Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPod 'Halo' Effect, Mac Mini and More...

MacWorld reports on comments by Apple's Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer during Thursday's Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium.

Oppenheimer provides some insight into Apple's recent success and products. According to the Apple executive, there is anecdotal evidence that the 'halo' effect of the iPod bringing more Mac customers does exist, but no hard numbers are available on that topic.

Oppenheimer responded to the question of licensing the Mac OS to other companies by stating they are happen with the company's rate of growth and with no plans to do such licensing. The often discussed topic had recent been raised again with news that PC manufacturers were asking Apple to let them license the Mac OS X operating system.

Other interesting tidbits included:

- Margins on the iPod Shuffle are less than the rest of their iPod models
- Margins of the Mac Mini are on par of the eMac and below their corporate average.
- Oppenheimer felt that most customers would prefer to stream content (ala AirTunes) to their home entertainment systems rather than have a dedicated media center computer.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Phobophobia
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Phobophobia
Same as margins of the eMac... can't be that bad, right?

-- Don't Panic
Phobophobia is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:45 PM   #3
bhibbert
macrumors newbie

Most customers would prefer to stream...

I agree with the streaming but would love to see a real streaming solution from Apple. At the moment the only option is audio only via Airport Express. How about uPNP support in OSX (only available through EyeConnect at the moment). Or what about an Airport Express with DVI or Component Video out?

Until either of those come along although I don't think that Apple has a viable streaming solution.

Comments?
bhibbert is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Gump
macrumors member

I'll give you a Halo effect:

Longhorn will crush Apple in 2006.
Gump is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:52 PM   #5
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

I'd like to see an AirMovie technology... I have El Gato's EyeHome, and it works... but it is simply sub-par, in my opinion.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Suburban Trow
macrumors newbie

No Dedicated Media Center

I don't need a dedicated media center, as long as I have a remote screen for my Mac.

A wireless 'remote control' that has a screen adequate to view iTunes, iPhoto (if we're lucky - even Safari and Mail). I don't want to hijack or have to turn on my TV screen anytime I want to change songs (streaming from iTunes to my Stereo). Assuming one solution would be to add video capabilities to Airport Express or similar to view streamed video / pictures.

My computer is in the den/office on the other side of the house from my entertainment room. Sometime's I am just too lazy to get up and walk there if I want to quick surf the web for some information about the show I am watching (seems to be mostly during football games when I want to check my fantasy team). Likewise, if I am waiting for an email from someone, looking down at a 9 inch screen and poking through a few emails would be nice.

I'm not talking about heavy duty stuff here, just the basics. I don't want to edit movies in Final Cut while sitting on my couch...

Last edited by Suburban Trow; Feb 26, 2005 at 07:57 PM. Reason: clarity
Suburban Trow is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 07:59 PM   #7
minesgeek
macrumors member

dedication sucks

i am not a big fan of the dedicated computer either. sonos has a pretty cool concept which basically relys on streaming. something that should be incorporated more into an idea for streaming video.

this is also why apple investing in a company using a dedicated unit for video is a bad idea.
minesgeek is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:05 PM   #8
runninmac
macrumors 65816

Sounds pretty good. We cant excpect apple to make a lot of profit off from selling there cheepest ever mac and iPod.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:08 PM   #9
~loserman~
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump

Doubtful....

1st. Mac users are the most loyal of all computer users.
2nd. Microsoft's Market share will not increase because of Longhorn. MS's hope is that Longhorn will stop MS's losing of market share to both Apple and Linux.
~loserman~ is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:09 PM   #10
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
Quote:

that's more of a "devil's horns" effect, wouldn't you say?
shadowfax is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:11 PM   #11
rtdgoldfish
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Riiiiiight....If that happens, I will eat my shoe.

I agree about the streaming content as well. I love my AirPort Express and would buy a new one if it offered streaming video. If they do make a video-streaming APE, they would need a remote to go with it.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:15 PM   #12
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

One point on Oppenheimer's remarks. He has changed the projection of 125 stores to the end of the fiscal year from the end of the year as he said in January. The figure of 125 by the end of 2005 has become totally unbelievable and the 125 by the end of September, while much more possible, still represents a slow down of the process of training and construction from job listing to opening. With 102 stores now open and 27 now listed as new locations, it is entirely possible that the 125 figure could be reached by mid-July.
Sayhey is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:16 PM   #13
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I would like to see Longhorn. Hurry Microsoft, earn your monopoly or die.
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:18 PM   #14
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Or 2007, or 2008 or....
JordanNZ is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:21 PM   #15
d.perel
macrumors regular

When the iPod bubble bursts, or cools, Apple will then license the software it used iPod profits to improve to PC manufacturers. For the meanwhile, they would rather push their hardware, while making PC manufacturers salivate. Or so I think
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:21 PM   #16
vouder17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Ok troll on the loose
vouder17 is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:31 PM   #17
minesgeek
macrumors member

yeah, so vid streaming...

i think that video streaming is something that should be on the horizon for apple. vid APE could just be a wireless mirroring of your desktop or extension of its space allowing vid/photo/music control and streaming.

but like someone else stated earlier, the key would be not having to control the music over your tv and not having to control the video with the mouse...but rather with your BT or WiFi iPod or another trick remote like with the sonos.

that would be the best of both a wireless environment and small amounts of hardware...
minesgeek is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:36 PM   #18
aafuss1
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to aafuss1 Send a message via MSN to aafuss1 Send a message via Yahoo to aafuss1
I'm suprised about the eMac-the sales margins of it and the Mac mini are similar-so there must be a faster eMac coming soon.

Good to hear Apple isn't into licensing the Mac OS again.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 09:04 PM   #19
nichos
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to nichos Send a message via MSN to nichos Send a message via Yahoo to nichos
If the mac mini has the same margin as the eMac, I wonder why they didn't introduce it sooner? I know it may be "targetted" at PC-switch users, but I think a lot of mac users find it a cool addition to the mac line up.
nichos is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 09:05 PM   #20
zelmo
macrumors 603

Quote:

Where's edesignuk with his almighty macro power???
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:34 PM   #21
jwhitnah
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jwhitnah
You go girl

Quote:

But first they have to copy tiger.... And what of the rumor saying that MS was not going to complete Fog-Horn-Leg-Horn?

Have to say M$ has been looking pretty lame over the last 2 years. Everybody claiming to have the next iPod killer, and oh yeah, its only a matter of time until WMA/MS takes over and whoops Apple's butt. Where's the beef microsloth?
Dull Latitude 810 2.0 GHz WUXGA. The screen kicks a**!
Selling: HP PeeCee 2.4GHz
jwhitnah is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:14 PM   #22
narco
macrumors 65816

So does this meant that Bill Palmer (http://billpalmer.net/) was right about the mini? Seemed like everyone and their grandmother was going out to buy one, but then I forgot that all I do is hang out in Mac forums.

I really hope things change though -- it's only been little over a month, right?

Fishes,
narco.
narco is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:28 PM   #23
ASP272
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
So does this meant that Bill Palmer (http://billpalmer.net/) was right about the mini? Seemed like everyone and their grandmother was going out to buy one, but then I forgot that all I do is hang out in Mac forums.

I really hope things change though -- it's only been little over a month, right?

Fishes,
narco.
I think the problem with the Mini is that it is being sold in stores like CompUSA where you usually don't get the "Apple guy" and end up with a PC only moron of a salesman (this is experience talking here, I was once a computer salesman for Circuit City) who tells you - yeah the price is cheap but you don't get a keyboard/mouse or monitor and you can get this DooDoo brand PC over here with crappy monitor and crappy printer for just $100 more! No mention of OS X superiority, no mention of zero viruses, no mention of iLife, no mention of ease of use, no mention of form factor, elegance, style, and just plain old sensibility in investing in Apple. OK, so I got a little carried away, but you get the picture.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:29 PM   #24
ipodmann
macrumors member

I would like to see some break down in regards to that 11% of Windows iPod owners buying Macs according to the wallstreet dude. If 30% of iPod owners are Windows based than that is about 3 million ipods. 11% of that would about 300K units. That would not be enough units sold to increase market share a whole lot. Anybody can help me out on this.
ipodmann is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:32 PM   #25
Lacero
macrumors 601

Apple's making a mistake by not leveraging OSX by providing it to the PC platform. Once Longhorn arrives in 2006 or 2007, Windows users will have no reason to switch over, at least not in significant numbers.
Lacero is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)