Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
I will be getting a 13 MBA and actually didn't realize how much more it was for only double the storage. Anyway, I was thinking about ordering a 64GB SD card (for about $90 on Amazon) and just "permanently" sticking that in there to store my iTunes and such... do you think it could handle the constant use?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Yes, it will handle it, but 1) the SD card will be sticking out the whole time and 2) SD cards aren't that fast, nowhere near as much as a true SSD (SanDisk do up to about 40MB/s)

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Yes, it will handle it, but 1) the SD card will be sticking out the whole time and 2) SD cards aren't that fast, nowhere near as much as a true SSD (SanDisk do up to about 40MB/s)

As long as it can perform as fast a an HDD I'll be good... (does it?) And damn, really? I've never messed with the Airs so I didn't know that it stuck out and didn't go flush. Hmmm....

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008

Delkin do 80/90MB/s SDHC cards

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
What does the average HDD read/write at?
Circa 80-110MB/s, depending on the drive, file etc. Laptop drives a bit slower. So even if you do pick up a top end SDHC card you won't be hitting those speeds.

You could use an SD card for storing something like an iTunes library, documents etc., namely things that don't need the fastest speeds.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011

Circa 80-110MB/s, depending on the drive, file etc. Laptop drives a bit slower. So even if you do pick up a top end SDHC card you won't be hitting those speeds.

You could use an SD card for storing something like an iTunes library, documents etc., namely things that don't need the fastest speeds.

How do you think that would work with my AppleTV streaming from it?

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Bigger SSDs last longer and perform better than smaller ones.

On top of that SSDs tend to get slower as free space runs out.

Might be worth it to get the 256GB.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
A few issues with SD cards.

-Reliability - Memory cards fail at a pretty high rate

-Speed- Even a class 10 card will be slow if you have it almost filled up, no cache or anything on them.

-Like others said, it will stick out

Just get an external for much less money that will be faster and much more reliable.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Edit: Oops! Double post. Ban me now. :(

Well this really sucks.

I'm not too familiar with SSDs as I've never had a machine with one. So does this mean that if my drive (the MBA one) is 80% full, it will start running slower?

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Edit: Oops! Double post. Ban me now. :(

Well this really sucks.

I'm not too familiar with SSDs as I've never had a machine with one. So does this mean that if my drive (the MBA one) is 80% full, it will start running slower?

A little bit but not that much. TRIM support helps.

fixitgood

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Speed test of SD card in MacBook Air

My mid-2011 MacBook Air recognizes and uses a Komputerbay 64 GB SDXC card just fine. It's a $54 class 10 card from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AN1DHI) and I formatted it Mac OS Extended (Journaled). However, I only get read speeds around 33 MB/s and write speeds around 15 MB/s from this card.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I tried this with a netbook I had and the speed was horrible. It was a class 10 card but it still was slower then molasses. never ever again will I waste my time with that.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
SD cards are terribly unreliable. Make sure you have backups of whatever data you're doing this with.

I haven't found this to be true at all, and I have extensively used SD cards for years. However, I have always used Sandisk brand cards. I am well aware that many of the lower priced, off-brand cards have a high rate of data loss and almost never perform to their rated speed.

To respond to the OP, an SD card will not be a good replacement for larger internal storage if you are truly accessing over 128GB of data on a frequent basis. Personally, I moved a few dozen GB of infrequently used documents and files to an SD card, allowing me to use the default 128GB drive and still have 40GB free space. This is with a 40GB music library, 15GB photo library, and 10GB of video.

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan

HUGE bummer. Man... I really don't want to fork over $300 more for the 256...

A typical 2.5 HDD will do 80-95 MB reads and writes (actual). At least thats what I see with my 2010 MBP 13 and 2011 MBP 15, both with 7500 RPM drives.

----------

A little bit but not that much. TRIM support helps.

I don't TRIM is necessary as it once was.

----------

I will be getting a 13 MBA and actually didn't realize how much more it was for only double the storage. Anyway, I was thinking about ordering a 64GB SD card (for about $90 on Amazon) and just "permanently" sticking that in there to store my iTunes and such... do you think it could handle the constant use?

You PROBABLY don't need blazing performance for iTunes if you are just playing movies and music. A fast SD should work fine for speed. I'd be more concerned reliability the physical aspects of this solution. I think that the solution should work fine.

Be sure that you are using time machine and that the SD is included in the backups. As long you backup regularly you risk is pretty low.

Give a shot, what do you have to lose. If it doesn't work, send the SD back. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.