Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frito1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2011
oklahoma
i have a 2006 imac when it gets warm it puts a horizontal line through the screen and then it will occasionaly freeze, any way to fix this issue

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Sounds like bad graphics to me, so that would be a bad logic board.

So, yes. You can fix it by buying a new machine.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Not so fast . . . if it's the 17" iMac, there are plenty of good iMac motherboards attached to vertical stripey LCD panels, that the OP could probably get cheap. :D

Good point. I'm just less inclined to consider the used route.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i would not go the used part route unless you want to go from one problem to the next , as the stripes are more common then rain in a british summer
so a used logicboard is likely to devellop the same fault or others very soon , as a used board has the same age , and the faults come with age , a reason why those early intel iMac's can now be had for less then the price of a equal Mac mini (same processor) here in the UK as more and more iMac's fail (display /logicboard )
so sell as quick as you physiacally can for as much as possible

getting a Mac is like the property ladder , use it for 1-2 years then sell it with profit and get a newer better one ,keep it 1-2 years and sell for profit ,get a new one, keep it for 1-2 years andsell for profit , get a bigger and newer......... and you never again spend more then £200 tops on a new Mac
if you dont follow that strategy it will get expensive to keep up with repairs after apple care ended

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.