Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
Question about the new Display. The Thunderbolt port will control audio, screen brightness, etc, without the need for the USB cable?

It also has only 1 thunderbolt port, how do you daisy chain multiple monitors? Is one of the ends of the cable from the actual monitor a Thunderbolt port?

Thunderbolt can do everything USB can do and a lot more.

The monitor is connected to the computer using a cable with a Thunderbolt connector. The monitor has a TB port in the back, so you can connect another monitor to it for daisy chaining.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
How long before current hardware starts shipping with Lion pre-installed? I'm busting to order a new 27" iMac!
I just ordered one about a week ago but it seems like they held back on shipping it. It's due to come today so I will tell what I found in the box.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I am sure you not the only one, but you are the minority. Consumers as a whole are abandoning the physical media, and buying content digitally.

Curious where you pulled this fact from? Recent polls at cnet.com, ign.com, and other tech sites say that more people prefer having physical media just for the simple reason of reinstalling/backup.

ALSO, In my personal experience, as a college student, every textbook I buy has some crapware software disc i have to install for my classes. God forbid we use pen and paper anymore... But thats another story.

Last edited:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Discontinuing the polycarbonate MacBook was a smart move, imo. It causes more problems than any other Apple Product. From cracked casing, to the rubber grip on the bottom of the unit bubbling and peeling from high heat. Apple will now have to shell out slightly less money for repairs.

MBrod208

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Solid State

I would have liked the option of a smaller SSD for the mini that was less expensive. Maybe 100 GB or less. I would have been all over that.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not really understanding why the MacBook is no longer available to the general public. I think it is important to offer a laptop with a price under $1,000, especially for high school and collage students.

Anyone think the MacBook will resurface in the future?

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Will Bluetooth 4.0 be a software upgrade for the latest iMac?

Bluetooth Low Energy aka Bluetooth 4.0 is a new chipset and new spec 802.15.1. Its possible to load Bluetooth 4.0 firmware on existing bluetooth equipment but it will be in a less power saving dual-mode. To gain the real power savings (single-mode), you'll need the new chipset.
But the question is, why do you need Bluetooth Low Energy for an iMac? You never run on battery power.

dissemin8or

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
FinchTV is a PPC app

MTR has been Universal since 3.0, but FinchTV is PPC only, so I can't upgrade to Lion because I need to be able to look at DNA sequences.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Am I the only one who hates Apple are their forcing ways. Removing Optical drives when MANY still use DVDs. I use my laptop for DVD playback all the time, buying a DVD feels much nicer than using iTunes.
Just use HandBrake and rip all your movies. The movies I playback on my laptop, iPod, iPad, iPhone and 50" HDTV (with AppleTV) always look and sound terrific. One file but it works everywhere. It's free and the only cost is the storage of the files themselves. Personally, I have probably 400GB right now used for my movies and tv shows.

Same for CD installs, what happens when you don't have Internet. Rip-off selling it for a stupid price.
Just buy the external SuperDrive for $99. Yes, it's an additional cost, but the MBA went down in price. Personally the trade off to use the superdrive occasionally for installations but having a super-thin laptop VERSUS the drive built in but having a thicker computer is quite good. I hope they remove the drives in all their machines if it means light/thinner/smaller. At this point, it doesn't make sense for the iMac or Mac Pro because the size difference wouldn't be that different so I'm ok with them there, but the laptops need to be as portable as possible. The only think I hope they do now that they mac mini is without a drive is to redesign the External SuperDrive to perfectly match the Mini for easy stacking.

Windows 8 has higher hopes in my books now, for one it'll very likely be CD and USB installed (For tablets needing USB) and it does not force anything upon you.
Goodbye and so long!

quizbizX

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Regarding getting rid of optical drives, I just wanted to comment that it plays perfectly into Apple's iCloud business model. Long term strategy to create dependancies on apps in their cloud. Means more control. Less piracy.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Question about the new Display. The Thunderbolt port will control audio, screen brightness, etc, without the need for the USB cable?

It also has only 1 thunderbolt port, how do you daisy chain multiple monitors? Is one of the ends of the cable from the actual monitor a Thunderbolt port?

You don't need multiple monitors. Final Cut Pro 7 was the only application that really used multiple monitors and they killed it, so problem solved!

Think different!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
disappointing, for an "ultimate"

Apple Thunderbolt Display

- Apple's forthcoming Thunderbolt display, shipping within the next 60 days, is being positioned as an "ultimate docking station". The display uses a single Thunderbolt connection to support FaceTime camera, audio, USB, Firewire 800 and Ethernet through the display.

With Apple's obsession with clean and simple design, it's disappointing that Apple weren't more innovative with the idea of a docking station.

"Clean and simple" would mean that the docking station could internally hold all of the peripherals that the majority of users would need - not that it would be the hub connecting a rat's nest of external devices.

The "ultimate docking station" should have:
  • a BD-R drive (BTO for none, DVD-R, BD-R)
  • a large 3.5" disk drive for backups and bulk storage
  • a 2.5" drive slot for a fast or SSD drive for working storage
  • an SDXC slot
  • a discrete graphics card so that a system with integrated graphics could have powerful graphics when docked (like Sony does)
  • USB 3.0 ports
  • eSATA ports

Apple basically already has everything needed for this in the 27" Imac chassis. Just replace the mainboard with a much simpler, cheaper board that's a TBolt hub.

Apple had a chance to redefine what "desktop replacement" means by creating an "insanely great" docking station. Instead, as someone said here recently, Apple have created an "insanely meh" monitor.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.