the weekends such as Otterbox commuter then Monday mornings switching to more protective case such as Griffin Survivor for the week. Sometimes during the work week I'll switch from protective case to Otterbox commuter when I'm home and not working. The iPhone is so much better either naked or with a minimal protective case like an Otterbox commuter.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
I find that I only like to use cases like this only when I work since the type of work I do the iPhone would need such a case. However I find myself switching to a less protective case on the weekends such as Otterbox commuter then Monday mornings switching to more protective case such as Griffin Survivor for the week. Sometimes during the work week I'll switch from protective case to Otterbox commuter when I'm home and not working. The iPhone is so much better either naked or with a minimal protective case like an Otterbox commuter.

I agree, and that's why I got rid of it, since you can only open it 50 times before the seals degrade.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Lol love how the sonic guy blows the company real hard before everyone got their cases then once the real reviews are out he returns it.

Well good thing he sold it for a profit when he did... since lifeproof opened their order page for everyone now. This may mean prices may go down on ebay. Pre-orders are now over, so no more free waterproof headphone adapter for those that order now.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Lol love how the sonic guy blows the company real hard before everyone got their cases then once the real reviews are out he returns it.
I never blew the company, smartass. I simply passed on the the facts deriving from either beta testers or credible sources to help calm all the accusations before the case even released. Yeah, they took a while but it was no reason to knock the case. Now that it has actually released and I had hands on, no it did not live up to the hype but they are still a great company, especially considering how new they are. They fixed my problem no questions asked and they have already released a fix for the speakerphone issue. I probably would have kept it if I heard about that before I put it on eBay and the excitement for profit set in. I'll likely buy one in the future when all the kinks are worked out. If I couldn't make a profit off of it I would have kept it for sure.

I liked the case, but I'm happier with a $60 profit on a used case. They have great customer service and I can't knock them. The woman I sold the case to loves it. Some love it, some hate it. That's how the world works.

Take your BS somewhere else kid. I guess it's expected from someone with Gucci as their username.

Last edited:

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Well good thing he sold it for a profit when he did... since lifeproof opened their order page for everyone now. This may mean prices may go down on ebay. Pre-orders are now over, so no more free waterproof headphone adapter for those that order now.

Yeah my buddy just sold his and it only went for around $95. Sold mine used for $130 about a week ago.

RedNeckAppleTek

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Rec'd My Lieproof Today

I rec'd my lifeproof case today :) First of all the pre-order process was a pain I have to say. When you pre-order you are given a choice of shipping methods. Of course the usual (Overnight) (2 Day) and standard. However !!! What you dont know until you order it and they send you a confimation email is that it will take 2 WEEKS to process ??? Of course initially when I ordered mine I chose 2day delivery then discovered I had to wait 2 weeks and 2 days. Unprofessional and very misleading IMO.

After sending a email saying I was not happy how they managed to "Trick" me into paying the additioanl monies for 2day delivery when it wasnt even going to be processed for 2 weeks, they finally sent a response back (After they ahd already processed my shipment) Saying the following

"We are glad that you have ordered with LifeProof! As far as ETA on the product goes, your LifeProof case will be ready for shipping within the next week or two and you will receive an email with delivery information when your order ships. If you use an upgraded shipping method, it will take effect once we actually ship your product, so you will receive it on your doorstep sooner than it would have reached you with standard shipping.

If you would like us to remove your expedited shipping method, please reply to this email within the next 48 hours."

By this time I already already rec'd my order has shipped statement so that is how long it took for a response. Bad Customer response time too IMO.

OK Anyway enough on the whole pre-order process let's talk about the case itself.

The case is Very thin(ish) for the job it does and the material it is made of feels very good, Slides into a pocket very well without sticking all over the place and I tried to smudge it with greasy fingers (Which all my new cases fall prey to grease smudges after first use) Well I couldnt smudge it.

When you rec' the Lifeproof case there is a website to goto to view the video instructions on how to install it. (See below)

http://www.lifeproof.com\mip4

Although we are all experts at installing cases (I mean how difficult is that) I would still recommend watching the video especially on removing the case.

I like everything about the case with the exception of the screen. They advise you to take your screen protector off (I didnt) and it works fine. They also say there will be a slight bulge of the screen after installing it, this is normal and just press it againt your chest or thight to remove it. (Doesnt work)

The screen (although supposedly scratch proof) is much too shiny for me and very cheap plasticy looking. Not impressed with the screen in the least bit. It does have a slight bulge in the screen, even after resetting it twice (Last time I got most of it out) it still doesnt scream quality when you have a cheap plastic looking screen cover that will actually make clicking noises as you press on it. If your fingers are even slightly sticky from sweat or grease it tends to catch on the screen making even more squeaking noises.

Dont get me wrong, in order for this thing to work, It has to have a screen cover, Just make the specs for how it covers the screen a little tighter and maybe use a glare proof screen cover? just a suggestion Lifeproof.

I made calls with it installed and I did listen to some music on it, the speakers seem to be fine, no noticeable drop in quality or any hissing from the plastic covering the speakers or earpiece.

Fits on the Iphone Extremly well. Solid feeling and no loose parts anywhere on it.

Overall (Since I havent tried to destory it yet I will give it 7 out of 10)

-1 For Cheap Looking and feeling screen
-1 havent tested it yet
-1 Pre-Order Headache

Anyone heard of these LifeProof Cases... http://www.lifeproof.com/lifeproof-store/apple-cases/iphone-4.

Check out the vid's under the media tab for the underwater video shoots with the phone.

Pretty sweet but da%m $70 bucks for a case is a bit insane.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Maybe a Keeper but Probably Not

Two iPhone 4's with Otterbox Defenders for the past year. My wife complained hers attracted lint and that the rubber "grabbed" when removing from the slot in her purse. I like the "tactical" look and protection of the Defender, but the bulk is a bit much. Therefore, we tried the Lifeproof.

It is VERY expensive for what you get. The materials feel inferior to those of the Defender and I seriously doubt it provides as much shock protection from drops. The screen protector is flimsy, shiny, and traps air creating a pillow effect that Lifeproof says will go away in about a week. We'll see about that.

You CAN EASILY get a lot of smudges on the screen too, seemingly more so than the Otterbox or naked. That's nothing regular cleaning won't take care off. What is a HUGE problem is overall reduced volume on both ends and the effect on the speakerphone function, rendering it useless. At first, it didn't work at all. Lifeproof's "fix" is to blow on the microphone. That sort of took care of part of the problem. What remains is a strong echo effect. They say they will ship a 3 minute fix that will make it work correctly. Why ship me defective cases in the first place? I spent over 200 bucks on three cases including the spare.

The Defender, at a going rate of less than half the price, is a much better bargain. Unless you plan on swimming with your iPhone, this is not the last word in protective iPhone cases as their marketing department would have you believe. It looks good, but between the reduced screen clarity and touch function, speakerphone issues, etc., it is very close to deceptive advertising, if not already over the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.