Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:29 AM   #1
vomer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here we go:

[ Lion Boot Disk ]
Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.

Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”

Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.

Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.

Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.

Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc.
vomer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Lukeit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Shanghai, China
And is it possible (and how) to make a clean install from that boot disk or from a "restored" dmg image?
Thanks a lot!
Lukeit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:31 AM   #3
(marc)
macrumors 6502a
 
(marc)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the woods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeit View Post
And is it possible (and how) to make a clean install from that boot disk or from a "restored" dmg image?
Thanks a lot!
Exactly, is it possible to install Lion without having any OS installed?
(marc) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 05:34 AM   #4
pwatson80
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by (marc) View Post
Exactly, is it possible to install Lion without having any OS installed?
I 2nd that, or is it 3rd.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe you can purchase a DVD at or cost, or even some kind of boot disk to download the installation on the fly. Much like Linux has done for years...

Would be nice to have some official word regarding this from God himself. WWDC raised a few questions in my mind regarding Office/Enterprise distribution.
__________________
15.4" Unibody MBP Late 2008, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB 7200rpm Samsung HDD , OS 10.7
pwatson80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:19 AM   #5
solace
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwatson80 View Post
I 2nd that, or is it 3rd.

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe you can purchase a DVD at or cost, or even some kind of boot disk to download the installation on the fly. Much like Linux has done for years...

Would be nice to have some official word regarding this from God himself. WWDC raised a few questions in my mind regarding Office/Enterprise distribution.
it is possible to clean install with a burned disc of DP4... i did it on 2 machines. so i'd hope they'll leave that in for the final version as well.
solace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
If you can make a bootable DVD then it's good. I've made a backup bootable DVD of snow leopard, even made a bootable flash drive for a hackintosh. If Lion somehow prevents this then buying a new HDD or in my case a new SSD would seem impossible if I wanted my OS on it.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:41 AM   #7
(marc)
macrumors 6502a
 
(marc)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: the woods
I can confirm from my fresh Lion install that this is possible. I used this guide but it might as well work out of the box...
(marc) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:07 PM   #8
xWinDows
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I tried following this but the DVD's that I created were not bootable. What am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomer View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here we go:

[ Lion Boot Disk ]
Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.

Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”

Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.

Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.

Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.

Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc.
xWinDows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:39 PM   #9
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xWinDows View Post
I tried following this but the DVD's that I created were not bootable. What am I doing wrong?
Are you sure you burned this a an "Image" and not just burned the dmg to the dvd?
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}
xgman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 03:33 PM   #10
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a
 
rmbrown09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vomer View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here we go:

[ Lion Boot Disk ]
Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.

Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”

Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.

Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.

Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.

Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc.
I open package contents on the installer but I cannot find the folder you specify... Where exactly is it? Am I clicking the wrong thing?
__________________
Had: 4 MBP's + 1 MBA
HAVE: 2600k i7 @ 4.5GHz, GTX 690 OC'd, SSD RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 @ 2400Mhz, HAF X Case, 27" 1440p Catleap, BlackWidow Ultimate, Windows 7!
rmbrown09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:05 PM   #11
jack2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
my steps was

1) make new partition for a Lion
2) inside SL, install the lion from InstallESD.dmg
3) back to SL copy InstallESD.dmg to my external hard
4) backup my files from SL
5) inside Lion, Erase SL partition "Optional"
6) resize the Old partition to Lion

now everything works fine with me
jack2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:23 PM   #12
xWinDows
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Yes, because the DVD does not contain the DMG but the folders inside the DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Are you sure you burned this a an "Image" and not just burned the dmg to the dvd?
xWinDows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:25 PM   #13
JoshBoy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via AIM to JoshBoy Send a message via MSN to JoshBoy Send a message via Skype™ to JoshBoy
can this be done on a usb stick at all?
__________________
JoshBoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:24 PM   #14
jowie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBoy View Post
can this be done on a usb stick at all?
That's a very good question.
jowie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:36 PM   #15
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a
 
rmbrown09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie View Post
That's a very good question.
Yep, I have an Air so had to do it this way.

Once you have the .dmg (However you obtained it)

Open disk utility and click your USB.

This is mine, I have 2 partitions on my 320GB External HDD, works the same on a USB though.

Click your partition, not the overhead name of the drive.
In this case I would select "Other" or the "Install ESD" (Although that is my current 10.7 installer)

Go to restore and select the 10.7 dmg as your source, the partition as the destination. Done.

__________________
Had: 4 MBP's + 1 MBA
HAVE: 2600k i7 @ 4.5GHz, GTX 690 OC'd, SSD RAID 0, 16GB DDR3 @ 2400Mhz, HAF X Case, 27" 1440p Catleap, BlackWidow Ultimate, Windows 7!
rmbrown09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:03 AM   #16
STC1709
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
bump it to the top
STC1709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:49 AM   #17
JamesM
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
where does lion download to?
__________________
27" iMac 3.4Ghz - MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz - iPad 3 - iPhone 5 - iPhone 2G
JamesM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:20 AM   #18
jowie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC1709 View Post
bump it to the top
Looks like this is not so much of an issue any more, since Apple just announced today that from August you will be able to buy Lion on a USB stick for something like $69?
jowie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:39 AM   #19
Doug0915
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
How about AFTER you install Lion?

How do I create a boot disk if I realized I wanted one AFTER I upgraded to Lion? I tried re-downloading the installer from app store and it will not let me.
Doug0915 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:45 AM   #20
robby818
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug0915 View Post
How do I create a boot disk if I realized I wanted one AFTER I upgraded to Lion? I tried re-downloading the installer from app store and it will not let me.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't realize the installer would be deleted after upgrading.
robby818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:08 AM   #21
Guini
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Same here, any ideas people?
Guini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:15 AM   #22
trfjason
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Yes, the installer gets deleted after the installation. I used Time Machine to backup my whole system right before I installed Lion and also copy the installation package to a USB.

Once you finished downloading Lion, it should appear in your Applications folder.

Make sure you backup the installation package before you install or else you won't have a chance to back up it later.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 Series 160GB
trfjason is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:19 AM   #23
definitive
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Where is the installation app downloaded to?
definitive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:27 AM   #24
JamesM
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by trfjason View Post
Yes, the installer gets deleted after the installation. I used Time Machine to backup my whole system right before I installed Lion and also copy the installation package to a USB.

Once you finished downloading Lion, it should appear in your Applications folder.

Make sure you backup the installation package before you install or else you won't have a chance to back up it later.
So basically if you didn't back it up before installing it you've got no chance of doing a clean install at a later date?

Not impressed about this.
__________________
27" iMac 3.4Ghz - MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz - iPad 3 - iPhone 5 - iPhone 2G
JamesM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:35 AM   #25
superAl1394
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
So basically if you didn't back it up before installing it you've got no chance of doing a clean install at a later date?

Not impressed about this.
If I had to guess, it disappears the installer data into another partition
superAl1394 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Do I Create a Lion Boot/Install DVD from a Lion USB Stick? teletran3 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 10 Apr 13, 2013 09:41 AM
Snow leopard boot disk from hard drive wont boot in LION shuweb Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 4 Dec 23, 2012 11:57 PM
Create a USB boot disk for OSX Lion monkeywalker Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 16 Aug 19, 2012 08:51 AM
create a boot disk? tbluhp OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Jul 10, 2012 10:55 AM
Boot problem question - lion boot recovery dvd disk cool11 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 5 Jun 1, 2012 03:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC